SiouxSports.com Forum

La Tech at UND

star2city

For what it's worth, La. Tech had a better RPI than NDSU coming into last night's game.

Obviously it's extremely premature to do much speculating about a game next year, but from what we know right now, UND should be returning its top seven players, plus get Wilmer back. NDSU will be losing its leading scorer in Tveidt, plus Coleman who is their fourth-leading scorer. Unless UND suffers some unexpected early departures from any of the top seven players, I think UND will have a very good chance of winning that matchup next season. But again, a lot can change between now and 2011-12, and there's no way of knowing how newcomers for either team may impact things.

There would be some real uncomfortable people south of here if UND went ahead of NDSU in the men's RPI rankings.

Both Dan and Sioux2013 are excellent supporters of the Sioux BB team. I think Sioux2013's comment was perhaps more of a knee-jerk response to the general negativity that sometimes pervades this thread, even after a good win, than it was to Dan's comment. Speaking for myself, the negativity, especially when things aren't going the way that we'd all like, DOES get old.

It would have been interesting to have had a return match with the Bison this month on our home court.

It was a knee jerk response. I get so upset with so much negativity when things are not going right and last night was such a great win in my little mind I over re-acted to what I took as a negative post. I apologize to Dakota Dan and will try to control myself in the future. With so little hope for this team to start the season and we now have 4 freshmen starting with a winning record of 13-11 is incredible. As many have said the future looks bright for the introduction into the Big Sky and I personnaly cant wait. I think the game Monday night at Northern Colorado will give his the best barometer for what needs improved upon. After all they are in first place last time I checked in the Big Sky. Knock them off and we are looking real good. Go Sioux

There would be some real uncomfortable people south of here if UND went ahead of NDSU in the men's RPI rankings.

Uncomfortable to say the least. But I suspect that the more objective NDSU fans can see that UND does have a good young nucleus, and that the difference between the two programs next year, on paper, appears pretty slight at best.

For what it's worth, La. Tech had a better RPI than NDSU coming into last night's game.

Obviously it's extremely premature to do much speculating about a game next year, but from what we know right now, UND should be returning its top seven players, plus get Wilmer back. NDSU will be losing its leading scorer in Tveidt, plus Coleman who is their fourth-leading scorer. Unless UND suffers some unexpected early departures from any of the top seven players, I think UND will have a very good chance of winning that matchup next season. But again, a lot can change between now and 2011-12, and there's no way of knowing how newcomers for either team may impact things.

This is probably a gross oversimplification, but the Summit League seems geared toward more physical play (like the Big 10), while the Big Sky seems more geared toward finesse (like the Pac10). UND's recruits fit much more with the Big Sky finesse game, even though they were supposedly recruited for the Summit.

Football has the same pattern, too, with the midwest leagues physical, but the western leagues more agile and quick.

The one midwest basketball league that seems to break the mold of the Big 10 physicality is the Horizon League, with Butler and Cleveland St.

Having not had a chance to be at or watch the game last night- I will go off of what I heard off the radio broadcast. From what I understand the reason La Tech was able to rally was because McNeal was hitting ridiculous 3's. According to the guys, they said the last 3 he hit were with a serious hand in his face. He was only like 33 % coming in and was 7 of 9 last night. It never seems to fail that somehow our building (The Betty) seems to magically give guys confidence to shoot successfully.

I think what I can take away from this... is that despite having a tough lapse to start the game- and having to fight to the end to win the game. We still were able to win. That's another big step for alot of guys who are only 24 games or less into their college careers. My feeling is that they will continue to improve on closing out games, and have less lulls, as they get older and more mature. This next stretch of games are going to be incredibly difficult, as Utah Valley State is going to be an unbelievable road test- but then to follow it up with a non-conference game against a team that is near the top or on top of the Big Sky standings in Northern Colorado, is going to be a huge mountain for us.

This team is making strides- I think they will be the first to admit they still have a long way to go- but it's good to see them progressing at this point of the season. It happens quite frequently where Freshman wear down as the season progresses and they just aren't as effective as they have been. So far we haven't seen that, yet--and hopefully they won't, because we are going to need them the rest of the way. Down 17 to 4, what would the game have been like the last couple of years. I'm not saying it was because of the players effort on those teams, but most likely the game would have gotten even more out of hand- This team has exhibited a consistent effort, but they also show that they have some very good talent to overcome situations like this and that is what I'm liking from this team as we move forward.

Having not had a chance to be at or watch the game last night- I will go off of what I heard off the radio broadcast. From what I understand the reason La Tech was able to rally was because McNeal was hitting ridiculous 3's. According to the guys, they said the last 3 he hit were with a serious hand in his face. He was only like 33 % coming in and was 7 of 9 last night. It never seems to fail that somehow our building (The Betty) seems to magically give guys confidence to shoot successfully.

I think what I can take away from this... is that despite having a tough lapse to start the game- and having to fight to the end to win the game. We still were able to win. That's another big step for alot of guys who are only 24 games or less into their college careers. My feeling is that they will continue to improve on closing out games, and have less lulls, as they get older and more mature. This next stretch of games are going to be incredibly difficult, as Utah Valley State is going to be an unbelievable road test- but then to follow it up with a non-conference game against a team that is near the top or on top of the Big Sky standings in Northern Colorado, is going to be a huge mountain for us.

This team is making strides- I think they will be the first to admit they still have a long way to go- but it's good to see them progressing at this point of the season. It happens quite frequently where Freshman wear down as the season progresses and they just aren't as effective as they have been. So far we haven't seen that, yet--and hopefully they won't, because we are going to need them the rest of the way. Down 17 to 4, what would the game have been like the last couple of years. I'm not saying it was because of the players effort on those teams, but most likely the game would have gotten even more out of hand- This team has exhibited a consistent effort, but they also show that they have some very good talent to overcome situations like this and that is what I'm liking from this team as we move forward.

Much food for thought here. I quite agree that freshmen often wear down as the season (and latter part of the games themselves) progresses. That's part of the learning curve. Nevertheless, being down 17-4 early against a WAC team nonetheless, and then responding the way they did seems to bode extremely well for the future. Bloggers on the Louisiana Tech board do appear to be having a meltdown; some of them apparently feeling UND had no business of being on the same court with them. Well, that's their problem. One never knows what the future may hold, but if the nucleus of this squad can hold things together it seems only natural the freshmen will get better. Northern Colorado should be a good measuring stick. In any event, the win over Louisiana Tech was to me at the moment anyway a major milestone. For the momen also, let's enjoy it as much. It was a very good win.

This is probably a gross oversimplification, but the Summit League seems geared toward more physical play (like the Big 10), while the Big Sky seems more geared toward finesse (like the Pac10). UND's recruits fit much more with the Big Sky finesse game, even though they were supposedly recruited for the Summit.

Football has the same pattern, too, with the midwest leagues physical, but the western leagues more agile and quick.

The one midwest basketball league that seems to break the mold of the Big 10 physicality is the Horizon League, with Butler and Cleveland St.

I don't know what league you are watching but they don't play a lick of defense in the Summit. Look at the scores.

I don't know what league you are watching but they don't play a lick of defense in the Summit. Look at the scores.

I'll readily admit that I haven't been a recent watcher of Summit basketball, even if one could find them on TV. :lol:

But physicality of players does not equal defensive ability.

In a football or rugby match between UND men's basketball and Summit teams, I don't think the UND freshmen would stand a chance in the next three years. ;)