SiouxSports.com Forum

Big sky move

guyjamski

So reports are coming in that und is going to announce on Monday that they will become one of the new members of the big sky conference. The visit by the summit officials has been cancelled. The big sky is a great conference but is it the best choice for UND?

I think it was the only chioce because your football program wasn't going to get an invite to the MVFC in the near future. I'm not sure it is any better than the Summit for basketball or UND's other sports. An awful lot of travel and if you are going to continue to recruit Minnesota and Wisconsin hard, those kids' families would have no road games they could drive to (except USD).

If I had made a wish list on finding a conference the list would of had a variety of wishes in it. Have USD go with us, go to a part of the country that we are really putting more emphasis on in football recruiting, go to a part of the country where we have a lot of alumni, go to a part of the country that would excite recruits to go to away games, to renew rivalries with the Montana Schools, and go to a conference with strong traditions and is respected by others. This is absolutely the best of all worlds. I definitely prefer this conference because most of our sports can all be in the same conference, We can continue to develop rivalries with the same schools year round. The Big Sky is going to be a much stabler conference than the Summit ( which could end up scrambling a bit down the road). I would also take the new Big Sky in a heartbeat over the Missouri Valley. Although the Missouri Valley is still a very good conference.There are going to be a lot of good football teams in the Big Sky, We keep rivalries with USD, Davis, Cal Poly, Southern Utah, Montana, Montana State and Northern Colorado. . Eastern Washington and Nothern Arizona are emerging football teams. Frankly I am not exactly sure what Portland State, Weber State, Idaho State and Sacremento State are like. The Big Sky is going to be a dynamic conference and one of the best in FCS. The only regret is that SDSU and NDSU aren't in the same conference. Overall it is going to be very exciting times for UND. I can't wait.

• Upvote 1

If I had made a wish list on finding a conference the list would of had a variety of wishes in it. Have USD go with us, go to a part of the country that we are really putting more emphasis on in football recruiting, go to a part of the country where we have a lot of alumni, go to a part of the country that would excite recruits to go to away games, to renew rivalries with the Montana Schools, and go to a conference with strong traditions and is respected by others. This is absolutely the best of all worlds. I definitely prefer this conference because most of our sports can all be in the same conference, We can continue to develop rivalries with the same schools year round. The Big Sky is going to be a much stabler conference than the Summit ( which could end up scrambling a bit down the road). I would also take the new Big Sky in a heartbeat over the Missouri Valley. Although the Missouri Valley is still a very good conference.There are going to be a lot of good football teams in the Big Sky, We keep rivalries with USD, Davis, Cal Poly, Southern Utah, Montana, Montana State and Northern Colorado. . Eastern Washington and Nothern Arizona are emerging football teams. Frankly I am not exactly sure what Portland State, Weber State, Idaho State and Sacremento State are like. The Big Sky is going to be a dynamic conference and one of the best in FCS. The only regret is that SDSU and NDSU aren't in the same conference. Overall it is going to be very exciting times for UND. I can't wait.

I agree landing in the Big Sky is a dream come true. Hats off to BF and ROK.

I think it was the only chioce because your football program wasn't going to get an invite to the MVFC in the near future. I'm not sure it is any better than the Summit for basketball or UND's other sports. An awful lot of travel and if you are going to continue to recruit Minnesota and Wisconsin hard, those kids' families would have no road games they could drive to (except USD).

But kids may like going to play in warmer climates in a pretty well known conference nationally. With travel, if the Montana's stay and the conference is cut into two divisions the travel isn't going to be bad.

But kids may like going to play in warmer climates in a pretty well known conference nationally. With travel, if the Montana's stay and the conference is cut into two divisions the travel isn't going to be bad.

Yes, if you are a kid from the Dakotas, Minnesota or Wisconsin or even Texas, where would you rather travel to as a player, Carbondale, Youngstown, and Cedar Falls; or California, Arizona, Colorado, etc.? Great news even though I will have to travel farther if I want to see away games. On the other hand, the destinations are a lot more interesting. Go UND, Go Sioux!!

Yes, if you are a kid from the Dakotas, Minnesota or Wisconsin or even Texas, where would you rather travel to as a player, Carbondale, Youngstown, and Cedar Falls; or California, Arizona, Colorado, etc.? Great news even though I will have to travel farther if I want to see away games. On the other hand, the destinations are a lot more interesting. Go UND, Go Sioux!!

Both places are ok but I think Bison fans are trying to write off all kids due to location. I would use location as a recruiting tool. Play in front of 20,000 in Montana. Play a couple games in California. Travel to Colorado (cheap flight for family by the way). Its all relative to what the kid is loking for. Plus the huge positive of being able to expand your recruiting base into some great areas. Just like the Bison recruit more out of Illinois and Nebraska we will move further west. where there is a much, much larger population base. I know some are looking for negatives but you really have to grab at straws to find one.

Its been interesting watching this scenario unfold.

I would have loved to see the rivalry renewed so I wish the Sioux well in their new conference. Good Luck!!!!

The UxD's and the xDSU's should get together and schedule one OOC game each year. Play NDSU one year and SDSU the next. Better than bringing in Morgan, Lamar, etc.

The UxD's and the xDSU's should get together and schedule one OOC game each year. Play NDSU one year and SDSU the next. Better than bringing in Morgan, Lamar, etc.

I agree. There would be great interest in those match ups as opposed to the Morgans etc.

Fantastic idea! Send this on to the AD's and the press to get it going. Already a precedent this year with USD playing NDSU and UND playing SDSU. Keep it going!

1. I'm a Bison fan

2. I come here respectfully

Congrats on your admission to the Big Sky! To find a home for all sports has got to be a fantastic feeling. I did want to bring up one point for discussion. It's only a matter of time before NDSU and UND are playing again in all sports. That is very exciting because now when we start playing again the games will obviously be non-conference. Think of this...a non-conference game that will carry a great deal of energy, importance and the revenue will be fantastic. A non-conference game that is a sellout!

Feel free to disagree with me but I see UND and NDSU being in different conferences as a benefit for both. We will be representing the entire state in the western part of the country (Big Sky) and the central part of the country (Summit / MVFC).

Look forward to seeing both UND and NDSU represent! Let's have some fun!

1. I'm a Bison fan

Congrats on your admission to the Big Sky! To find a home for all sports has got to be a fantastic feeling. I did want to bring up one point for discussion. It's only a matter of time before NDSU and UND are playing again in all sports. That is very exciting because now when we start playing again the games will obviously be non-conference. Think of this...a non-conference game that will carry a great deal of energy, importance and the revenue will be fantastic. A non-conference game that is a sellout!

Feel free to disagree with me but I see UND and NDSU being in different conferences as a benefit for both. We will be representing the entire state in the western part of the country (Big Sky) and the central part of the country (Summit / MVFC).

That first part is a bit confusing! We'll give you the benefit of the doubt (for now) ;)

Like I mentioned a few days ago, one OOC per year

Year 1 - UND vs. SDSU, USD vs. NDSU

Year 2 - UND vs NDSU, USD vs SDSU

I think most people opposed to that do so out of hate and not common sense.

1. I'm a Bison fan

No ones perfect. We just recently lost a Bison fan to a self imposed ban for life so I am certain we have room for a respectful replacement.

Welcome to SiouxSports.