SiouxSports.com Forum

Yale Ideas

MinnesotaNorthStar

Once the game is in hand, a loud chant of

"Go Staht tha cahh."

Heavy Eastern accent.

We tried to get it started with heavy Boston Accent last Friday but didn't catch on. Not a student, the people around us thought it was pretty funny.

For signs

Yale...The UND of the East...............wannabees

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing you need to remember is that pictures off the Web do not translate well into poster-sized images. They become extremely pixelated when enlarged. Most of these JPG files are small, low-resolution images designed to look good on a computer monitor and nothing larger than that.

PCM is right: I'm having trouble enlarging downloaded images without making them look like the people are in the Witness Protection Program.

I have gotten the neighbor kids to agree to help me with the posters. I bought some Halloween decorations that will come in handy since I have zero artistic talent.

I've got a couple of vampire cutouts that I will use on posters that say:

"Ref: That call sucks!" and "Yale sucks more than I do," as a cartoon bubble coming out of Dracula's mouth.

On a calendar, I found a picture of two Bulldog puppies looking a tad depressed. On the poster, one of them will be thinking, "So THAT's what 'neutered' looks like!"

I've got a jointed skeleton cut out that I will give a goalie stick and twist into a frightened pose with the caption: "Too Late Now to Pull Your Goalie!"

We will try to draw a representation of Ghostface from "Scream" to illustrate "2:00 for slashing."

One of the kids is working on the "I.V. League" illustration. I'll see if he can draw a picture of Greene taking out an opponent and if it's beyond him, I will contact the people at Sioux Illustrated to see if we can get permission to use a copy of the Greene Welcoming Fulghum picture that's on pg. 17 of the latest issue.

The kids pitched in with youthful enthusiasm and we finished 4 posters last night. They turned out pretty good. I think Adam will be able to pull off the Welcome Matt drawing. We're going to make some more posters tonight and I'll keep going until I run out of ideas or materials.

Forecheck: can I impose upon you to distribute these posters throughout the student section? Not sure how many I will finally have, could be in the neighborhood of 8 or 10. Our attempt to draw Ghostface (from "Scream") for the "2:00 for Slashing" sign was a bust so whoever is willing to hold up that sign will receive absolutely free an actual Ghostface mask (MSRP $6.99) that smells like vanilla.

Would anyone who reads this board but doesn't sit in the student section like a poster to hoist? If so, e-mail me at yaneusa@netscape.net with your seat number and I'll bring a poster to you Friday during warmups.

The kids pitched in with youthful enthusiasm and we finished 4 posters last night. They turned out pretty good. I think Adam will be able to pull off the Welcome Matt drawing. We're going to make some more posters tonight and I'll keep going until I run out of ideas or materials.

Forecheck: can I impose upon you to distribute these posters throughout the student section? Not sure how many I will finally have, could be in the neighborhood of 8 or 10. Our attempt to draw Ghostface (from "Scream") for the "2:00 for Slashing" sign was a bust so whoever is willing to hold up that sign will receive absolutely free an actual Ghostface mask (MSRP $6.99) that smells like vanilla.

Would anyone who reads this board but doesn't sit in the student section like a poster to hoist? If so, e-mail me at yaneusa@netscape.net with your seat number and I'll bring a poster to you Friday during warmups.

I'll be more than happy to hold up any sign and I sit right next to forecheck... or I did when I was at the BC series :)

I'll send an email anyways.

Hey guys, LOVE the ideas, they are all hilarious. I liked petey23's idea about starting a "Go staht tha cahh" chant, however, like he stated that might be hard to get started on a grand enough scale, SO.... Im thinking a poster that says "Go Staht Tha Cahh" would be great for Saturday night!

I'm quickly running out of posterboard but not steam or ideas. So, I'll make some of them two-sided. I wanted to use as many of your ideas as I could but had to tweak or simplify some to make them work, given my limited materials. Thanks everyone who contributed an idea or an encouraging word. This was a fun project for me.

Start thinking about ideas for the Gopher series. For a player in the box: "I got 2:00 for hooking but Mom got 5 years". Or, since KISS will be in town at the Alerus, maybe a thought bubble for a Minnie player in the box could be something like: "Wonder what Peter Criss is doing right now?" Or quote some stray lyric from a KISS or Aerosmith song illustrated with musical notes, suggesting the player can't get that song out of his head. I also have written a lite parody (that means I didn't change a lot of words) of "Rock & Roll All Nite" which goes a little something like this:

You show us everything you

Problem is, Kiss isn't in town until the Minnesota series, so doing that during the Yale series wouldn't make sense.

