SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux to host

tuggnutt

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As much as I despise Political Correctness - This is ONE instance where it is justified! It's great UNA is undefeated - they earned their two home playoff games but even if you're unbeaten you should prove yourself on the road if the National Championship game is played on your homefield. PLUS - this will (hopefully) be a little revenge for '93 when we had to travel down there, play on a crappy field, get sh*tkicked, then later find out OOPS we "miscalculated" and were playing with 50+ total scholarships! NOW is the time to get a hold of everyone you know and get their butts to the ticketoffice asap! I can guarentee this game will be on TV but we need to pack the place like we did in 2001 against UC-Davis. The Lions will be blown away AND intimidated by the atmosphere we can produce but only if everyone chips in to make it happen!! This is our chance to repay the Sioux for the great efforts they've had this year in making all those last-minute wins happen to get us in this position!!!

PS - To our "friends" down south....

State of the Art ALERUS CENTER - $80 Million+...

The Cavernous - totally void of atmosphere FARGOBARN - $45 Million+...

6 Playoff games in 3 years VS. ZERO in Ten years (or at least 15 years with your tail-tucking move)...PRICELESS!!!

All I can say is...WOW! I didn't think that there was any way this game would be in Grand Forks. I've made the last two games and I plan to be there again to yell myself hoarse.

And here I thought that with the clapping injury I sustained today at the WSU game, I was done for the season. Time to suck it up and cheer the soon on to another win at the Fabulous Al! ;)

I'm going to toot my own horn. I had been calling people and telling them all week that if we won we would play UNA at HOME.

A few reasons:

1. SiouxMeNow mentioned that UNA should have to play on the road. Why should they get to play every game at home and the NC?

2. Weather. Does the DII championship ever have good weather. The NC$$ wants games to be played in good conditions.

3. Money/Fan support. Even with our pitily crowds we've been comparable/averaging more fans than UNA.

Why is UND hosting??? North Alabama out drew UND and has a better record. I would be hoping mad if I was the Lions. They drew over 9,000 fans on a Thanksgiving weekend, while UND couldn't mustard up 8,000. That is simply pathetic.

Now, I could see if UNA had only drawn 2,000 fans or something as the NCAA is all about money making abilities. But having UND host over a team that outdrew them and that team has an undefeated record has to rank, while UND has a loss is a worse descision of having the higher ranked Bison going to Delta State a few years back.

All I can say is goodbye to D2. I am sure the I-AA playoffs have some similar problems but from what I have seen so far as if you draw great at the ticket gates you might get the benifit of the doubt to host but if you are a Top 4 team you will get to host regardless of ticket sales.

All I can say is goodbye to D2. I am sure the I-AA playoffs have some similar problems but from what I have seen so far as if you draw great at the ticket gates you might get the benifit of the doubt to host but if you are a Top 4 team you will get to host regardless of ticket sales.

Of course you have to make the playoffs, be it D2 or D1-AA. Have fun watching from the same place you've watched for years.

Did it feel good to get in one last rant because the Sioux get a home game?

I would like to understand how the NCAA came to the decision on who will host the semefinal playoff game? On the radio it was stated that attendance has effect, but its football rankings, strength of schedule, etc... that are factored in first.

UNA must have had a weak schedule, because I would think a team with a #1 ranking and no losses would get home field. If attendance is accurate, as Bison_Kent said, (I have not checked it out, I am taking his post as fact) it's pretty much a wash and UND must have something else over UNA.

I would just like to understand it a little better. Even though the home field will help a ton with the game, I don't like it if it is not truely deserved. I am sure there are valid reasons, I just don't know what they are.

The only reason I can come up with is the NCAA did not want UNA to have a home field run through the playoffs to the National Title.

Why can't D2 come up with a neutral game site?

I don't think it will matter whether N. Alabama has the home field or not next week. They are going to win big over the Sioux. My claims are for the sakes of D2 football. Why does a team with a better record and a better attendence average in the playoffs have to go on the road? N. Alabama will be the best team that the Sioux have played this year and will destroy them. I would say that N. Alabama will win by 21. The home field for the Sioux keeps them that close. If it was in Florence, it would have been worse.

I completely disagree, It all depends on what sioux team shows up to play. The UND defense is not as good as 2001, but if they are not on the field the entire game they will get the job done. If the offense is on track they can score on any d2 team.

How conservative will UND be on offense? Will the offense be on the field long enough for the defense to rest? and what Sioux team shows up? and will it be for the entire game?

It's funny that a lot of people have already predicted the Sioux to lose, but has anybody on this board watched both teams play? How do we know that UNA has good wins against good competition?

In reality most of us are just guessing.

I don't think it will matter whether N. Alabama has the home field or not next week.  They are going to win big over the Sioux.  My claims are for the sakes of D2 football.  Why does a team with a better record and a better attendence average in the playoffs have to go on the road?  N. Alabama will be the best team that the Sioux have played this year and will destroy them.  I would say that N. Alabama will win by 21.  The home field for the Sioux keeps them that close.  If it was in Florence, it would have been worse.

It's certainly possible that UND will lose badly, but there's a reason games are played on the field and not on paper. I hate to bring this game up again since you guys talk about it constantly, but if a non-playoff dII team like NDSU can win on the road against a supposed I-AA power like Montana, then anything is possible. That's why we play the games. Even with a loss next week, I'll take an 11-2 season, an NCC title and a semi-final appearance any year.

My first post on this website. I am happy that the Sioux have home field advantage.

