SiouxSports.com Forum

Clean/Reasonable Hotels in GF

JESUS,family,rutgers

I am thinking about going out to North Dakota for my first trip. Hoping to hit a football/hockey weekend. Do any of you have suggestions about a clean,reasonably-priced hotel? Looking for something like a Red Roof Inn type level. Also,is it easy to get a rent-a-car at the GF airport? Any other travel tips would be appreciated.

I haven't lived in the Forks for years, but you'll probably not have a problem finding a decent mid-range hotel. I recall a number of chains had set up there over the years. You may want to check one of the bigger travel sites, like Orbitz, Hotels.com, etc. for rates. But you may want to book early, since they can fill quickly depending on what's going on, such as homecoming, Gophers series, etc. As a possibly cheaper alternative to flying into GF, you may want to fly into MSP, rent a car there and drive to GF. It's all interstate, and a pretty reasonable distance for a weekend road trip.

3 different rental car outlets at the airport, so normally they have a good selection. That may depend on the weekend, as ScottM mentioned for hotels. Usually you can get a pretty decent rate unless they are going to sell out. The earlier you can pick a date the better deal you will probably get on both car and hotel.

I am thinking about going out to North Dakota for my first trip. Hoping to hit a football/hockey weekend. Do any of you have suggestions about a clean,reasonably-priced hotel? Looking for something like a Red Roof Inn type level. Also,is it easy to get a rent-a-car at the GF airport? Any other travel tips would be appreciated.

America's Best Value Inn is a pretty decent place for the money, at least that was our experience.

America's Best would be close to the Al and the Ralph - although nothing in GF is THAT far away. Here's the website...

Americas Best Value Hotel

What weekend are you looking at J? I'll have to notify the police, mayors office, and WIDMANS a celebrity is coming to town :)

Looking forward too it...lets keep this thread open for travel/tourist advice for our internet buddy JF&R FINALLY making the pilgrimage to GF!!

We'll need to make up a "must see" list for a visiting Sioux Fan...

--the Red Pepper would be right at the top...other suggestions?

If you have time contact The Ralph about getting a behind the scenes tour. The Plaza is probably the cheapest, cleanest, just know you are getting a room and that's it. I'm not bashing it just want you to know what you will be getting. I use Hotel.com but read the reviews.

If all goes well, I am looking at the Minnesota-Duluth/UC-Davis weekend. I checked the website and the America looks fine--$80 per night. In New Jersey,it would cost more than that to house a cat or dog!!!--By the way,Siouxmenow, sorry about calling you Elaine. It could be worse--I called her Mike! I expect the UND band will be at the airport along with Coach Hakstol and the FSSN TV crew. Maybe you can even get Phil Jackson to show up. Maybe Widmans can make special "R" chocolates and if I go to the Italian Moon or Whitey's they can play "Born To Run" when I walk in?

If all goes well, I am looking at the Minnesota-Duluth/UC-Davis weekend. I checked the website and the America looks fine--$80 per night. In New Jersey,it would cost more than that to house a cat or dog!!!--By the way,Siouxmenow, sorry about calling you Elaine. It could be worse--I called her Mike! I expect the UND band will be at the airport along with Coach Hakstol and the FSSN TV crew. Maybe you can even get Phil Jackson to show up. Maybe Widmans can make special "R" chocolates and if I go to the Italian Moon or Whitey's they can play "Born To Run" when I walk in?

When you find a room, please let us know if you want the hotel staff to remove the yellow M&M's from the dish, or if only Fiji bottled water will do. Maybe only a black rental car? Would a limo work better? :) If you are making the trip to ND, we want it to be the BEST experience for you!

Anyway, hope you are able to make the journey out here. Would love to finally meet you in person.

Siouxmama,

Don't forget about the Bismarck Chamber Orchestra playing Vivald's greatest hits as I and my entourage enter the hotel lobby!

Forget Bismarck. The Grand Forks Symphony has been around for more than a hundred years. I'm sure they would be happy to greet you.

If you have time contact The Ralph about getting a behind the scenes tour. The Plaza is probably the cheapest, cleanest, just know you are getting a room and that's it. I'm not bashing it just want you to know what you will be getting. I use Hotel.com but read the reviews.

If you chose the Plaza get a room closest to the office if you want wireless internet otherwise you won't get it.

When you find a room, please let us know if you want the hotel staff to remove the yellow M&M's from the dish, or if only Fiji bottled water will do. Maybe only a black rental car? Would a limo work better? :) If you are making the trip to ND, we want it to be the BEST experience for you!

sheesh...the Queen of England was just in Winnipeg and wasn't nearly as demanding and only SLIGHTLY better dressed! ;)

Rhombus Pizza and the Toasted Frog also go on the "must eat" list...hopefully they can compare with the famous Rutgers Grease trucks. Gotta say that FatDarrell looks delicious!!! :glare:

mmmmmmm

Siouxmenow,

Someone of my stature is far too refined to eat at the Grease Trucks.

82Siouxguy,

I am surprised by now you haven't realized my arrival will be celebrated as a statewide extravaganza. I requested the Bismarck Chamber Orchestra because it wouldn't be fair to the rest of the state if Grand Forks receives all the glory of having me amongst them.

Celebration update---Anamoose has just named their freeway system after me.

Siouxmenow,

82Siouxguy,

I am surprised by now you haven't realized my arrival will be celebrated as a statewide extravaganza. I requested the Bismarck Chamber Orchestra because it wouldn't be fair to the rest of the state if Grand Forks receives all the glory of having me amongst them.

I'm just trying to get you the best in the state. If you want to settle for the Bismarck Chamber Orchestra we can do that. Now if you want a cowboy band, Bismarck probably has several that are better than any in the Grand Forks area.

How about getting the Governor to welcome you to the state, he shows up for a lot of hockey games anyway.

Siouxmenow,

82Siouxguy,

Is that the road that goes by Joe and Ana Moose?

I think somebody should work on getting JFR to do the special "Let's Go Sioux" introduction that is usually done by celebrities in the building (Oshie, Gov. Hoven, Belfour, etc.)

Maybe somebody could get him an intermission interview with Sweeney also.

Pat Sweeney just called me and said he will be taking the Duluth series off. Jim Scanlon and I will be handling the announcing for both games (mostly me). Pat asked me to pronounce Rastislav Spirko and he said the gig was mine. Mrs. SiouxMeNow and the great staff at FSSN will televise the games in a special split screen format. On the bottom right will be the game and on the rest of the screen fans will get to to see the main reason they tuned in--ME.