SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ DU

sioux fan in phoenix

If anyone has any knowledge of DU's strengths/weaknesses, please feel free to share any & all info. I don't know much about them except that they're rather depleted at defense right now. How about UND's injured players? Are most of them healed & does anyone think Massen will make the trip? A Sioux sweep isn't out of the question but may be a little difficult with Berkhoel (sp) in net...Go Sioux!!

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well for one thing, get them back on their heels and they go down faster than a $20000 ring in a bathroom sink trap. If you can shake up the goal tenders, they let anything in. Even the Gophers beat them 6-2! So you gys should have a sweep ready.

WPoS

I know that the tickets that the UND Alumni Assoc. had for Saturday night are sold out; however, it's highly unlikely that the arena is sold out for either night. DU does not have very strong fan support - Denver is a pro sports town.

Last year, the Sioux fans were louder than the DU fans during the game. A few of my DU friends were a little surprised at the UND fan turnout. This is one road game for the Sioux that the opponent does not have the fan advantage. Hopefully we can give the same support as last year but with two wins instead of a loss and a tie.

I got tickets through Magness on Friday and through the alumni association for Saturday. I don't think we will have any problem being as loud if not louder than last year. I think a lot of the people going this year also went last year, including myself, and that goal with 2 seconds left is still in-grained in our mind! I'm really hoping for a couple of wins this weekend. It's more than likely my only chance to see the Sioux in conference play. :0 Let's rock that joint! :silly:

I would like to know if the game is going to on tv? Second it's great to be back online & please excuse me for my mistakes. Right now i'm recovering from a stroke & it's been kind of rough on me so please forgive me. Also I would like to know which station is broadcasting the games online? If anybody knows could they please be kind enough to let me know thank you. It's great to be back.

I would like to know if the game is going to on tv? Second it's great to be back online & please excuse me for my mistakes. Right now i'm recovering from a stroke & it's been kind of rough on me so please forgive me. Also I would like to know which station is broadcasting the games online? If anybody knows could they please be kind enough to let me know thank you. It's great to be back.

Not sure about TV...but I think you can listen to it on 96.1? or the webcast (I think Jim has provided a link).

Great to have you back. I hope you continue to feel better. Having a stroke can be rough.

I've been reading these for about two weeks, and I figured I'd chime in finally for this series. I know a bit about the game and love reading other people's insights on the team.

I was glad somebody (actually many bodies) were up in arms about that editorial in the Dakota Student. Granted it was this person's opinion about the student section, he was still incredibly naive. Bottom line: expect a little torment if you are an opponent in the heart of the home fans.

:glare: I laughed my a.. off when I read Beersong's remarks about his times at UMD. These people will never get a clue.

I actually did the same thing in St. Cloud last year. I wore my Sioux Crew shirt and sat in the middle of the student section with my SCSU friend who also wore one. Massen's goal on Saturday of that weekend saw the two of us standing amidst many horrible glares, but believe me I heard it when the Puppies did score. It was great!

For the DU series:

A couple things I'd like to note because of comparisons I have heard about this team to last years...

One - harder schedule

Granted they were at home the team has played

#2 Boston College (then #1)

(unranked...lol) Minnesota

#15 Minn-Duluth

#8 St. Cloud

Two - bigger, faster defense

The addition of Smaby helped (though he seems slow at times, he burys the fool that tries to get by him). Bina, I believe, should be used more often. He is fast (for a little guy) and his great hand/eye coordination makes him hard to get by. Plus, he blocked a few key shots Saturday that stood out in my eyes.

Three - breakout seasons for many players

I am very impressed by the play of Quinn Fylling, Colby Genoway and a few others. These are guys that have been in the system awhile (especially Quinn), and are making improvements at this level. For a team to be successful it needs help from all of its parts, now I know it's early, but this team is getting help from many pleasant surprises.

What I know about DU is this:

They come at you with speed. Last year's game 3 of the playoffs was one of the tightest, most exciting games I've seen. Of course UND prevailed on an Andy Schneider slapper from the point, but it came in overtime.

Adam Berkhoel is one of the nation's toughest goaltenders, and in true Mile-High City form the Pioneers seem to be manufacturing good goalies. (running backs for the Broncos...). It doesn't (yet) appear that Berkhoel is feeling the Kollar-effect from the loss of a strong #1, but only time will tell.

Other than that I don't think their team stacks up incredibly well to ours this year. Some names to watch out for though, Connor James, Kevin Ulanski, Gabe Gauthier, and Jeff Drummond. They have always been deep, but if we play consistenly we should come out alright.

For a last note, I'm running long for my second post ever...

The powerplay will come around, Blais has been around almost a decade and knows the remedy. I like the idea of a big guy up front to deflect/screen, but also what I've seen a lot of in the NHL is putting a scoring forward on the point for the quick shot and looking for the deflection. We've been pretty cutsey lately, I agree, but perhaps a Bochenski or even a Prpich would help because they both have great shots, and can rip them off quickly.

That's it I'm done for now...

I'm going to say 5-2 Friday, and maybe a 4-4 tie or 4-3 UND on Sat. I don't see Denver coming away with more than a point, but I could be wrong. We'll see how well their line cycling goes and how well the goaltending is. Both teams can score, and I don't expect another super defensive series like SCSU.