Attendance WSU vs UND 7,944

Attendance average for UND 2003 - 8,956

Attendance average for UNA 2003 - 8,163

I couldn't locate the average for UNA game against CN. However I think this would indicate attendance is a non issue.

UNA hasn't lost and UND has lost 1 game. Slight advantage UNA

I have to assume that the swing decision must have been Strength of Schedule index.

We had better fill this stadium this weekend!! We need another effort from the fans such UCD in 01. We can do our part and the team will have to do their part.

However if they play like they did yesterday I don't think that they will beat UNA.

Here is an interesting thought though.. yesterday winona's announcer was saying like it was fact that the winner out of yesterday's game would host UNA next weekend. Either he is totally stupid or he knew something most of us didn't know. Also, here is a quote from today's florence newspaper which was probably writtern after yesterday's game.

No. 2 UNA (13-0) will travel to face North Dakota on Saturday for a chance to play in the Division II Championship Game.

I am glad UND gets a homegame, but unless a good reason comes out to why UNA didnt get a homegame I think they got screwed. If UND had the better record and UND had to travel to UNA i would be hoppin mad!!

If I had to guess, I would say that the deciding factor here was that the NCAA didn't want a team to potentially win the national championship without ever leaving its home field. UNA plays its home games at Braley Municipal Stadium in Florence, which of course is the site for the championship game. Yes, I would be upset if I were a UNA fan, but I would venture to say that if the Alerus were hosting the title game, and UND was in the same situation as UNA, the same thing would happen.

We've seen similar things before here at UND. For years, the womens basketball Elite 8 was at the site of one of the participants. Not coincidentally, that changed immediately after UND won its first title at home in '97. I have even heard that the reason the NCAA didn't want Rochester (MN) to host it again like they did in '01 was because it was too close to ND, and it would be too big of an advantage for UND (or NDSU) because they would have so many more fans than any of the other schools.

I would like to understand how the NCAA came to the decision on who will host the semefinal playoff game? On the radio it was stated that attendance has effect, but its football rankings, strength of schedule, etc... that are factored in first.

UNA must have had a weak schedule, because I would think a team with a #1 ranking and no losses would get home field. If attendance is accurate, as Bison_Kent said, (I have not checked it out, I am taking his post as fact) it's pretty much a wash and UND must have something else over UNA.

I would just like to understand it a little better. Even though the home field will help a ton with the game, I don't like it if it is not truely deserved. I am sure there are valid reasons, I just don't know what they are.

The only reason I can come up with is the NCAA did not want UNA to have a home field run through the playoffs to the National Title.

Why can't D2 come up with a neutral game site?

You pretty much nailed why UND got the home field... Strength of Schedule.

North Alabamma is undefeated, but UND had a tougher schedule. North Alabamma, if they beat UND on Saturday, will HOST the National Championship Game the next week. So why not put them on the road, against a team that played tougher opponents this year, and see if they ARE as good as their record indicates?

And as far as the neutral sights go, the NC$$ knows they won't make as much money off of a Division II game played at a nuetral sight as they would by making one of the two teams host.

I say we all should just be happy that the Sioux will be home again for a playoff football game, and let's kick some tail!!!

from the winona daily news

"CROWD NOISE: Most of the 7,944 people in attendance Saturday at the Alerus Center were cheering for the Sioux. The noise grew to a deafening level early and on every WSU third down or big UND play. The crowd was by far the largest WSU has played in front of this season home or away."

To bad that won't impress UNA.

If I had to guess, I would say that the deciding factor here was that the NCAA didn't want a team to potentially win the national championship without ever leaving its home field. UNA plays its home games at Braley Municipal Stadium in Florence, which of course is the site for the championship game. Yes, I would be upset if I were a UNA fan, but I would venture to say that if the Alerus were hosting the title game, and UND was in the same situation as UNA, the same thing would happen.

We've seen similar things before here at UND. For years, the womens basketball Elite 8 was at the site of one of the participants. Not coincidentally, that changed immediately after UND won its first title at home in '97. I have even heard that the reason the NCAA didn't want Rochester (MN) to host it again like they did in '01 was because it was too close to ND, and it would be too big of an advantage for UND (or NDSU) because they would have so many more fans than any of the other schools.

Bison K are you that bitter? tsk tsk..

How many National titles did NDSU and UND win in women's B-ball? How many schools biotched about "home cooking"?

IMHO, the NCAA for "face" sake made N-bamma make the trip. (I won't even mention the 50 scholarships they had when we played them before.) ;)

You pretty much nailed why UND got the home field... Strength of Schedule.

North Alabamma is undefeated, but UND had a tougher schedule. North Alabamma, if they beat UND on Saturday, will HOST the National Championship Game the next week. So why not put them on the road, against a team that played tougher opponents this year, and see if they ARE as good as their record indicates?

And as far as the neutral sights go, the NC$$ knows they won't make as much money off of a Division II game played at a nuetral sight as they would by making one of the two teams host.

I say we all should just be happy that the Sioux will be home again for a playoff football game, and let's kick some tail!!!

What about a football site that is not d2 for the championship? So there isn't a chance of home field for the title.

What about a football site that is not d2 for the championship? So there isn't a chance of home field for the title.

I like this idea since it is already played at a neutral site. Most of the time anyways. I'm still trying to figure out how Florence gets to host year after year. Nothing special about the place. The grass has to painted green!

Not many UNA fans at the national title game in 2001. I think they've hosted like 15 straight years, but attendance has been dipping for some time. I get the feeling that NCAA is looking to move the NC game especially after all this controversy.