SiouxSports.com Forum

Hakstol vs. The Field

Scotty

Since Dave Hakstol has been nominated yet again for the Spencer Penrose Award, I wanted to put some of his accomplishments into perspective. Despite the frequent bashing he receives from some fans (mostly unfounded), Hakstol has been one of the best coaches in Division I since he took over at UND in 2004. Here is what he's done up through this season with rank among D1 coaches in parentheses:

Wins

The obvious thing that was ignored is the most important stat: national championships. Lets hope that all changes in 10 days

Obviously national championships trump all, but you missed the point of the post. Considering only five coaches have won national championships during Hakstol's tenure, I could rank him sixth along with the other 52 head coaches.

Obviously national championships trump all, but you missed the point of the post. Considering only five coaches have won national championships during Hakstol's tenure, I could rank him sixth along with the other 52 head coaches.

I understand the point of the post; I was just presenting a counter-argument. For the record, I agree with you; I would take Hak over any coach in the nation.

I understand the point of the post; I was just presenting a counter-argument. For the record, I agree with you; I would take Hak over any coach in the nation.

Fair enough. I didn't feel the need to list the fact that he has zero national championships as I assume anyone knows that. I think that WILL change next weekend.

Blais would be the only other coach but what would that really change? Personally I may not like Hak but I do respect his coaching abilities. Who is/was a better coach Hak or Gino? I will go with Hak anyday since Gino's success was more of having great assistants than his own ability. When Blais left the first time the program went down hill after that until he came back.

Blais would be the only other coach but what would that really change? Personally I may not like Hak but I do respect his coaching abilities. Who is/was a better coach Hak or Gino? I will go with Hak anyday since Gino's success was more of having great assistants than his own ability. When Blais left the first time the program went down hill after that until he came back.

Any reason why you don't like him? I hear that from fans quite often, but don't ever really get an explanation. I'm just wondering what people don't like about him. Is he not personable enough, or what?

Since Dave Hakstol has been nominated yet again for the Spencer Penrose Award, I wanted to put some of his accomplishments into perspective. Despite the frequent bashing he receives from some fans (mostly unfounded), Hakstol has been one of the best coaches in Division I since he took over at UND in 2004. Here is what he's done up through this season with rank among D1 coaches in parentheses:

Wins

Buy this logic, the Minnesota Vikings are one of the best NFL teams of all times - appeared in 4 Super Bowls, numerous playoff appearances, high winning percentage.

Not trying to bash Hak, but you have to win one to be great

Before you start crowning Minnesota a great NFL team, go compare actual statistics to a lot of other NFL teams.

Before you start crowning Minnesota a great NFL team, go compare actual statistics to a lot of other NFL teams.

Since the end of World War II, Minnesota has the third best Winning Percentage in the Regular Season, and the 5th best overall. ESPN had their "Greatest NFL Franchises of All-Time" list a few years back, and Minnesota was in the top 10 (I THINK they were #7).

Buy this logic, the Minnesota Vikings are one of the best NFL teams of all times - appeared in 4 Super Bowls, numerous playoff appearances, high winning percentage.

Not trying to bash Hak, but you have to win one to be great

Really? Is it so impossible to actually stay on topic in a thread?

Did I say "Hakstol is the greatest coach of all time?" Nope, sure didn't. The question is whether there's any coach you'd rather have at this point given Hakstol's success thus far with the program. The numbers I pointed out show that Hakstol has had great success regardless of whether he's won a national championship. He's obviously a great coach (the "if you don't win a championship you can't be considered great argument" is bogus), so would you replace him?

And by your logic Trent Dilfer is a better quarterback than Dan Marino.

Haha this topic went off course quick. Great points Scotty, agree with COMPLETELY. In this Microwave culture, as Rick Pitino puts it, we expect to win now and don't want to do whats necessary to get there. Hak year and year, early signings and all, puts out a competitive team that Sioux fans should be proud of.

Yes no NC to date. To be considered on of the great at UND you need to win 1. Hak will get there, in a one and done situation and having to win 4 straight its a lot tougher than Blais had it when you got a bye in the tourney.

^You really have to know Gino to fully appreciate him. He isn't for everyone.

I've known him since the 70s and he's always been very nice to me.

I was actually wondering why lomackman didn't like Hasktol, not Gino. I always hear fans say that they don't like him, but they don't really offer any valid reasons. That's fine if you don't like the guy, but it would be nice to hear why that is.

Perhaps the unwarranted bashing will subside once Hak and the Sioux bag #8 next weekend.

There is only one knock on Hakstol...and that is the lack of a national championship. That's it. Period.

