SiouxSports.com Forum

POLL: Should UND-NDSU Resume the Football Series?

ShilohSioux

220 members have voted

1. 1. Should UND and NDSU Resume the Football Series?

• Yes, play the game annually
    • On occassion, but not annually
    • No, we've gone our separate ways so let's focus on building new rivalries

We play them in the future? I said after transition. I am dissappointed about the SD Mines game. Try reading the whole post.

That still doesn't explain the Mines cupcake game. Let's try and avoid this junk about who plays a better OCC schedule.

Season ticket holders may get a break and only pay $10 or $15 extra, but they wouldn't get them at the same price. The same thing happens all over the place. Your season ticket price varies depending on the number of home games that year and any premium games. Just because NDSU hasn't done it before doesn't mean that it can't or won't happen.

This. Many if not most schools will do this for their season ticket packages. I can't believe NDSU doesn't do something to this effect already. Not just for conference games that are premium but for the non-conference premium games they have coming up such as Montana, Montana State...

Because he didn't want to play 4 home games in 2007.

NDSU had 5 home games in 2007. I guess that explains why they played at SHSU..they hosted them in 07. I knew GT wouldn't pick a road OOC game besides the money game since going playoff eligible. If they don't go on the road this season (which GT won't) NDSU's next OOC FCS game on the road at Montana 2015 because its a home and home.

Season ticket holders may get a break and only pay $10 or $15 extra, but they wouldn't get them at the same price. The same thing happens all over the place. Your season ticket price varies depending on the number of home games that year and any premium games. Just because NDSU hasn't done it before doesn't mean that it can't or won't happen.

Fine, but now you are saying play the game based on a benefit that is predicated on NDSU changing a policy toward season ticket holders.

Darrell, don't be childish, neither team is afraid of the other. It is a business transaction that requires the emotionless decision making that all business decision do. If it doesn't benefit us and directly benefits a main competitor in your target market you don't do it. It's simple.

Fine, but now you are saying play the game based on a benefit that is predicated on NDSU changing a policy toward season ticket holders.

Darrell, don't be childish, neither team is afraid of the other. It is a business transaction that requires the emotionless decision making that all business decision do. If it doesn't benefit us and directly benefits a main competitor in your target market you don't do it. It's simple.

And a UND-NDSU game is not good for business but a Wagner-NDSU game is better, or a NDSU-St. Francis. Got it.

This. Many if not most schools will do this for their season ticket packages. I can't believe NDSU doesn't do something to this effect already. Not just for conference games that are premium but for the non-conference premium games they have coming up such as Montana, Montana State...

Also, if NDSU were to do this it isn't exclusive to playing UND. They would be able to charge the same premium for bringing in Montana, Montana St. App St, Georgia Southern, Sam Houston.

We need to find a benefit that is exclusive to playing UND for the argument to be valid.

Also, if NDSU were to do this it isn't exclusive to playing UND. They would be able to charge the same premium for bringing in Montana, Montana St. App St, Georgia Southern, Sam Houston.

We need to find a benefit that is exclusive to playing UND for the argument to be valid.

They won't come to Fargo...UND will.

And a UND-NDSU game is not good for business but a Wagner-NDSU game is better, or a NDSU-St. Francis. Got it.

No, giving yourself the best opportunity to make the playoffs without directly helping a recruiting competitor is a good business decision.

UND will be scheduling the exact same way in the coming years, so don't get too high up on that horse.

No, giving yourself the best opportunity to make the playoffs without directly helping a recruiting competitor is a good business decision.

UND will be scheduling the exact same way in the coming years, so don't get too high up on that horse.

So NDSU shouldn't schedule UND because UND may beat them in front of potential recruits. WOW. Never saw that coming.

Wouldn't beating UND yearly be the best recruiting tool you have?

It's worked well for the Griz most of the last 20 years.

Re-read my post, I said I'm surprised that NDSU wouldn't do that for their upcoming games against Montana, Montana St. et. Basically NDSU is running out of excuses to "play their little brother" as bville posters like to say. Why is that, perhaps it's because they are afraid of losing, as they did in VB and BB this year, and proving that their athletic department really isn't that much further ahead/better than UND then they would like to think it is? NDSU fans used to like to say any team any time....They should change it to any team any time as long as it's not UND...We are afraid of losing to them. :D

So NDSU shouldn't schedule UND because UND may beat them in front of potential recruits. WOW. Never saw that coming.

So if I assume that we will win the game I am a typical arrogant Bison fan, if I acknowledge that in a rivalry game the outcome is always a toss up I am met with that response.

I see.