Also, the Peter Criss reference would largely go unnoticed because I doubt we're in an area that knows the intricacies such as that of rock history.

Thanks for all your hard work, YaneA!

Problem is, Kiss isn't in town until the Minnesota series, so doing that during the Yale series wouldn't make sense.

Also, the Peter Criss reference would largely go unnoticed because I doubt we're in an area that knows the intricacies such as that of rock history.

Thanks for all your hard work, YaneA!

Read it again, he says it's for the Minny series.

I am pleased to report that the posters for the Yale series are almost finished. My neighbor is going to bring over the "Welcome Matt" drawing tonight and we'll be done. Just one question: Do we want to do the "Zach: Meet Me at the Edge (Bring Jordan's I.D.)" poster or not? With Diggler's punchline, I think it's pretty funny but will the players, coaches or crowd think so?

Last call for fans, not sitting in the student section, who would like a poster to hold up at appropriate times (think: penalties, lots of TV timeouts, your face on the Daktronic). E-mail me with your seat number and I will get a poster to you.

My address: yaneusa@netscape.net

I am pleased to report that the posters for the Yale series are almost finished. My neighbor is going to bring over the "Welcome Matt" drawing tonight and we'll be done. Just one question: Do we want to do the "Zach: Meet Me at the Edge (Bring Jordan's I.D.)" poster or not? With Diggler's punchline, I think it's pretty funny but will the players, coaches or crowd think so?

Last call for fans, not sitting in the student section, who would like a poster to hold up at appropriate times (think: penalties, lots of TV timeouts, your face on the Daktronic). E-mail me with your seat number and I will get a poster to you.

My address: yaneusa@netscape.net

That one IS funny, but you do that for the opponent not your own team.

Ok, this isn't an idea about Yale, but it is some notes I picked up about Yale's players.

First off, Yale has FOUR goalies, one senior, one junior, a sophomore and a freshman. We will NOT be seeing the Freshman in this series. Interestingly enough, we may not see the senior goalie either. I expect the junior, Peter Cohen (who played us last year), to start the game, with the sophmore, Josh Gartner, to back him up. This is because these two goaltenders played the most games last year and, unless things are radically different, they will be the same this year.

Their star is defenseman Jeff Dwyer. He is 6'2" 197lb. Probably their version of Schneider. Interestingly enough he is not the Captain. Senior Forward Vin Hellemeyer (5'9" 175lb) is the captain and there are no assistant captains according to the websites (both Yale's and USCHO). However the media guide lists Jeff Dwyer as an assistant captain (picture of the guy wearing a jersey with an A on it). Their head coach is from Harvard. If any of you know the rivalry between Harvard and Yale, that might be something to key in on.

They have a pair of defensemen who are 6'3" 215, but no 6'7" goliaths on this team. They average from 5'9" to 6'3" with most players right at 6'. They are fairly light on their skates weighing between 170 and 215 lbs.

Vin Hellemeyer (11-20-31 last season), Christian Jensen (10-15-25), and Ryan Steeves (15-23-38) seem to be their biggest scoring threats from the forward position while they really don't have any scoring defensemen, Joe Callahan lead the Bulldogs with 2 goals and 11 assists last season with Jeff Dwyer (1g 17a) coming in second (going from a goals scored perspective. Points perspective, reverse the order).

I'd say we're going to slaughter this team. Only good thing about Yale is that their Sophomore goaltender appears to be pretty good. He posted a 2.54 GAA last season with a save percentage of .917

"I got 2:00 for hooking but Mom got 5 years".

forecheck said: I literally busted out laughing when I read this!

yaneA responded: I've got that sign made up but I'm savin' it for the Gophers. I'm thinking of doing a "thought bubble" series for them.

Re: the Zach/Edge sign: I completely understand the "protect our own" mentality. Just thought I'd test the sentiment here. Don't worry: Yale will be bashed plenty even if the students don't go after their captain with a sing-songy chant of, "Helle-meyer, Helle-meyer. GO TO Helle-meyer, Helle-meyer..."