SiouxSports.com Forum

Flood the NCAA with emails prior to Aug. 12th Meeting

siouxfan29

I sent this a couple Months ago never got a reply - I sent it again in your links form

My name is (Fetch)- I am 59 years old - I live in Devils Lake ND - Where the Spirit Lake Sioux live on the south side of Devils Lake

As you must know the Spirit Lake Tribe gave approval to us to use the Fighting Sioux Name

You would be amazed how many Native Americans here wear Fighting Sioux gear Proudly

I have been a Sioux Hockey season tickets holder for 28 years

I have never seen or heard any disrespect or abuse towards Native Americans

There are many points I think you need to hear about. That I don't think the NCAA knew about during the settlement

Things you should have heard or considered & what our Governor would tell you are..............(plus more)

1st - Standing Rock Sioux are so far away from Grand Forks & UND - they are mostly in South Dakota. I do believe the tribal members would approve the use of the name- But as you must of heard, their Tribal Council will not let them vote. I have suggested a referral vote, State wide, to see how the vote in Sioux County would end up - all of Standing Rock is in Sioux County. - I do feel asking for both tribes was not fair - Spirit Lake Tribe is only 90 miles from Grand Forks - I hope you know that Standing Rock gave prior approval with Tribal Leaders doing a ceremony that many at Standing Rock feel, at the time, was their word & Sacred & binding in it's time

2nd - Partisan party politics are now raising their ugly heads - The negative comments are now from Democrats trying to place blame on the Republican majority in our Legislature & our Republican Governor

3rd - What if the name were changed to Spirit Lake Sioux - dropping the Fighting from Fighting Sioux ? Win - Win - you get a more positive name we keep the proud name Sioux & our wonderful respected Logo - Remember we have never had a Mascot only a Logo made by a Native American

4th - If you were to Google how many places use Native American names all over the country - I think you would be surprised - States - Cities - even our State Highway patrol uses a Native American Chief as their symbol on our patrol cars - every state highway sign has a Native & head dress as it's symbol - it is part of our culture & used with Honor & Respect - Even the name of our State North Dakota is native name http://www.aaanativearts.com/article524.html & http://www.lenapeprograms.info/Teacher/loan_words.htm

5th - this was a honest & appears true article to most of us http://www.collegesportingnews.com/content.php?466-NCAA-Misses-The-Whole-Aircraft-Carrier-on-North-Dakota-Nickname-Issue

I'm glad our Legislature stepped in & listened to the vast majority on this - No one wants more lawsuits or to damage UND Sports teams

Please meet with our Governor & Lt. Governor they know why we are at the point in time that were at - the rest have had their chances & from them nothing new can be learned - But if you would just meet with them privately - I truly feel you would have heard the rest of the story - Otherwise the Bad Feelings about all this will never go away

We are Proud of the Name & don't want the proud people of this country to be forgotton due to Political Correctness - What is next remove all thses things ?

ftp://ftp-fc.sc.egov.usda.gov/MI/AI/ContributionsByAmericanIndians.pdf

Thank You

Sincerly

Me

• Upvote 3

I sent this a couple Months ago never got a reply - I sent it again in your links form

My name is (Fetch)- I am 59 years old - I live in Devils Lake ND - Where the Spirit Lake Sioux live on the south side of Devils Lake

As you must know the Spirit Lake Tribe gave approval to us to use the Fighting Sioux Name

You would be amazed how many Native Americans here wear Fighting Sioux gear Proudly

I have been a Sioux Hockey season tickets holder for 28 years

I have never seen or heard any disrespect or abuse towards Native Americans

There are many points I think you need to hear about. That I don't think the NCAA knew about during the settlement

Things you should have heard or considered & what our Governor would tell you are..............(plus more)

1st - Standing Rock Sioux are so far away from Grand Forks & UND - they are mostly in South Dakota. I do believe the tribal members would approve the use of the name- But as you must of heard, their Tribal Council will not let them vote. I have suggested a referral vote, State wide, to see how the vote in Sioux County would end up - all of Standing Rock is in Sioux County. - I do feel asking for both tribes was not fair - Spirit Lake Tribe is only 90 miles from Grand Forks - I hope you know that Standing Rock gave prior approval with Tribal Leaders doing a ceremony that many at Standing Rock feel, at the time, was their word & Sacred & binding in it's time

2nd - Partisan party politics are now raising their ugly heads - The negative comments are now from Democrats trying to place blame on the Republican majority in our Legislature & our Republican Governor

3rd - What if the name were changed to Spirit Lake Sioux - dropping the Fighting from Fighting Sioux ? Win - Win - you get a more positive name we keep the proud name Sioux & our wonderful respected Logo - Remember we have never had a Mascot only a Logo made by a Native American

