SiouxSports.com Forum

Big Ten Hockey Conference

dakota fairways

The BTHC is a done deal. Look ahead is correct. On good authority, the Big 10 will be looking for a couple of schools, most likely Illinois and Indiana, to start D1 hockey programs.

Then the B10 better get ready to finance their jump from club hockey to D1. Not every school has a donor like Penn State to foot that bill.

Pigs get fat. Hogs get slaughtered.

and then they'll get gobbled up by the WCHA carnivors..... Sioux, Pios, 'Dogs, Huskies, Seawolves (don't know what a seawolf eats, I'm adding them based on their totally devouring humiliating the Goofs this year), etc!!

It will be interesting to see how many Goofy 'fans' travel to support their team when they're in the B10. IMO, it's going to be a long time before the Goofs are competitive and, as evidenced by the significant decrease in fan attendance at the Mariucci, their fans don't support them when they're losing. If they don't support them at home, they sure as heck aren't going to support them on the road.

• Upvote 1

This is the dumbest thing ever and if Minn and Wis can not see that then do not let the door hit you on the way out. I think just combine the WCHA and CCHA then add UAH and its all good. Maybe try to get a Cal school to add hockey or someone out west.

This is the dumbest thing ever and if Minn and Wis can not see that then do not let the door hit you on the way out. I think just combine the WCHA and CCHA then add UAH and its all good. Maybe try to get a Cal school to add hockey or someone out west.

They don't have a choice in the matter. If you want to thank anybody thank Barry Alvarez and Penn State Univ.

• Upvote 1

Here it is.

It'll be interesting to see whether the formal announcement will cause UND officials to make any kind of a statement. If so, I hope it's not unequivocal support for the WCHA.

For long-term viability as a perennial national power, UND can't stay in what will be left of the WCHA. If the WCHA is unable to expand and replace Minnesota and Wisconsin with Division I replacements, a breakaway conference needs to be explored. I note expansion is not part of McLeod's "three-prong approach" to the situation.

They don't have a choice in the matter. If you want to thank anybody thank Barry Alvarez and Penn State Univ.

Yep. This is an important point and one that's lost on many people.

The Gophers don't have a choice in this one and neither do the Badgers...although the beached whale that is the former UW coach was a driving force in today's announcement.

I'm sickened by this.

Minnesota athletic director Joel Maturi: At the same time there are some mixed emotions for us, as Minnesota is an original and proud member of the WCHA. We would depart with fond memories, and the sincere belief that many of the great WCHA rivalries that the Gophers have been a part of will continue through non-conference play.

Minnesota coach Don Lucia: "Right now we enjoy playing in the WCHA and will work with the league and WCHA schools to maintain established and traditional rivalries to ensure a competitive and entertaining non-conference schedule.

It is pretty obvious they are trying to kiss the WCHA's ass bigtime so they can continue to schedule them. They know if the WCHA is to say 'good riddance' that their strength of schedule would be in the toilet and so would attendance. They are basically on their hands and knees begging.

It just dawned on me why the Tech fans and Gopher fans at Tom Reid's were chanting "Jesus hates Wisconsin!" Saturday night. Wisconsin and Penn State helping move this thing along. I suppose there are other reasons why Jesus might hate Wisconsin as well, but I'm not as versed in those! :lol:

I've digressed from the topic at hand. I'm against the move, but I'll be interested to see how the first few years go. Maybe Minnesota and Wisconsin will finally be able to get back into the tourny with that automatic bid.

Here it is.

It'll be interesting to see whether the formal announcement will cause UND officials to make any kind of a statement. If so, I hope it's not unequivocal support for the WCHA.

For long-term viability as a perennial national power, UND can't stay in what will be left of the WCHA. If the WCHA is unable to expand and replace Minnesota and Wisconsin with Division I replacements, a breakaway conference needs to be explored. I note expansion is not part of McLeod's "three-prong approach" to the situation.

I tend to agree. And I would echo earlier sentiments about UND joining with other D1 schools in the CCHA and WCHA to establish a new conference or some other arrangement. UND needs to look after its own interests even if it means bailing on the WCHA at some point.

• Upvote 1

It is pretty obvious they are trying to kiss the WCHA's ass bigtime so they can continue to schedule them. They know if the WCHA is to say 'good riddance' that their strength of schedule would be in the toilet and so would attendance. They are basically on their hands and knees begging.

Sorry top break it to you, but Minnesota will not have to beg anyone to schedule them. Mankato, Duluth, St. Cloud, and Bemidji will practically be falling all over themselves to keep Minnesota on their schedules. The rest of the WCHA schools will still want Minnesota on their schedules too. Minnesota will be turning away WCHA schools, not the other way around.

For long-term viability as a perennial national power, UND can't stay in what will be left of the WCHA. If the WCHA is unable to expand and replace Minnesota and Wisconsin with Division I replacements, a breakaway conference needs to be explored.

