SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux to host

tuggnutt

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

UND is known for thier interesting schedule.....playing such challenging teams as Crookston....yawn.

Bravo, Wyobisonman! I only hope we can expect more of these astounding observations from you on a dII football board even though NDSU has supposedly moved onward and upward. I guess I keep forgetting that UND's 11-1 record should probably have an asterisk attached to it since wins over your team, SCSU, UNO, SDSU, etc. don't really count for anything. The Crookston game, to borrow from the words of the immortal Tony Stauss, should trump everything else, and officially result in UND's schedule being considered weak.

I have no knowledge of UND's SOS - however, I can comment on UNA's.  The only out of conference games were against Jax St. (Div I-AA playoff team) and a clearly inferior Stillman College.  The other 9 games were in the Gulf South Conference.  Although the Div II polls are not used by the selection committee, you can look at the final poll to get an idea of the strength of this conference.  Valdosta St. was #1 for most of the year until UNA beat them at Valdosta St.  Southern Arkansas was in the top 20 all year with only losses to Valdosta St. and twice to UNA - once in regular season and once in playoffs.  Beyond that, Delta St. only lost to Valdosta St. but somehow did not make the playoffs (still don't understand taking Southern Arkansas over them into the playoffs).  The rest of UNA's GSC schedule was routine - can't really judge how Central Arkansas, for instance, would compare to other teams.

As for UND's size - I would agree with whoever said large teams do tend to do well in the playoffs.  I have watched very big teams win the championship game - Northern Colorado, UND in 2001, Northwest Missouri St., Pittsburg St. come to mind. 

I predict a close, high energy game on Saturday.  Of course I'm rooting for UNA, but wish both teams the best!

Sandram

Please keep in mind that when we refer to "strength of schedule," it's referring to the term as it's defined by the NCAA. Various quantities of power points are given for games depending upon whether it's a win or a loss, the winning percentage of the opponent and whether the game was home or away. We are by no means trying to say that your league is weak. The reason UND's strength of schedule index is considered higher is because your games against non-dII opponents result in very few power points. It's not necessarily fair, but that's the NCAA for you.

Please keep in mind that when we refer to "strength of schedule," it's referring to the term as it's defined by the NCAA. Various quantities of power points are given for games depending upon whether it's a win or a loss, the winning percentage of the opponent and whether the game was home or away. We are by no means trying to say that your league is weak. The reason UND's strength of schedule index is considered higher is because your games against non-dII opponents result in very few power points. It's not necessarily fair, but that's the NCAA for you.

You're right - a lot about how the NCAA does things don't make sense. However, no matter where the game is played, at least we're deciding things on the field and not in a computer war! Someone on this board mentioned having games on a neutral site - esp. the championship game. I will admit when UNA gets to the championship game, this is a HUGE advantage and admitly not fair. But until someone comes along and outbids Florence, it's going to stay here. We've has some problems in the past getting local people to attend the game - which is a shame. I, personally, have always enjoyed the game and excitement the fans from both schools bring to it.

Sandram

Hey UND, you have been given an oppertunity here, take advantage of it. We want to see you in Florence. The last thing we want is to play UNA on their home field for the nat'l championship. So go out there and end their season. Good luck, from Grand Valley State.

And to think that this UNA fan actually sat on the GVSU side (I was the only sober one) and cheered for Anes, Kircus, and the rest!! Some gratitude - but I do understand. If UNA makes it, it will be a sell-out of over 15,000.

And to think that this UNA fan actually sat on the GVSU side (I was the only sober one) and cheered for Anes, Kircus, and the rest!!

Thanks for the support last year. But as to being the only sober one I must correct you. Me and my buddies drank nothing just to insure that we would always remember that game :). If UNA does make it to the final game the crowd will for sure be a sell out. Grand Valley showed up with more fans last year than we did the past year. And it is expected that this year we will bring even more. But I hope UNA loses anyway because the home field is unfair :)

Polls don't mean squat. They are so politically biased it makes me sick. Even when we won the title in 2001 we weren't ranked very high. Polls are there to give us fans something to ponder/argue about.

Like some other fans have said, thank goodness we get to play these games.

UND is known for thier interesting schedule.....playing such challenging teams as Crookston....yawn.

This is such a tired agrument - will it ever end?

Crookston or no Crookston, bottom line for THIS year, UND is one win away from a national championship game. NDSU on the other hand is four full seasons away from having a shot at appearing in the playoffs.

I think Bison fans have bigger issues than UND playing Crookston.

Just a heads up for the listening area ....

Tomorrow night on 970 am (W-DAY of Fargo) has scheduled an interview with the AD from UNA ...

(Tonight there was much discussion regarding the very real possibility of no UND/NDSU football games for the forseeable future .... and the one commentator stated that so long as UND has realistic playoff hopes, they'd (Roger T. et al) be crazy to schedule a Div 1 AA team. A caller (pro-Bison) called in and said that "someone" from the selection committee stated that one game played out of Div II would not impact playoff consideration(s) and/or site decisions; but because UNA played 2 games (and NDSU played 2 also) that is why UNA was chosen to travel. The radio commentator disagreed with the caller; then the commentator stated that EVEN if that was true, the committee might change its mind in the coming year(s) and decide 1 game out of division was 1 too many .... one game, even if against your biggest rival, is not worth risking playoff seedings/site/etc..... I just added this brief synopsis FWIW ... the reason for the post is to note Tuesday's scheduled broadcast.)

By the way, while I'm on this board, I want to let all UND fans and the entire Grand Forks community know that at least this UNA fan is praying for Dru, her family, friends, and all those helping to look for her. It's been heartbreaking to listen to the news reports.

Sandram

Sandram...Thank you for this comment. This situation has hit the Grand Forks community pretty hard. Definately a different atmosphere around here since the news broke.

Now I find it hard to believe that Bison Kent is bitter...they made a great playoff run this year...oops, my bad. :)