4th - If you were to Google how many places use Native American names all over the country - I think you would be surprised - States - Cities - even our State Highway patrol uses a Native American Chief as their symbol on our patrol cars - every state highway sign has a Native & head dress as it's symbol - it is part of our culture & used with Honor & Respect - Even the name of our State North Dakota is native name http://www.aaanativearts.com/article524.html & http://www.lenapeprograms.info/Teacher/loan_words.htm

5th - this was a honest & appears true article to most of us http://www.collegesportingnews.com/content.php?466-NCAA-Misses-The-Whole-Aircraft-Carrier-on-North-Dakota-Nickname-Issue

I'm glad our Legislature stepped in & listened to the vast majority on this - No one wants more lawsuits or to damage UND Sports teams

Please meet with our Governor & Lt. Governor they know why we are at the point in time that were at - the rest have had their chances & from them nothing new can be learned - But if you would just meet with them privately - I truly feel you would have heard the rest of the story - Otherwise the Bad Feelings about all this will never go away

We are Proud of the Name & don't want the proud people of this country to be forgotton due to Political Correctness - What is next remove all thses things ?

ftp://ftp-fc.sc.egov.usda.gov/MI/AI/ContributionsByAmericanIndians.pdf

Thank You

Sincerly

Me

Dear NCAA President Mark Emmert and Executive Vice President Bernard Franklin.

I grow up in Grand Forks North Dakota for seven years before moving to Wyoming when I was 10. I grow up being picked on for having hearing problems and learning disabilitys; however, I always gained confidence when I heard about the sioux. You see it is not the sports teams that entrest me . It is the honor and corage that has helped me through the past 12 years. I just graduated from hogh school this past year. Although many said I would never make it to college. Here I am. I told myself growing up that I could never give up on my self or the leaders of the fighting sioux. Now that I am finally reaching for the stars I fined that the whole reason for trying is starting to fall. I love sports more than anyone, but I would do anything to be able to attend North Dakota the place that gave me the spirit to succed and still see the sioux living stronger then ever.

I hear all the time that the name affends others ;however, I also hear five time as many people who can relate to my story. You see the college may be known for hockey, but it is even more known for the communication and honor of the group. PLEASE do not let young children who are barly hanging on fall. It was the sioux who saved me, it will save many others as well.

Thankyou for taking the time to read this. I will always live as an example of what is possible for someone who havs just one person or thing to hang on to.

That should do a real good job of getting them in a bitchy mood before the meeting. Nothing like having your E Mail over run for a few days.

Screw'em. they should have thought that through before they started messing with the good folks of North Dakota...fight the good fight! Go Sioux!

Dear NCAA President Mark Emmert and Executive Vice President Bernard Franklin.

I grow up in Grand Forks North Dakota for seven years before moving to Wyoming when I was 10. I grow up being picked on for having hearing problems and learning disabilitys; however, I always gained confidence when I heard about the sioux. You see it is not the sports teams that entrest me . It is the honor and corage that has helped me through the past 12 years. I just graduated from hogh school this past year. Although many said I would never make it to college. Here I am. I told myself growing up that I could never give up on my self or the leaders of the fighting sioux. Now that I am finally reaching for the stars I fined that the whole reason for trying is starting to fall. I love sports more than anyone, but I would do anything to be able to attend North Dakota the place that gave me the spirit to succed and still see the sioux living stronger then ever.

I hear all the time that the name affends others ;however, I also hear five time as many people who can relate to my story. You see the college may be known for hockey, but it is even more known for the communication and honor of the group. PLEASE do not let young children who are barly hanging on fall. It was the sioux who saved me, it will save many others as well.

Thankyou for taking the time to read this. I will always live as an example of what is possible for someone who havs just one person or thing to hang on to.

Well-written letter telling a heart-felt story - congrats on the progress you have made!

One would think that the NCAA has better things to do then worry about a logo and nickname. Ohio State should keep them busy for a while, with all the problems with other schools. I would think this is the last thing they should care about.

Go Sioux

State Sen. Bob Stenehjem (RIP) is replaced by State Sen. David Hogue, R-Minot, a UND Law School graduate, in Indianapolis, Indiana, tomorrow.

Also:

(State Rep. Al) Carlson, who is in Texas this week for other meetings, will fly to Indianapolis from San Antonio on Friday.

State Sen. Bob Stenehjem (RIP) is replaced by State Sen. David Hogue, R-Minot, a UND Law School graduate, in Indianapolis, Indiana, tomorrow.

Also:

Get to Indy and meet your team at noon and expect to be back in ND by 9 pm? Uh, OK, ...

http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/212448/

It's nice Clueless Al is so "enthusiastic". As they say in the south, "Bless his heart". ;)