SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Coaches Show

PCM

Disclaimer: This is a summary of the weekly Fighting Sioux Coaches how. It is NOT a verbatim transcript of the show. Comments by the show's hosts and the coaches are paraphrased to the best of the author's ability and are NOT direct quotes. This summary contains selected highlights from the show and is NOT a comprehensive account of all topics covered or discussed. This broadcast summary represents the interpretation of the author and is not associated in any manner with SiouxSports.com, the University of North Dakota or US College Hockey Online. This summary MAY NOT BE REPRODUCED without the written permission of the author.

Live from Lola's Authentic Northern Italian Restaurant in beautiful downtown Grand Forks. Tim Hennessy is the host with UND hockey coach Dean Blais. Scott Swygman is off doing a basketball broadcast.

The show opened with talk of the split with St. Cloud. Blais said when you look at SCSU

Edited by PCM

Thanks for the recap, Pat. It would be nice to have Fylling in Denver, as he would provide good speed and shooting, if the Money line gets mugged. Especially, as it looks like Denver may be thin on D this weekend.

BTW: Somebody should call in to Lola's and let Blais know that some of the finest armchair coaches are here working to get the PP going again. :glare::D

Too bad about Fylling, but the rest of the guys do not need to get sick! Hopefully some of the guys do step it up this weekend, (Lundbohm to name one), with Fylling sick and we all know how much DU likes to clutch and grab, UND needs production from where ever it can get it. This is going to be a tough series, Denver is a good team and are going to give the Sioux their best this weekend...

BTW: Somebody should call in to Lola's and let Blais know that some of the finest armchair coaches are here working to get the PP going again. :glare::D

You said it SM. I loved it when Andy was parked in front of the net during the power play. But hey I don't want to take all the credit... ;););):p:p

Reminded me of the days when Goren would do his best work there. :)

I'm thinking that when you have big, strong forwards like Hale, Massen and Stafford, why waste your best offensive-defenseman in front of the net? Schneider's one of the best players the Sioux have for putting shots on goal from the blue line. Plus, contrary to what he's listed at on the roster, he's not really that big.

That's my free coaching advice. It's worth what Blais paid for it. :D:glare:

I'm thinking that when you have big, strong forwards like Hale, Massen and Stafford, why waste your best offensive-defenseman in front of the net? Schneider's one of the best players the Sioux have for putting shots on goal from the blue line. Plus, contrary to what he's listed at on the roster, he's not really that big.

That's my free coaching advice. It's worth what Blais paid for it.  :p  :D

PCM,

I must respectfully disagree with you, I stood next to Andy one time and he's a monster. I mean he is solid and I wouldn't call him short either. I would be willing to bet pound for pound he is one of toughest Sioux d-man. But that just mho.. :glare:

Also, did you see the shot he put in net on Saturday, I thought it was one of the hardest shots since the day of Nick Namenko.

Didn't two or three UND guys get the "flu" right before or during their trip to CC last season. Is it an untimely coincidence or some sort of conspiracy on the part of the CO schools? Poll anybody? :glare::D

Yooooooohooooooo, Redwing, we need your help! Put down your Mapletoft research project for awhile & help us out on this flu conspiracy :p

Fylling's abscence will be tough. Now's not exactly a good time for him to be gettin' sick on us; we need his grittiness & speed in these road games. Get well soon, buddy!

Thanks, Pat, great job as always!!

The later point is the most significant point of the whole show. I think that bods well for UND because it means our chances of an NCAA title are even better. Meaning we probably don't lose Zach or Bochenski...

That will, however, be a lot of "senioritis" :glare:

I must respectfully disagree with you, I stood next to Andy one time and he's a monster. I mean he is solid and I wouldn't call him short either. I would be willing to bet pound for pound he is one of toughest Sioux d-man. But that just mho.. :glare:

I've stood next to Schneider, too, and looked him in the eye while speaking to him. I know that he's no taller than I am and perhaps a little shorter. I'm six feet tall. I'm not saying he's short, only that he's not really as big as most people think he is.

The issue for me is not whether Schneider could stand in front of the net of power plays and be good at it. I question whether that's the best use of his ability. Blais mentioned after Saturday's game that they've had touble getting shots on goal from the blue line and they really need that.

I would rather see Schneider using his great shot from the blue line while big forwards like Hale, Massen or Stafford created traffic in front of the net and put in some rebounds.

Fedorov, I know what you're saying. I guess the deal is with the Sioux: if you earn your ice time in practice, then you get to play. Maybe Blais felt like he practiced better than some other guys and earned the trip. Maybe he's not happy with some guys' play last weekend and wants to sit them. Skate or sit at UND.

I heard early this season that Palmo was at the top of the Iron Man competition. If he has been playing well in practice and his conditioning is top notch, he might be a good choice to play at high elevation.

Maybe so, but I think Canady has done well for himself as of late, so I would put the edge on him making the start at least on Friday. I am not sure if they bring extra players along with. If they do, Palmo will definitely be going and probably Fabian as well.

I've stood next to Schneider, too, and looked him in the eye while speaking to him. I know that he's no taller than I am and perhaps a little shorter. I'm six feet tall. I'm not saying he's short, only that he's not really as big as most people think he is.

I hope he wasn't wearing his skates when you were standing next to him; if he was in skates, that would put him at around 5'8"-5'9", which is Bina's size :glare:

I hope he wasn't wearing his skates when you were standing next to him; if he was in skates, that would put him at around 5'8"-5'9", which is Bina's size :glare:

I find it hard to believe that Schneider is as big as Bina. Especially when Schneider appeared taller than Bina when he skated by Bina during warm ups.

I find it hard to believe that Schneider is as big as Bina. Especially when Schneider appeared taller than Bina when he skated by Bina during warm ups.

Schneider is taller than Bina. That was a joke, son. :glare:

I see that on the Sioux roster, Schneider is listed at 6-0, 215. I'm sure that's pretty close to reality. I was thinking that at one time, they had him listed as 6-1 or 6-2. There's no way he's that tall.