SiouxSports.com Forum

EPA Drafting New Dust Regulations for Farms

star2city

I first thought this was a joke, but then realized that today isn't April 1st. I look at this (although I know some will) as not a republican or democrat push, but a push by morons, & it doesn't matter what their political affiliation is. What's unfortunate is that the EPA could be something positive in America, in regards to issues, but how can anyone take this agency seriously after they pursue a course like this...forget if it actually happens, the fact that they actually thought this up and have gone on to the process of unveiling it... is a cue that there are some really out of touch people, in a place with powers where they most certainly should not be. Yikes

There has already been some action in Congress. Letter to EPA

They already regulate breathing (carbon dioxide). Why not regulate dust? George Orwell is looking more like a prophet than a sci-fi writer.

I sometimes think that England and the United States flipped a coin...one would follow 1984 and the other Atlas Shrugged. Heads or tails...you lose.

I first thought this was a joke, but then realized that today isn't April 1st. I look at this (although I know some will) as not a republican or democrat push, but a push by morons, & it doesn't matter what their political affiliation is. What's unfortunate is that the EPA could be something positive in America, in regards to issues, but how can anyone take this agency seriously after they pursue a course like this...forget if it actually happens, the fact that they actually thought this up and have gone on to the process of unveiling it... is a cue that there are some really out of touch people, in a place with powers where they most certainly should not be. Yikes

It doesn't matter if you are a Republican or Democrat, what they are collectively doing in DC is scary. I read this piece over the weekend. It makes you think about where we are heading as a nation.

Whats your point? GeauxSioux already got it right when he said it doesn't matter if you are a Republican or Democrat. The country is being ran by incompetent people and they are destroying it.

The best advice I received in the last week, is using the "Ignore" feature for certain members. I highly recommend it.

It doesn't matter if you are a Republican or Democrat, what they are collectively doing in DC is scary. I read this piece over the weekend. It makes you think about where we are heading as a nation.

Yes, both parties are responsible for where we're at today. I think it's pretty easy to figure out which party wants to CHANGE our country entirely. If MplsBison is thinking a certain way, wouldn't you want to go the other direction?

In its response (pdf) to a host of legal challenges brought against the Bush administration's 2006 standards for airborne soot and dust, the U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia refused to exempt the regulation of farm dust.

The EPA has been regulating "dust" for a number of years, so the media story is a bit sensational (like they all seem to be). However, the EPA did recently toughen its standards significantly.

The NY Times article is equally misleading. The EPA was regulating soot and dust long before 2006. 2006 was simply the most recent change to the government guidelines.

My favorite dystopian writing is Harrison Bergeron - a Vonnegut short. I will wait for the US to get a Handicapper General before I ask for the check. Sadly this country appears to be going down this path.

In its response (pdf) to a host of legal challenges brought against the Bush administration's 2006 standards for airborne soot and dust, the U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia refused to exempt the regulation of farm dust.

The EPA has been regulating "dust" for a number of years, so the media story is a bit sensational (like they all seem to be). However, the EPA did recently toughen its standards significantly.

The NY Times article is equally misleading. The EPA was regulating soot and dust long before 2006. 2006 was simply the most recent change to the government guidelines.

My favorite dystopian writing is Harrison Bergeron - a Vonnegut short. I will wait for the US to get a Handicapper General before I ask for the check. Sadly this country appears to be going down this path.

My point was only that this isn't anything new. Not in the slightest.

So I don't get the (faux?) shock and outrage in this thread, like this is some shocking new development. Were you just as shocked and outraged back in 2006, when Obama wasn't the president? Didn't think so.

Just another excuse for lay people to bash the president.

The best advice I received in the last week, is using the "Ignore" feature for certain members. I highly recommend it.

Much more refreshing that way. :lol:

As for the topic at hand, the EPA is one of those federal agencies that routinely ends up getting sued because it violates its own rulemaking authority. More often than not it seems, they get their asses handed to them by a federal judge or two. And when you have a bipartisan group of senators holding your purse strings, I can't imagine this will fly far. Then again, maybe the EPA will cite my cleaning woman for failing to dust the TV. :ohmy: