SiouxSports.com Forum

Big Sky Tournament

Cratter

A conference tournament in Vegas would do well, I believe. It would be a nice excuse for a trip to Vegas in the winter for Nodaks. ;)

But I thought that a "big advantage" of the Big Sky was the #1 seed got to host the tournament? I've been suggesting Vegas for a year. It would be interesting to see which tournament would have higher attendence the Summit in Sioux Falls or the Big Sky in Vegas?

But I thought that a "big advantage" of the Big Sky was the #1 seed got to host the tournament? I've been suggesting Vegas for a year. It would be interesting to see which tournament would have higher attendence the Summit in Sioux Falls or the Big Sky in Vegas?

My guess would be the Summit in Sioux Falls, especially if USD, SDSU, and NDSU are participating....................

Big Sky is so vast, I think it is wise to keep it the way it is...................if not, I still think SLC would be better than Vegas considering Weber's fan following and attendance numbers.

My guess would be the Summit in Sioux Falls, especially if USD, SDSU, and NDSU are participating....................

Big Sky is so vast, I think it is wise to keep it the way it is...................if not, I still think SLC would be better than Vegas considering Weber's fan following and attendance numbers.

Allegiant having discount fares from 6 of the Big Sky cities to Vegas, would be a definite advantage over SLC. And, hey, it's an excuse to go to Vegas.

• 4 weeks later...

I know this is all old news, but out of boredom I was perusing Egriz and the Weber St. Board and was surprised to find that there seems to be just as many posters in favor of dropping the conference tournament all together as there are in favor of moving it to a neutral site...................

The Ivy League doesn't have a tournament, and simply awards their autobid to the regular season champ.

Does anyone think this idea has any merit? I wouldn't necessarily like having no tournament, as I'm a fan of March Madness, which IMO starts when the conference tourney's start. But honestly, if the goal is to save money, it probably isn't a bad idea. It would ensure that the best team always makes the tournament. And since the Big Sky is a one bid league anyways, it's always a good idea to get the strongest team in the tourney.

Just food for thought.................

There's a novel concept - reward achievement. I've never been a fan of the conference tournaments. Sure, they're exciting for fans, keep mid-level teams interested until the end, and bring in TV money, but they greatly diminish the regular season, and the effort put forward by teams. I've occasionally asked myself -- why go this week since we all make the post-season tournament anyway? It's especially frustrating for one-bid conferences where the regular season champ loses out in the tournament then cannot generally fall back on an at-large bid. If we play a true round-robin schedule, I'm all for it.

A conference tournament in Vegas would do well, I believe. It would be a nice excuse for a trip to Vegas in the winter for Nodaks. ;)

Vegas gets my vote. As another poster mentioned you can plan ahead with your vacation and if your team losses early then what better place is there to spend 3 -4 days waiting to come home. SIOUX in Vegas, love it.

The more I think about, the more I don't know what I'd like the best....................... :huh:

One of the things that I thought was cool about the Big Sky is that the regular season champ hosts. I think It'd be pretty cool to have the Big Sky tourney in Grand Forks..............

On the other hand, the Big Sky is so vast, I'm not sure how well attendend a neutral site tournament would be, regardless of where it is at. So maybe they should just forget the wholed thing.......

On the third hand, the GWC tournament was fun to follow for us Sioux fans this year. Without it, we wouldn't have gotten to go to the CIT, as we finished just 3rd in the league during the regular season.

Aw, I suppose I won't worry about it too much either way...................I doubt the Big Sky will ask my opinion anyways...............................

• 5 months later...

Hello All,

Welcome to the Big Sky.

I haven't heard if the Big Sky format will change. I hope it remains the same. Making it hard to get in makes it more interesting. 6 of 9 get in now which I like more than when we had 6 of 8 getting in.

Do you guys liek 6-11 or think a change is in order?

A neutral site doesn't work in the Big Sky as we don't have large fan bases that would travel. Vegas is the obvious site to choose. Everyone likes Vegas, not expensive to get there and its not cold. Salt Lake doesnt work. If your gonna go to SLC you might as well just have it at Weber State 40 miles away. Our arena capacity is 12,000 and has hosted the NCAA tournament 2-3 times but not since 1994.

In the Big Sky playing the tourney at the regular season champ's house still is the most feasilble option. Big Sky usually is 18-24th in confernece rank so we would like to send our best team. letting them host the tourney increases that chance and is about all the Big Sky can do to help the champion make it.

The hosting team usually can manage to get a 12-14 seed, if we have another team get in its even lower seed. Though there is no guarantees with seeding and we have seen regular season champs get in as a 15 or 16.

Another issue is venue size of hosting school. The Big Sky requires I believe 4-5,000 but maybe its 3,000 since UNC hosted last yr on their home court and their place holds 3,000. So this must mean only PSU and Sac can't host at home.

One change the Sky made I really like is the quarterfinal/first rd being held at campus sites and not at the hosting schools. This gives the higher seeds soemthing to look forward to as well attendance is never any good when the quarters are at the hosting school. This change took place in 2003 I believe.

6 @ 3

5 @ 4

1 and 2 sit out

then low vs 1

and high vs 2

semis are on altitude which i dont think is available in north dakota, hopefully that can change.

championship on espn2

Hello All,

Welcome to the Big Sky.

I haven't heard if the Big Sky format will change. I hope it remains the same. Making it hard to get in makes it more interesting. 6 of 9 get in now which I like more than when we had 6 of 8 getting in.

Do you guys liek 6-11 or think a change is in order?

A neutral site doesn't work in the Big Sky as we don't have large fan bases that would travel. Vegas is the obvious site to choose. Everyone likes Vegas, not expensive to get there and its not cold. Salt Lake doesnt work. If your gonna go to SLC you might as well just have it at Weber State 40 miles away. Our arena capacity is 12,000 and has hosted the NCAA tournament 2-3 times but not since 1994.

In the Big Sky playing the tourney at the regular season champ's house still is the most feasilble option. Big Sky usually is 18-24th in confernece rank so we would like to send our best team. letting them host the tourney increases that chance and is about all the Big Sky can do to help the champion make it.

The hosting team usually can manage to get a 12-14 seed, if we have another team get in its even lower seed. Though there is no guarantees with seeding and we have seen regular season champs get in as a 15 or 16.

Another issue is venue size of hosting school. The Big Sky requires I believe 4-5,000 but maybe its 3,000 since UNC hosted last yr on their home court and their place holds 3,000. So this must mean only PSU and Sac can't host at home.

One change the Sky made I really like is the quarterfinal/first rd being held at campus sites and not at the hosting schools. This gives the higher seeds soemthing to look forward to as well attendance is never any good when the quarters are at the hosting school. This change took place in 2003 I believe.

6 @ 3

5 @ 4

1 and 2 sit out

then low vs 1

and high vs 2

semis are on altitude which i dont think is available in north dakota, hopefully that can change.

championship on espn2

If UND hosts it, it would be at either the Alerus Center or Ralph Engelstad Arena (both can hold around 10,000).