I'm going to say 5-2 Friday, and maybe a 4-4 tie or 4-3 UND on Sat. I don't see Denver coming away with more than a point, but I could be wrong. We'll see how well their line cycling goes and how well the goaltending is. Both teams can score, and I don't expect another super defensive series like SCSU.

Welcome aboard!

Let's hope you're right. 3/4 points in Denver isn't asking too much but they will have to bust their heinies & bring their A game. The high altitude shouldn't be that big a factor considering their excellent conditioning...

Any predictions for this game? Less than 2 days to go!

35 hours and counting! I'm just a little excited. :glare: Being the optimistic person that I am, I am going to say that "The money line" is going to open up a can of whoop a$$ on Friday and the Sioux are going to win 6-2. Once Berkhoal (sp?) lets a couple in and get's the Sioux fired up it'll be downhill from there. Oh and we'll get a PP goal. :D

Saturday will be closer, we win 3-2 with the last goal coming with 2 seconds left. :p

I'm sorry, but I dare not bet against a goaltender who has done very well against us.

I believe Siouxtupa in the fact that this team is fast. We have to play physical and not let them open it up against us. Brandt is a good goalie, but he's not the fastest goalie on the ice. Berkhoel is a talented goalie who will definitely keep the Pioneers in the game.

I say the game will go similar to Saturday vs SCSU. A few lucky bounces and a Sioux victory. But I would not be surprised if this series brings the first overtime to the Sioux season.

I do not anticipate a huge goal tally this weekend. UND 2-1, 3-2 (OT)

I'm sorry, but I dare not bet against a goaltender who has done very well against us.

Ahh, come on! What's the worst that can happen? You're wrong? :glare: Optimism is the key my friend! So they don't win 6-3, I still drink beer and enjoy the games! And don't forget, Brandt has done very well against them. If a very depleted CC team can beat them at home..... I've seen CC play this year, they are not that good. Good for what they have, yes, but still. I really believe if they Sioux continue to play with the potential we all know they have, it will be high-scoring and we will win both nights.

I had the same very optimistic outlook until last weekend against SCSU. That series brought back memories from last year, and brought me back to Earth. Outshooting opponents and winning the puck possession battle counts for nothing; only the scoreboard matters. In the four games preceding last weekend, the Sioux scored 30 goals. I loved it, as it brought back memories of the old days. Then 3 goals total last weekend. Ugh. I'm hopeful this weekend, but my enthusiasm has been tempered.

I had the same very optimistic outlook until last weekend against SCSU. That series brought back memories from last year, and brought me back to Earth. Outshooting opponents and winning the puck possession battle counts for nothing; only the scoreboard matters. In the four games preceding last weekend, the Sioux scored 30 goals. I loved it, as it brought back memories of the old days. Then 3 goals total last weekend. Ugh. I'm hopeful this weekend, but my enthusiasm has been tempered.

The last time UND was held to three goals in a series was by St. Cloud during February of 2000 and we all know how that season ended for UND - title #7!!!

I'm guessing a HUGE Sioux turnout for the Denver series. We have a group of 12 each night and we didn't get our tickets from the Alumni Association. Hopefully we can turn Magness into a home game for the Sioux. :glare:

Everybody forgets the Sioux went 0-3-1 in Colorado last year, 0-1-1 vs. DU and 0-2-0 vs CC. I want at least one Sioux victory this weekend, but I predict a sweep. The Sioux fans in Colorado need to see some wins this year. No CC series in CO, so this is our only chance.

Everybody forgets the Sioux went 0-3-1 in Colorado last year, 0-1-1 vs. DU and 0-2-0 vs CC. I want at least one Sioux victory this weekend, but I predict a sweep. The Sioux fans in Colorado need to see some wins this year. No CC series in CO, so this is our only chance.

Yeah, but those series were during the second 1/2 of the season last year when NOTHING was going their way. I have to admit though, last weekend, listening to the SCSU games, I too experienced a little de ja vu (sp?). Post! Wide open net and misses! I thought oh no, not again!! Let's hope it doesn't keep happening.

I hear ya on the wins. I haven't seen one since I've been here (4 years!) Now granted, they have won, against CC two years ago on Sat. night for sure. They also swept Denver at Denver that year (2000/2001 season). But for whatever reason I was not there. Can't remember why. Anywho,

Sioux, CO - are you going to both the games? I think it would be fun to get some people together before the game on Friday for a little pre-game spirits. Somewhere near campus. I know Cyberbum was thinking along the same lines. I'm still optimistic, I think they can do it!

I think you are going to see a pretty good road series from UND. Maybe a split, but that's not bad playing in Denver.

I like the fact that Blais is backing up his word on playing only those guys who are willing to give it their all in games and practice. That's the only way this team will excel. And, given the mediocre performance of some guys so far, why not give some freshmen a try? The time to set the final roster doesn't come until April.

I hear ya on the wins. I haven't seen one since I've been here (4 years!) Now granted, they have won, against CC two years ago on Sat. night for sure. They also swept Denver at Denver that year (2000/2001 season). But for whatever reason I was not there. Can't remember why.

Maybe you shouldn't go to the games. :glare: