SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux vs. Gophers Nov. 7/8

CoteauRinkRat

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The week of the games down there you can go through UND as well. Though it might be tough. I got tickets through UND a few years ago. Maripukey doesn't really like to put Sioux fans together like how REA keeps a visiting teams fans.

Doesn't a school have to give the other school an allotment of 5% of their tickets?

Doing RUSH tickets at Mariucci you miss the first 10 minutes of the game but they have a TV in the waiting area, so it isn't too bad.

I expect big games out the both Potulny's and Irmen for the Gophers since I am guessing they will be pretty pumped to be playing in their home state. Still, I think that Sioux will take at least 3 of the 4 points this weekend.

An article about Sertich is linked. A tired quote from Lucia:

"North Dakota has probably got one main rivalry, and it's us," Lucia said. "This is the weekend that they wait for."

A subtle jab. This is a play off the "we're everyone's rival" theme the Gophers love to talk about. They will never admit this game is more than just a typical game for them. Just more Gopher arrogance. :glare:

"North Dakota has probably got one main rivalry, and it's us," Lucia said. "This is the weekend that they wait for."

A subtle jab. This is a play off the "we're everyone's rival" theme the Gophers love to talk about. They will never admit this game is more than just a typical game for them. Just more Gopher arrogance. :glare:

What an arrogant statement. I'm sure that he said the same thing about CC being UND's only rival in the mid to late 90's when UND and CC were on top (and he was of course the coach) and UM was down.

UM is a great rivalry, but not the only one. When Wisconsin was good, that was the best rivalry. CC has also been a great rivalry the past 10 years.

On occasion Lucia speaks in a reasonable and sensible manner, however, this is not one of those situations.

It looks like his fellow book club members, Wooger, M'Zacco, Tom Reid, Reed Larson, Sonmor and Nanne rubbed off on him a little too much this week.

I can tell you that gopher fans really have their panties in a bunch over this statement.

I barely even mentioned it. I don't know about POI but I brought it up on USCHO and it hardly had any mileage at all.

If that is "panties in a bunch" threshold, than the threshold is pretty low.

In today's Herald Blais throws a compliment the gophs way, but UnHappy opposing fans who think Blais only wants to play "cupcakes" probably won't give him credit for it:

Blais said that may change. "There's talk of expanding our league schedule to 30 or 32 games," Blais said. "With the flexible schedule we have now, every four-five years, we won't see Minnesota play here, and that's too bad. Fans want to see that series. And I don't know how much good it does us to go outside our league to find games when the strongest teams in the country are in the WCHA."

In today's Herald Blais throws a compliment the gophs way, but UnHappy opposing fans who think Blais only wants to play "cupcakes" probably won't give him credit for it:

He has a valid point.

I consider UW a bigger rival, but still thinks it stinks there are years we do not play UND four times a year. I may consider UW our biggest rival but the history of this rivalry is second to none.

Personally, I'd rather see more WCHA league games. The Big Ten allows its teams to each have two permanent rivals (MN has UW & the 'eyes) and I do not see why the WCHA could incorporate that into its schedule. Well, I'm sure there is a valid reason, like total number of game limitations, but you get my point. Plus, some poor team beside MSU-Mankato would get stuck with UAA every year.

He has a valid point.

I consider UW a bigger rival, but still thinks it stinks there are years we do not play UND four times a year. I may consider UW our biggest rival but the history of this rivalry is second to none.

Personally, I'd rather see more WCHA league games. The Big Ten allows its teams to each have two permanent rivals (MN has UW & the 'eyes) and I do not see why the WCHA could incorporate that into its schedule. Well, I'm sure there is a valid reason, like total number of game limitations, but you get my point. Plus, some poor team beside MSU-Mankato would get stuck with UAA every year.

I too would love to see more league games, especially with traditional rivals.

From the league's perspective, with its revenue sharing programs, it makes more sense to have UND, Minnie and Wisco play each other with two series each during the season. We have the biggest barns, the biggest rivalries and even when one or all of these programs are down for a season, we still sell more tickets than anybody else. Even if SCCC is 10-0, I doubt they could fill REA like a Wisco or Minnie series, especially if its around a holiday or something else is going on. I know people who have traveled through blizzards to GF when the gophers and badgers are showing up.

SCSU's record appears a bit.....uh....deceiving.

5-0-1.

They've beatn Wisco twice, beat and tied Tech, and beat Princeton (once in OT)...all were one or two goal games and all were played AT HOME.

Still, it will be a tough test for the Dogs. It will be interesting to see how they respond.