Re-read my post, I said I'm surprised that NDSU wouldn't do that for their upcoming games against Montana, Montana St. et. Basically NDSU is running out of excuses to "play their little brother" as bville posters like to say. Why is that, perhaps it's because they are afraid of losing, as they did in VB and BB this year, and proving that their athletic department really isn't that much further ahead/better than UND then they would like to think it is? NDSU fans used to like to say any team any time....They should change it to any team any time as long as it's not UND...We are afraid of losing to them. :D

It's an emotional game, the better team doesn't always win. Any sports fan realizes this.

If we use this little discussion we're having about the game as a microcosm for the two teams, isn't it pretty clear which side "needs" this game more?

How many of those games would happen on a regular basis? UND-NDSU would be every other year or every 4 years. And then you have to base the ticket premium based on projected interest. UND has at least 3 ticket prices for different hockey games. Minnesota is one price, Denver and Wisconsin and maybe someone else is a second price, and then you have the base price for all other games. It's a business decision and it isn't that hard to figure out, especially for only 6 games. After all, why should someone expect to pay the same price for Wagner or Drake as they would for a premium team? I could see 1 or 2 games at a premium price(s) and the rest at basic prices.

How many of those games would happen on a regular basis? UND-NDSU would be every other year or every 4 years. And then you have to base the ticket premium based on projected interest. UND has at least 3 ticket prices for different hockey games. Minnesota is one price, Denver and Wisconsin and maybe someone else is a second price, and then you have the base price for all other games. It's a business decision and it isn't that hard to figure out, especially for only 6 games. After all, why should someone expect to pay the same price for Wagner or Drake as they would for a premium team? I could see 1 or 2 games at a premium price(s) and the rest at basic prices.

Seems to me you should apply for the AD position at NDSU with that sort of insight.

Seems to me you should apply for the AD position at NDSU with that sort of insight.

It's not rocket science. A lot of other schools do something similar. But if that is so far above what the NDSU athletic department can handle, maybe I should apply whenever Taylor leaves.

It's an emotional game, the better team doesn't always win. Any sports fan realizes this.

If we use this little discussion we're having about the game as a microcosm for the two teams, isn't it pretty clear which side "needs" this game more?

Thats also something I've never understood as far as who needs it more. Both schools would benefit from the game being played, maybe UND wants it more because we aren't afraid of playing on the field, to prove who's the better team, and possibly losing. Whereas NDSU, again, is afraid of not only losing, but losing the perception that they are the more dominant team in the Dakotas. So if that's what you mean by "needing" it more, than yes...maybe we do "need" it more. One look at biville and the numerous threads and thousands of posts about this game shows that there would be interest in a game if it were played.

A Wagner or St. Francis is better. Don't have to make a return trip.

It is a possibility. There have been plenty of times in the rivalry when the better team lost. I wouldn't use that as a reason for not scheduling them. I'd use the "you stopped the rivalry. not us." excuse.

UND could use the game a lot more. Lack of buzz surrounding the program north of Fargo. I think right now, NDSU holds all the cards. At least until UND shows that they are at NDSU's level, I see no reason that the team up in Grand Forks thinks they hold a single one.

• Upvote 1

Thats also something I've never understood as far as who needs it more. Both schools would benefit from the game being played, maybe UND wants it more because we aren't afraid of playing on the field, to prove who's the better team, and possibly losing. Whereas NDSU, again, is afraid of not only losing, but losing the perception that they are the more dominant team in the Dakotas. So if that's what you mean by "needing" it more, than yes...maybe we do "need" it more. One look at biville and the numerous threads and thousands of posts about this game shows that there would be interest in a game if it were played.

Im with you that there would be a boatload of interest in Fargo. Delaware doesn't schedule Delaware State if I remember correctly. Is it because they are afraid of losing? Probably not. Is it probably because of some politics? More than likely.

Of course there is interest, if this game were to be scheduled I would be first in line to get tickets.

Once you have a few season in FCS where you are playoff eligible, UND fans will see why scheduling is done this way. Heck we learned it from Montana.

When you have a tough conference, like MVFC or the Big Sky. Chances are you aren't going to get the autobid every year. Because of that, you want nonconference games that are DI counters and are more easily won games.

So, you have 8 conference games, a "warm-up game", a money game, and another game that NDSU fans have shown interest in being a high quality OOC opponent. Does UND fit that bill? Yes. But if we agree to play the game every year, we take away the flexibility to bring in a high quality FCS team every so often.

Be realistic guys, that is the blueprint for success and we are following it. You'll be doing the exact same thing within 2 years. Watch and see.