SiouxSports.com Forum

INCH's WCHA notebook disses Grand Forks

CoteauRinkRat

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's going to be tough to fill REA when the Bison are in town. Especially, trying to draw in the traveling seasons from the region. That said, getting over 10k in one place the size of GF is a pretty decent accomplishment.

With regard to White Cloud, and its continuing problems with racism, anti-Semitism, ageism, etc.

"LoPresti is pictured wearing a Blackhawks sweater from that era. But on painting, they've replaced the Indian head logo with a depiction of a dog. Yes, it's a husky. Some are apparently not just content to re-write history, they want to re-paint it too."

Apparently, Saigo and crew now equate Indians with dogs. Where's Cryin' Jim, Lucy Gange and the rest of the PC Nazis? :(:D

http://insidecollegehockey.com/7Archives/N...s/wcha_0208.htm

For anyone who hasn't read this, take a look at this link. The guy gives a bench minor penalty to the people of Greater Grand Forks for not filling the Ralph against BC.

His last line is almost comical. I guess he doesn't understand the Sioux/Bison game.

You might want to read the article a little more closely. He was talking about FRIDAY nights game, and he has a valid point. How do 500 tickets go unsold for this game? Granted, it's was "only" Boston College, not the hated Gophers, but it was billed as big matchup between two of the top 3 teams in the country, and we didn't fill the arena? That is what INCH issued the "bench minor" for, and Saturday's Sioux-Bison game didn't have anything to do with it. At least, that's the way I read it, and Saturday's hockey game crowd was even larger than Friday night's crowd, so obviously the fans just kept going all day... :D

You might want to read the article a little more closely. He was talking about FRIDAY nights game, and he has a valid point. How do 500 tickets go unsold for this game? Granted, it's was "only" Boston College, not the hated Gophers, but it was billed as big matchup between two of the top 3 teams in the country, and we didn't fill the arena? That is what INCH issued the "bench minor" for, and Saturday's Sioux-Bison game didn't have anything to do with it. At least, that's the way I read it, and Saturday's hockey game crowd was even larger than Friday night's crowd, so obviously the fans just kept going all day... :D

Do you understand the Sioux/Bison game? obviously not. Sioux hockey takes a backseat to that game every year. Regardless of what games are in town, mostly everyone is talking/thinking/sleeping/eating the Sioux/Bison game. If we are playing the gophers, the focus would be split, but not BC.

I find it amusing that INCH hand's down a bench minor for Grand Forks for not filling 500 seats, but there are big games played throughout the country in front of 3/4 full buildings, in town's ten times as big as Grand Forks.

CoteauRinkRat,

Not that I want to argue with you, but I do understand the Sioux/Bison game. I count down every year for that game, and most years, I end up not seeing it, as I always seem to have Guard drill that weekend. My only 2 questions are, how does the game being on Saturday affect the size of the crowd on Friday night?, and Why are you making such a big deal out what some hockey web-site guy thinks of Grand Forks? We support our hockey team pretty well, I think, and while I would LOVE to see 12,000 + people at every game, I will admit it is not realistic. So let's not worry about what this guy thinks of us, and let's talk about next week's Yale series and/or the BIG weekend after that.

Here's a question for ya, which is going to suffer (attendance-wise) on NOV 8th, the Areosmith-KISS concert, or the Sioux-Gopher game? I would like to think that the game will still be packed, so here's hoping I am correct. :(

Oh yeah, and haven't you realized that INCH, USCHO, ESPN, etc., will always point out flaws in our program, fans, city, at every oppertunity? And yet they talk up programs that have histories of questionable recruiting/eligibility, such as Michigan, Maine, and in the case of J.D. Forrest, BC? :D

Aerosmith-Kiss concert is comparable to a Sioux/Bison game?

The reason why I included saturday night's game into my argument was because I emailed INCH and they responded with the fact that it was sad that BC was in town and we couldn't fill the building for either game.

You don't want to argue, but you are the one who started the argument.

I guess over 20% of Grand Forks' population in attendance for the games doesn't matter to you or INCH.

Aerosmith-Kiss concert is comparable to a Sioux/Bison game?

The reason why I included saturday night's game into my argument was because I emailed INCH and they responded with the fact that it was sad that BC was in town and we couldn't fill the building for either game.

