SiouxSports.com Forum

Coaches

GeauxSioux

Gameli Ahelegbe added to Sioux coaching staff

University of North Dakota Director of Athletics Brian Faison and head men's basketball coach Brian Jones announced today the hiring of assistant coach Gameli Ahelegbe (pronounced GA-mel-lee AHH-ha-leg-bee).

Ahelegbe will begin his duties at UND on May 31.

Any Sioux hoops gurus know much about Ahelegbe?

Gameli Ahelegbe added to Sioux coaching staff

Any Sioux hoops gurus know much about Ahelegbe?

Use to work for Rich Glas...

http://www.cord.edu/Athletics/men/basketball/current/coaches/assistants.php

and I'm certain he is related to the UNI point Guard the played for Jake the last 4 years and recruited by McDermott and Jake.....

http://www.unipanthers.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/ahelegbe_kwadzo00.html

Use to work for Rich Glas...

http://www.cord.edu/Athletics/men/basketball/current/coaches/assistants.php

and I'm certain he is related to the UNI point Guard the played for Jake the last 4 years and recruited by McDermott and Jake.....

http://www.unipanthers.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/ahelegbe_kwadzo00.html

I have posted before that UND needs a recruiting presence in the Twin Cities because there is a vast untapped number of both men and women BB players here. I think this is a great move and I think that Jones is finally trying to tap the MSP area as a source of D1 talent. In my opinion this is a great move.

Hopefully he can find us a big man. Of course we dont have any scholarships available for a big man for several years to come.

From what I understand, the staff is recruiting for 2012-13, and at least one offer has been made already. So I think we can safely assume that scholarships will be made available following the 2011-12 season, even though on paper there are none available until 2013-14.

From what I understand, the staff is recruiting for 2012-13, and at least one offer has been made already. So I think we can safely assume that scholarships will be made available following the 2011-12 season, even though on paper there are none available until 2013-14.

As noted in 2012 Recruiting and Wiki, we have an offer out to a talented 6'7" kid from WI. We are also looking at a variety of other kids including four from the Cities - a 6'7" recruit from Cretin-Hall Derham is the latest to be added to the list. I don't think any of these kids that we know about are the underneith bangers that we need but I am sure we are trying to land a "big" or two.

We are also after a 7 foot junior-to-be kid from Prior Lake but he will likely go big-time.

• 3 months later...

I thought I would throw up a quick post in regards to Assistant Coach Phileppe heading to be an assistant coach at U. of Maine as broken earlier in the week on his twitter accounts @CoachPhileppe and @SiouxBasketball .

Losing both Moody and Phileppe is a low blow for our program. You obviously cant fault a guy for trying to move up in the coaching world, as I can only assume they are either paying him more and/or he is going to be the top assistant at Maine.

He was very fan friendly and from all accounts that I can tell from both fan observation and interacting with him through social media that this guy will be a good Head basketball Coach some day, especially for a school of our size. He seems like a great recruiter and his ties to Canada make him invaluable to any schools up north (i.e. UND, Maine, etc.). It seems like both him and Moody really worked well and got through to the younger players. which is key. I guess with losing a couple of quality assistants like this we will see soon how good Jones really is and how the players respond to him specifically.

I wish them both the best and i will really miss having Coach Philippe around in particular bc he was always so willing to share recruiting info with me and interact with us fans.

I hope that some day when/if Jones goes for any reason and UND is looking for a new HC that both Moody and Philippe would get interviews when that time comes.

GO SIOUX!

I thought I would throw up a quick post in regards to Assistant Coach Phileppe heading to be an assistant coach at U. of Maine as broken earlier in the week on his twitter accounts @CoachPhileppe and @SiouxBasketball .

Losing both Moody and Phileppe is a low blow for our program. You obviously cant fault a guy for trying to move up in the coaching world, as I can only assume they are either paying him more and/or he is going to be the top assistant at Maine.

He was very fan friendly and from all accounts that I can tell from both fan observation and interacting with him through social media that this guy will be a good Head basketball Coach some day, especially for a school of our size. He seems like a great recruiter and his ties to Canada make him invaluable to any schools up north (i.e. UND, Maine, etc.). It seems like both him and Moody really worked well and got through to the younger players. which is key. I guess with losing a couple of quality assistants like this we will see soon how good Jones really is and how the players respond to him specifically.

I wish them both the best and i will really miss having Coach Philippe around in particular bc he was always so willing to share recruiting info with me and interact with us fans.

I hope that some day when/if Jones goes for any reason and UND is looking for a new HC that both Moody and Philippe would get interviews when that time comes.

GO SIOUX!

Guess this season (both the games and recruiting) will show what kind of coach Jones, in the quest to build a program.

• 1 month later...