SiouxSports.com Forum

Spring Practice

siouxfbfan

I was able to make it to the scrimmage and I made a few observations. First, the punt team is transitioning into the spread punt formation. There obviously is some familiarization needed with this new formation because the punt block team did block a punt and got close to a couple additional punts. RJ McGill and Kenny Watkins were catching the punts. Also, Chavon Mackey blocked a field goal and returned a fumble for a TD.

In regards to the quarterback situation (which I did pay the most attention to), QB Brent Goska and the rest of the first team took limited snaps. When the first team offense and defense were on the field, it was apparent that the defense was playing at the higher level. Devin Benjamin anchored the middle well and the new outside backers Johnnie Daniels and Dominique Bennett added an element of athleticism. When Goska was on the field, he really didn

I was also there and I would echo the previous poster's comments. I noticed Jay Nelson standing on the sideline. Anyone know what has happened to him? I only ask as you mentioned the punt team difficulties and I believe that he was the starting long snapper last year. Also, I was very impressed with Jake Miller's running. Kid looks to be taking a step during his first spring. Other things I noticed:

-We are definitely more athletic at the OLB spot than in the previuos years.

-There were 2 kickers taking reps at FGs today. One was Zeb Miller and the other kid wore a red #9. Not sure who that is but he did get one blocked by Mackey.

-The offense did seem to run the ball fairly effectively against the defense.

-Even though they could run the ball effectively they didn't seem able to finish off drives. There were numerous instances of Muss giving them another down because they dropped an exchange or the offense coming to the line and then going back into the huddle because of some procedural issue like not having enough players out there, somebody not motioning, etc.

-Coach Mussman looked extremely upset at times today with the offense. More upset than I have ever seen him in previous springs. Guess you can tell he's got the fire back now that he is coaching the O-Line again.

Sounds like both Kingery and Nichols have had good practices thus far through spring. It would really be nice to see someone emerge from the tight-end position and be a threat in the passing game.

I know it is like "two hand touch" in scrimmages, so the sack numbers are inflated, but if the QB is constantly under that much pressure, good things aren't gonna happen for any QB.

For those who saw the scrimmage, how far off the the line did the cornerbacks play???????

I was able to make it to the scrimmage and I made a few observations. ...

In terms of the WRs, Greg Hardin played in limited action along with the rest of the first team players; however, Tyhre Ivery and RJ McGill looked impressive in extensive action. Next fall, the receiving corps should be real athletic with Hardin, McGill, and Ivery on the field at the same time. Plus with the addition of Casey Young and Jameer Jackson, the receiving corps should be a real strength of this team in the next few seasons.

Reassuring to hear that Ivery and McGill are impressing at WR. Add Hardin -- and Blair Townsend in the fall -- and the team could have a very solid receiving group next fall. In both Nelson's article in the Herald the the scrimmage story on fightingsioux.com, Mussman sounded particularly encouraged by Bradley's progression at QB.

Thank you for the updates everyone.

One more week of practice before the spring game. Hopefully the progression continues at the QB spot. I really think having Muss go back to the OL will really help next season. He enjoys coaching that spot, he is very knowledgeable at that spot and we need to be good their next year.

One thing for next year that I think is going to be a real good thing for the defense is how well Ross Brennaman is playing. You could tell last year he was a year away and having a DE who needs to be double teamed when lining up in the "B gap" or will hurt teams is huge. We've been solid there for a few years but have really been lacking the playmaker there and its been clear by lack of pressure. If we can get a NG who can control a center and a DE who get attention from a Gaurd/Tackle and get the same consistent play from Bellmore I think we will be back to getting some pressure on the QB which will help the defense overall.

I see here that Chris Comes will not be participating in the spring game. Nor will a host of others including Dominque Bennett or Tyrhe Ivery................

Injuries or other?Bradley should get alot of snaps in the scrimmage.................

I noticed the same thing with the same questions. Seems curious that one of the top prospects for starting QB would not participate in one of the spring's few scrimmages unless there was an injury -- and I didn't hear anyone who was there mention any apparent problems this past Saturday. Hope it doesn't suggest something else. Maybe the Sioux Football Insider guys will have some insight? I was looking forward to seeing Ivery as well.

Pretty quiet around here considering the spring game is tomorrow. Anyone planning on going?

Time Line of Events

5:00 a.m. Tailgating lots open (Sioux Tailgate Cook-off Challenge participants only)

9:00 a.m. Food competition check-in begins

10:30 a.m. People's Choice fan judging begins, Fan activities begin (Live music, family scavenger hunt, interactive games)

11:00 a.m. Free kids sports clinic begins (ages K-8)

12:00 p.m. Sioux Tailgate Cook-off Challenge judging begins

12:30 p.m. All judging completed, Gates open

1:00 p.m. Spring Football Game

Contest winners announced at halftime

I'm going to go and I'm bringing my family with and also meeting a few friend out there. This stupid-ass weather isn't going to stop me from something I've been looking forward to for a few weeks! Man was I pissed yesterday when I saw how much it was snowing!

I'm curious to see what this tailgating competition looks like. I think it will be pretty cool. Why don't they do something like that for each game?

I noticed the same thing with the same questions. Seems curious that one of the top prospects for starting QB would not participate in one of the spring's few scrimmages unless there was an injury -- and I didn't hear anyone who was there mention any apparent problems this past Saturday. Hope it doesn't suggest something else. Maybe the Sioux Football Insider guys will have some insight? I was looking forward to seeing Ivery as well.

I'm sure you've already read it but some are being held out of this game for academic reasons. Boys better smarten up and get to classes.