You don't want to argue, but you are the one who started the argument.

I guess over 20% of Grand Forks' population in attendance for the games doesn't matter to you or INCH.

Ok, you are getting this all wrong. I am trying to agree with you, I think that both you and INCH have valid points, and no, the concert DOES NOT compare to the Sioux/Bison game. I was trying to change the subject, asking you what you thought would have a lower attendance on Saturday, Nov 8, as a direct result of having 2 large events scheduled in competing arenas at the same time. I said that I hoped the Ralph would be overflowing with people, in spite of the concert going on at the Alerus, and I wanted to know what you thought.

I'm still trying to figure out why the Alerus would schedule a concert during that weekend? It would be different if the concert was in the afternoon, but it is at 7.

Since it is Sioux/Gophers, nothing will detract from that game. It could have been a different story if the game was against someone else like Yale.

I didn't read their column. Did they mention that Friday night there was a high school football game in GF? Now, I realize that high school football does not rank anywhere near the level of a national collegiate #1 vs. #4 men's college hockey game; however, in GF, the citizens do like to support their children. The game in question was GF Central (then 5-2) against West Fargo (then 7-0), the game had significant playoff implications. (With Central playing well, there was a good chance of them knocking off West, and while the town was in a buzz about UND vs. BC and UND vs. NDSU, there was a lot of radio/citizen talk about the high school game.) I'm not saying 500+ people decided to to go to the high school fb game instead of the hockey game, but I am saying there was an impact.

Regardless, shame on those people who missed the game on Friday night who had the ability to be at the game; it was a great game.

airmail

I heard that same thing. It will be the 3rd or 4th time Aerosmith has played in the RRV in the last couple of years. Why I bring that up is, if in fact this big promoter said this, will the Alerus crumble to their strong arm tactics in the future? Especially for an act that the RRV has seen perform or had the opportunity to see perform a couple of times already. That is why i really don't buy that argument.

Good question... I can't say. I suppose its like any other business, you have to kiss the right asses at the right time. I'll ask my source next time I run into him.

You're right, though, about the same act in the same location. I've seen Aerosmith in Fargo and Grand Forks already. That was enough for me. I would've like to have seen Kiss since I missed their Fargo show, but oh well. I'm not losing any sleep over it...

(I would have lost sleep missing the gopher game) :D

Good question... I can't say. I suppose its like any other business, you have to kiss the right asses at the right time. I'll ask my source next time I run into him.

You're right, though, about the same act in the same location. I've seen Aerosmith in Fargo and Grand Forks already. That was enough for me. I would've like to have seen Kiss since I missed their Fargo show, but oh well. I'm not losing any sleep over it...

(I would have lost sleep missing the gopher game) :D

Having seen Kiss in Fargo let me say that they put on a great show but nothing would make me sit through Skid Row and Ted Nugent again, I don't care who they are. :(

Let me say multiple visits are common. After all, when I lived in Seattle, we had Green Day in Seattle 3 or 4 times within 6 months. So just ask yourself: Would you rather have Aerosmith as a repeater or some crappy punk band that outlived its popularity?

I emailed the writer of the article on INCH, Jess Myers.

He said that it isn't fair to compare Grand Forks to Minneapolis because Minneapolis has professional sports teams who take away from Gopher hockey. so if they don't fill the arena in Minneapolis it is okay and understandable.

I almost fell off my chair.

I guess it is all right to give a pass to the gophers on attendance as well.

From here on out, I will refer to INCH as "The College Hockey Enquirer", because their website has about as much fact and unbiased opinions on there as the real enquirer does.

He said that it isn't fair to compare Grand Forks to Minneapolis because Minneapolis has professional sports teams who take away from Gopher hockey. so if they don't fill the arena in Minneapolis it is okay and understandable.

I almost fell off my chair.

Gophers "fans" are constantly ripped for being no shows, just apparently not by INCH. It is one of the things that happens when you have a large enough arena to satisfy demand.

Let's see ....

a metro area of 3 million, a campus of almost 40,000, has no-shows in a 10,000 seat rink

and that is more acceptable than

a campus of 13,000 in a metro of 75,000 (?) that has the same number of no-shows in a 11,406 seat rink?

Unless the T-Wolves, Vikes, Twins, and Wild have each put in 500,000 seat arenas that math just doesn't add up.