I don't really care too much about missing two schools that have placed 1-5-5-8-3-3-2-6-6-3-2-7 (Wisc) and 6-3-3-2-4-3-1-1-7-5-7-5 (UMTC) in the WCHA final standings the last twelve years.

I tend to agree. And I would echo earlier sentiments about UND joining with other D1 schools in the CCHA and WCHA to establish a new conference or some other arrangement. UND needs to look after its own interests even if it means bailing on the WCHA at some point.

We should know within a couple of months if British Columbia will be in the WCHA, as that school could be a game changer in the way college hockey is viewed in Canada. The WCHA would essentially be THE league for Canadian recruits, as many of the games would likely be broadcast on Canadian cable (TSN).

The WCHA would then be:

UBC/UAA

UND/UNO

Denver /CC

UMD / SCSU

BSU /MSUM

College hockey's dream of a west coast division with Washington, Oregon (with Nike money), and Stanford might be somewhat closer to possible.

Without Wisconsin or Minnesota, MTU would almost certainly head back to the CCHA with LSSU and NMU.

Tend to see Notre Dame, Miami, Bowling Green, and WMU sticking together and joining up with schools like Niagara (Buffalo market) and Robert Morris (Pittsburgh market) to form their own league. With it's new arena, Notre Dame isn't going to tolerate playing DII Michigan schools without gaining games vs Mich and Mich St.

If couple higher profile schools like an Iowa State or DePaul (or even Missouri or Oklahoma or Texas) could somehow start hockey, then a superleague of select WCHA/CCHA teams would be more likely, IMHO.

So now we know that the UofM and Wisconsin are going to the Big Ten what does the scheduling look like for the UofM. You would think the WCHA teams would have the upper hand with Minnesota because we all know that the Gophers hate to travel and I am willing to bet that a lot of teams the Gophers call upon will be demanding home games. What do you guys think?

I don't really care too much about missing two schools that have placed 1-5-5-8-3-3-2-6-6-3-2-7 (Wisc) and 6-3-3-2-4-3-1-1-7-5-7-5 (UMTC) in the WCHA final standings the last twelve years.

More power to you, but judging by the overwhelming demand for Gopher tickets (which allows the UND ticket office to charge premium ticket prices for that series), I suspect a lot of Sioux fans will care.

In them past 12 years they have combined to win 3 NCAA championships, I would say thats a pretty big deal losing two big programs.

So now we know that the UofM and Wisconsin are going to the Big Ten what does the scheduling look like for the UofM. You would think the WCHA teams would have the upper hand with Minnesota because we all know that the Gophers hate to travel and I am willing to bet that a lot of teams the Gophers call upon will be demanding home games. What do you guys think?

I think Minnesota will focus on playing Minnesota schools as part of an effort to resurrect that DQ cup nonsense.

We should know within a couple of months if British Columbia will be in the WCHA, as that school could be a game changer in the way college hockey is viewed in Canada. The WCHA would essentially be THE league for Canadian recruits, as many of the games would likely be broadcast on Canadian cable (TSN).

The WCHA would then be:

UBC/UAA

UND/UNO

Denver /CC

UMD / SCSU

BSU /MSUM

College hockey's dream of a west coast division with Washington, Oregon (with Nike money), and Stanford might be somewhat closer to possible.

Without Wisconsin or Minnesota, MTU would almost certainly head back to the CCHA with LSSU and NMU.

Tend to see Notre Dame, Miami, Bowling Green, and WMU sticking together and joining up with schools like Niagara (Buffalo market) and Robert Morris (Pittsburgh market) to form their own league. With it's new arena, Notre Dame isn't going to tolerate playing DII Michigan schools without gaining games vs Mich and Mich St.

If couple higher profile schools like an Iowa State or DePaul (or even Missouri or Oklahoma or Texas) could somehow start hockey, then a superleague of select WCHA/CCHA teams would be more likely, IMHO.

On February 4th, Saskatchewan defeated UBC 3-0 @ UBC in front of 195 people!

http://www.leaguestat.com/canadawest/mens/en/stats/game-summary.php?game_id=766

I'd rather have Air Force.

Just hypothetically speaking how awesome would it be for the big10 to fold and have Minn, Michigan, Penn State, Michigan State and Ohio State all join the WCHA and form something like the WCHA east and WCHA west much like SEC football.

WCHA West

North Dakota

Minnesota

Denver

Alaska

Duluth

Bimiji

Mankato

St. Cloud

WCHA East

Penn State

Michigan

Ohio State

Wisconsin

Nebraska Omaha

Colorado College

Michigan State

Michigan Tech

8 Teams on each side. Play a home and home with each team in your own division plus a home and home with 3 teams from the opposing division. Thats 22 conference games. Teams could also still schedule 3-5 non conference series which puts each team playing about 28-32 games before playoffs. As for the playoffs, take the top 4 from each division and throw them in St. Paul pairing 1-4 2-3 from the opposite divsion. So WCHA East #1 vs WCHA West #4,

East #2 Vs West #3, East #3 Vs. West #2, East #4 Vs. West #1.