I think, for some, it's hard to see some of the team's Hakstol has fielded not win a title. I am not one of them. It's hard enough to even get to the Frozen Four, even with a stacked team. To win it is a whole 'nother challenge. The coach can only do so much. He can't change bad bounces and he can't go and play goalie if the team's goaltender flopped in the Frozen Four. He can't go score a game-winning goal, and can't deliver a momentum shifting check.

This speaks for itself:

5 Frozen Fours in 7 seasons

2 MacNaughton Cups

3 Broadmoor Trophy's

A team that gave you confidence to win it all come playoff time, every single season

Has produced top-notch talent...who have been greatly successful both on and off the ice....he turns boys into men basically

He doesn't take no for an answer

He epitomizes the character and love of the Sioux tradition, and backs it up strongly.

The team has seen growth in the fanbase and he has built excitement in a program where some thought it has reached its peak. The stands are always full, and look what has happened when the team plays in places like St Paul for the Final Five...it's jam-packed with Sioux fans. Some of this may seem unrelated to the head coach, but in reality, much if it is on his shoulders, whether it's good or bad. For us, we've seen some of the greatest times in Sioux hockey history...now it's time to win a national championship.

I wouldn't trade Hakstol for anyone.

• Upvote 3

O

There is only one knock on Hakstol...and that is the lack of a national championship. That's it. Period.

I think, for some, it's hard to see some of the team's Hakstol has fielded not win a title. I am not one of them. It's hard enough to even get to the Frozen Four, even with a stacked team. To win it is a whole 'nother challenge. The coach can only do so much. He can't change bad bounces and he can't go and play goalie if the team's goaltender flopped in the Frozen Four. He can't go score a game-winning goal, and can't deliver a momentum shifting check.

This speaks for itself:

5 Frozen Fours in 7 seasons

2 MacNaughton Cups

3 Broadmoor Trophy's

A team that gave you confidence to win it all come playoff time, every single season

Has produced top-notch talent...who have been greatly successful both on and off the ice....he turns boys into men basically

He doesn't take no for an answer

He epitomizes the character and love of the Sioux tradition, and backs it up strongly.

The team has seen growth in the fanbase and he has built excitement in a program where some thought it has reached its peak. The stands are always full, and look what has happened when the team plays in places like St Paul for the Final Five...it's jam-packed with Sioux fans. Some of this may seem unrelated to the head coach, but in reality, much if it is on his shoulders, whether it's good or bad. For us, we've seen some of the greatest times in Sioux hockey history...now it's time to win a national championship.

I wouldn't trade Hakstol for anyone.

Excellent post. Totally agree.

I was actually wondering why lomackman didn't like Hasktol, not Gino. I always hear fans say that they don't like him, but they don't really offer any valid reasons. That's fine if you don't like the guy, but it would be nice to hear why that is.

Perhaps the unwarranted bashing will subside once Hak and the Sioux bag #8 next weekend.

Goes back twenty years when I first meet him and he was a jerk when he was in school here. He is one of those people who pretends not to know who people are even though he does. He is just not a nice person. Arrogant beyond arrogance is his mark and trade.

• Downvote 3

Good points. You touched on a few intangible qualities that I think make Hak a great coach. The above comment stands out in particular, because it reminds me of something he said in a press conference a few years ago regarding the Sioux name, "...quite simply put, before we go out and play, we say 'Let's go play Sioux hockey.'"

A few people on here have said they wouldn't trade Hakstol for anyone. I get the feeling that the reverse is also true -- he wouldn't take any other job over this one. That's another reason I think he's a perfect fit for the program, and I'm happy to have him as our head coach.

As a fan, I've had the opportunity to talk with Hak a few times. We also shared a shot of tequila after an important win. That doesn't make him a great guy but taking the time to talk hockey with a fan who is not a Diamond contributor makes him ok in my book; aside from all he's done for the program.

"Gino's sucess was more of having great assistants than his own ability." How many successful persons do you know that don't surround themselves with great assistants? Geeze..... :glare:

Goes back twenty years when I first meet him and he was a jerk when he was in school here. He is one of those people who pretends not to know who people are even though he does. He is just not a nice person. Arrogant beyond arrogance is his mark and trade.

Based on the majority of your posts on this forum, I have to wonder if it's just you he didn't like. I know a lot of people and there are many that I will look straight through and not acknowledge because I don't like them for whatever reason. AND, even though I consider myself a friendly, likeable person, there are more than a few that would sooner run me down than go around me. That's life.

So your feelings are based around an incident in which he snubbed you at a college keg party 20 years ago? :huh: Doh-Kay

This is the best team he's had so far, so let's see it play out.

So your feelings are based around an incident in which he snubbed you at a college keg party 20 years ago? :huh: Doh-Kay

This is the best team he's had so far, so let's see it play out.

Was not at a keg party. He is just a self-centered nasty sob, but a good coach. He was arogant before he had earned the right to be one and I just do not like people like this.

• Downvote 3