SiouxSports.com Forum

UND vs. UNO

UND92,96

Okay, I was listening to the coaches show and they said something about what Pat Behrnes (Omaha's coach) did in Grand Forks back in 1996. The people that called in were still pretty upset about this, my question is, what did he do that was so bad? :)

To the best of my knowledge, he's never acknowledged publicly that it was wrong to have done that.

Although it is not the way I would end a game, what he did was not wrong. There is no rule saying a team can not pile on points. Steve Spurrier made a living on running up the score. I didn't like his style, but I can't say he was wrong. Just because I don't like it, doesn't make it wrong. UND may have the option some time to run up the score on UNO or show class by taking a knee as time runs out.

There is no rule saying a team can not pile on points.

There isn't a rule against throwing at a batter's head in baseball or undercutting a player driving to the hoop in basketball. Just because there isn't a rule against something doesn't make it an acceptable thing to do in a game.

The bottom line is that some people can play a game with class and dignity and show respect for the opponent no matter what the circumstances and some cannot. I think it's pretty obvious which category Pat Behrns falls under.

The bottom line is that some people can play a game with class and dignity and show respect for the opponent no matter what the circumstances and some cannot. I think it's pretty obvious which category Pat Behrns falls under.

As I recall, there was also a lot of UNO post-game celebrating on the field after that game in 1996. It went on far longer than it should have with the Mavs acting as if they'd just won the Super Bowl. I believe that's part of the ill will, too.

Although it is not the way I would end a game, what he did was not wrong.  There is no rule saying a team can not pile on points.  Steve Spurrier made a living on running up the score.  I didn't like his style, but I can't say he was wrong.  Just because I don't like it, doesn't make it wrong.  UND may have the option some time to run up the score on UNO or show class by taking a knee as time runs out.

In my opinion, it was wrong. I imagine that in the opinions of 99.9% of college coaches, it was wrong. I would think it was wrong if UND did it, too, but I know that Dale Lennon would never do something that egregious. Running up the score can't always be avoided, especially if a team can't stop the run. Nobody would expect a team to take a knee until the last 1:30 or so. But a bomb in the final seconds when already up by two scores? No way can that be justified as anything other than trying to rub somebody's face in the dirt. I'm embarrassed that Pat Behrns ever had any affiliation with UND.

Running up the score HARDLY is even close to pitching at a batter's head or undercutting a bball player. The latter 2 deal with purposely trying to hurt another player. The first, however, will not physically hurt anyone. A bruised ego...maybe.

I wouldn't have done it either. But hey, what can you do?

Running up the score HARDLY is even close to pitching at a batter's head or undercutting a bball player. The latter 2 deal with purposely trying to hurt another player. The first, however, will not physically hurt anyone. A bruised ego...maybe.

I wouldn't have done it either. But hey, what can you do?

The point I was making is that there aren't rules for everything, but there are things in sports that are not acceptable to anyone with class or common sense.

In my opinion, it was wrong.  I imagine that in the opinions of 99.9% of college coaches, it was wrong.

I agree it's not the desired way to coach, but you percentage may be a little high. I have seen or heard of this many times. There are a lot of SOB's out there once you get out of North Dakota.

THis is a big game. I look for this to be a game in which the defense sets the tone, winding up the regular season, and heading into the playoffs. If they can keep Omaha under 100 yards total rushing, I think it will be a huge statement for anyother team that will try to run the ball against our 3-4 which no one seems to know how to handle. I look for Digger to have a big game as usaul. Also look for Hoffschneider , Brandstead, and Gagner to have big games, they all played well against Mesa. I expect Dahlen, Babington-Johnson, Ullsberger, and Halstenson also to have big games. This will be a team defensive victory. I think youll see some with tackles, some with sacks, some just doing there assignment, and some getting interceptions, some forcing fumbles, but definately all 11 will be big.

My memory may be wrong on this, but I seem to remeber Omaha taking a knee once or maybe twice as they were running out the clock and then on 2nd or 3rd down throwing a bomb when the players were standing around. :D anyone else remember this or am I wrong. Wouldn't be the first time.