Could you imagine the conference playoff tournament looking like this.

UND vs. UNO

Minn vs. Mich State

Denver vs. Wisco

Duluth vs. Mich

How glorious it could be. A man can dream.

The WCHA would then be:

UBC/UAA

UND/UNO

Denver /CC

UMD / SCSU

BSU /MSUM

College hockey's dream of a west coast league with Washington, Oregon (with Nike money), and Stanford might be somewhat closer to possible.

Tend to see Notre Dame, Miami, Bowling Green, and WMU sticking together and joining up with schools like Niagara and Robert Morris to form their own league. With it's new arena, Notre Dame isn't going to tolerate playing DII Michigan schools without gaining games vs Mich and Mich St.

I'm not sold. If UBC does find its way to the WCHA, I think you are exaggerating its impact. No way UBC would be able to deliver a TSN contract. An entire nation of Canadian hockey fans are not going to suddenly prefer NCAA hockey to Canadian major juniors just because UBC joins the NCAA. I think a regional Vancouver television contract would be the best to hope for in that situation, and I'm not even sure if UBC and NCAA hockey carries enough weight for that. Also, I just don't see the BTHC being the catalyst for expansion, except for maybe within the Big Ten itself.

• Upvote 1

More power to you, but judging by the overwhelming demand for Gopher tickets (which allows the UND ticket office to charge premium ticket prices for that series), I suspect a lot of Sioux fans will care.

In them past 12 years they have combined to win 3 NCAA championships, I would say thats a pretty big deal losing two big programs.

I just don't believe that losing Wisc and Minn is the death knell for the WCHA. If we are talking about a "loss", those two schools come out on the net-negative side of the equation compared to the rest of the WCHA.

I'm not weeping, nor gnashing my teeth. So far I have refrained from shredding my clothing.

I think I'll be okay.

On February 4th, Saskatchewan defeated UBC 3-0 @ UBC in front of 195 people!

http://www.leaguestat.com/canadawest/mens/en/stats/game-summary.php?game_id=766

I'd rather have Air Force.

With the ability to attract NHL-bound players, the whole dynamics of UBC will change. Nobody in Vancouver cares about washed up major junior players now.

Air Force offers little (the WCHA already has Colorado Springs covered), especially considering AFA has limited recruiting capability (i.e. no Canadians and NHL-potential players). Moreover, Air Force wants to continue its rivalry with Army, and maybe even Navy joins up.

I just don't believe that losing Wisc and Minn is the death knell for the WCHA. If we are talking about a "loss", those two schools come out on the net-negative side of the equation compared to the rest of the WCHA.

I'm not weeping, nor gnashing my teeth. So far I have refrained from shredding my clothing.

I think I'll be okay.

Nobody's talking about taking the gas pipe (I hope!). Minnesota and Wisconsin are gone and there's nothing that can be done about that. But given the two choices of (1) looking at all options and being proactive to minimize the fall-out, and (2) being content and comfortable in the left-behind WCHA, I prefer the former.

I'm not sold. If UBC does find its way to the WCHA, I think you are exaggerating its impact. No way UBC would be able to deliver a TSN contract. An entire nation of Canadian hockey fans are not going to suddenly prefer NCAA hockey to Canadian major juniors just because UBC joins the NCAA. I think a regional Vancouver television contract would be the best to hope for in that situation, and I'm not even sure if UBC and NCAA hockey carries enough weight for that. Also, I just don't see the BTHC being the catalyst for expansion, except for maybe within the Big Ten itself.

A TSN contract wouldn't happen overnight, but at some point it would be feasible. Canadians will watch practically any hockey if it means having the ability to follow future NHL stars. Once UBC makes the NCAA tournament, it's possible the whole of Canada will be tuned in. Canada practically defines its national pride by hockey, and having a Canadian NCAA team to follow may alter it's whole view of college vs major junior. IMHO there is a reason for UND to be scheduling games in Winnipeg: creating goodwill if and when UBC happens.

It will be interesting to see how the Gophers and Badgers fill their schedule. Will they have an interlocking schedule with a conference like the 6 team WCHA and the Super 7 did back in the 80's? Will they fill it with weak teams they can pay to come like the Big Ten does in Hoops and football? Will the Gophers host a 5 team 'Minnesota" tourney over the holidays? Will they travel out to the East coast?

maybe a partial answer to your questions:

The athletic directors said in a statement Monday that the Big Ten would work to maintain a strong schedule of non-conference competition with remaining CCHA and WCHA teams.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/hockey/news?slug=ap-bigtenhockey