SiouxSports.com Forum

Sidney Crosby feature

sioux fan in phoenix

Just wondering, how many here were able to catch a glimpse of Crosby on ESPN2's NHL-2-Nite following the Rangers-Avalanche game on Thursday? Melrose, Pang & Buccigross (sp) showed some clips of him against Russia & talked about him for 5 minutes. It was amazing watching that 16 y/o dance around defenders with quick bursts, his excellent passing skills & overall presence against a very talented team. I guess I was impressed most with his 1-on-1 ability & his knack for escaping from a check & starting a rush.

He wound up scoring a goal in a losing effort (3-2) but was impressive nonetheless. I couldn't help but think of him in a Sioux uniform & the titles he would no doubt bring.

Unless you are talking about one WCHA and one title, you should say title.  Because he sure wouldn't have been here for more than a year, therefore it would only be possible to get one title.  :glare:

Excuse me for the oversight, I was in shock after watching him play :D

Gretzky said, when interviewed, that if anyone assumes His Greatness it would most likely be Crosby. He also said that Crosby was the closest thing to Mario Lemieux that he's ever seen. If Parise's a simple, minor hockey god, this kid is the Almighty Father...

Sorry guys. I don't buy it.

Size is size.

I am sure he will be a great player. But, he has to develop in a lot of ways before he reaches the level that everyone is hyping him up to be.

For example, Vanek is was supposed to be walking through teams and lighting everyone up this year. Look what the Sioux did to him.

We could do the with Mr. Crosby, no problem.

As much as I love college hockey and the Sioux, The Q is in most ways superior to NCAA hockey in preparing a player for the NHL. Crosby will be the number one player taken in the 2005 draft. He will more than likely transition directly to the NHL as an 18 year old. Players of that level (usually Canadians) usually don't even think about a route other than major junior. Crosby made the decision as a 16 year old to not play college hockey, because for a player of his caliber the CHL is the shortest distance between two points..

I have never seen a QMJL game, but I have read that it isn't very physical. This would be perfect for smaller skilled players. Would be very interesting to see some cross over games between NCAA and the QMJL. Personally, I think a top ranked NCAA team would run over a QMJL team if they were officiated with NCAA referees.

Crosby would not be putting those numbers up in the WCHA. Just my opinion.

One thing to remember when comparing major junior to NCAA is that you can only play in the CHL (to anyone unfamiliar with major junior hockey the CHL is the collective of the three major junior canadian(mostly) leagues of the OHL, WHL and QMJHL) as a 16 to 20 year old, and teams are limited as to how many "veteran" 20 year olds they can carry. The overwhelming number of NCAA schools carry very few players under 20. There is a lot more finesse, but they also play NHL fighting rules.

I wish him well. It will only do the league good to get such a player, if he lives up to everyones' expectations.

I think a really good USHL team can compete with a QMJL team.

Years back, there were games between the USA U18 team and the Plymouth Whalers (which is OHL) where the U18 team has won. I don't think the U18 team is that good this year so I am not sure that would be a fair comparison now. However, I think it is somewhat indicative of the level of competition in the CHL.

I know it's off the topic...but can someone tell me a bit about Mapletoft? I've been seeing posts about him before, and he sounds dynomite. Coming to UND I assume. It'll be fun to see Crosby develop and continue until he's playing at Forsberg caliber. A shame, I agree that there at least aren't scrimmages. I know it's a risk, but it would be a great learning experience for both sides.

Redwing77 is the President of the Mapletoft fan club, if I'm not mistaken.

I had to smile thinking about the earlier Mapletoft posts when I was in Nashville last weekend and attended the Predators' game against the Islanders. Mapletoft actually scored a goal and I believe he also had an assist -- he played even though Jason Blake was back in the line-up. (And, of course, Greg Johnson was playing for Nashville).

Sorry to give a hint about who Mapletoft may be ....

Diggler...I think you low-balled it. I'd give it a 23.

RW is the foremost expert on Mapletoft....he can tell you all about him :D:glare:

*sigh* Ok, here is the deal with Mapletoft. Jason Blake got injured and it was posted that Mapletoft was brought up to replace Blake in the lineup. The way the context was written, I thought Mapletoft may have been a former Sioux if not formerly WCHA player. I then asked who he was and everyone started making fun of me for not knowing who he was. That's how the joke got started. Now it's being beaten to death

And FYI, folks, No one under the age of 18 can legally play in the NHL. There was contraversy with that in the past even in the WHL, because, reportedly, Gretazky was only 17 when he started playing professionally.

Crosby may opt into the draft if he can at 16, but he will not leave his junior team until he's 18, I'm sure due to regulations.

I need to pay more attention I guess :glare: . Redwing...can I get the info, I guess I just want to know what the deal is with him. I did read your outrageous defenses of him versus Coach Ditka and even Mini-Ditka. Nice.

Back to Denver...

Dan Milewski has Denver winning 5-3 and UND 4-3 Sat, what does everyone think of that.

In my opinion he made to big of a deal about the powerplay. Right, the special teams need work, but I'm sure they'll come around. I enjoy how badly we're outscoring teams at even strength AND...

HOW MANY PENALTIES HAS MATT GREENE BEEN CALLED FOR?

I think it is outstanding that he is able to curb his hits to the clean/ruthless side.

Bottom line, I would much rather excel at evenstrength than have to rely on powerplay. Think of the Mighty Ducks of a few years ago...Best powerplay in the NHL, tried to feed Kariya sneaking downlow for the onetimer, but still got swept by the wings.

• 2 weeks later...

Crosby made the Canadian WJC Selection Camp roster. Link. He is the youngest player by far at 16 yrs old. I can't wait to see him next year at The Ralph.

Jeff Tambellini from Michigan is the only college player on the roster.