SiouxSports.com Forum

I hope Fighting Sioux fans don't give up

JESUS,family,rutgers

I sense there is momentum afoot, but it's hard to tell being so far away. What do some of you closer to the action feel is going on right now? I don't think this is over (not by a long shot) but it's damn hard for people in power to admit they have screwed up and need to fix it. Is there the will on the SBofHE to correct their f-up?

I hope Fighting Sioux fans don't give up on keeping the name.--Our country is losing more and more freedom of speech and freedom of religion every day. Once it is gone,it will be VERY hard to get back.

GO FIGHTING SIOUX!!!

GO SCARLET KNIGHTS!!!

Really!?!

Tell me exactly how this country is losing its freedom of speech and religion. I think the only freedom that you've lost is your freedom to live under a white president.

Really!?!

Tell me exactly how this country is losing its freedom of speech and religion. I think the only freedom that you've lost is your freedom to live under a white president.

I think you showed a pretty good example in your post. America used to allow someone to speak their mind without a thinly veiled accusation of racism. JFR's post said nothing about the president. Since Siouxsports is supposed to be free of politics, I will leave it at that.

Edited by GeauxSioux

Really!?!

Wow! Brilliant statement :( .... You've had a few gems before, but this one may take the title. Would you happen to be Keith Olbermann, By chance?

The on-going debate about the Sioux name suggests our freedoms are alive and well -- we have more freedom today than at any other time in this country's history, to say what we want, hold the religious beliefs we want etc. So, keep on debating if you think it'll do some good. Your best chance at persuassion is to keep the debate factual and not based on emotion.

To an outsider like me, the debate is entertaining -- I don't mean "funny" -- I mean entertaining in the sense that it holds one's attention.

Really!?!

This statement suggests you have much to learn.

As you consider that which has curtailed our "freedom" don't make the mistake of considering only "freedom" lost through an iron hand of law or a rule to supress freedom of speech by force.

If you look at it in that way you will miss what we have before us today.

Our loss of feedom has come via a mechanism understood more as an inibility to defend ourselves from propaganda than any law or direct supression of speech. A propaganda that seeks to destroy any real challenge to irrational dogmas which mold our collective definition of reality. It is the media monopoly machine that does this one.

Know your enemy..

American media. It has neutered us all. As I have said before and I will say again and again in the hopes that it might wake up people;

The media has a way of making us think there is nothing left for us to do when in fact we have done nothing.

Oh and don't confuse my points as political. It sounds like you support Obama( I assume), so I will offer you this;

The Bush and Reagan Admins had as much to do with taking away our "freedoms"as any politically correct "liberal" rhetoric has since then. With their absolute support, big banks and media corps sought and acomplished the removal (de-regulation) of laws that significantly limited their actions on the axis of greed and control.

The "liberal media" as many posters on here talk about being to blame for the Sioux name change, is corporate "big" business! That is the problem in our country! It keeps us at odds with each other by playing this blame game using political ideologies as the focus of all blame. Quite a diversion huh? All with the simple goal of having us all do what we are doing here on this board, talking about which "political ideology" is to blame for our dire situation.

It is neither my friends, It is the media. That is what is Screwing you and me both.

The media decided that the Sioux name should be exterminated.

The same media that screwed the Sioux Centuries ago as well as today!

GO SIOUX!

The ability to have dialogue around disparite positions is what this country is founded on. I think the fear of the slippery slope is behind some of the sentiment. Anytime where there is debate there is bound to be a majority and a minority; whether it be about the nickname, health care, speech, religion, guns, you name it. This forum is all about the ability to speak freely and express opinions whether approved by the masses or a dissenting, minority opinion. It is not a political forum, but we are in a gray area when it comes to the nickname.

The greatness of our fanbase will be measured by the manner in which we dissent and voice our opinions, not whether or not we are in the majority or minority. No one is trampling on the constitution here.

I am a nickname supporter. My opinion is that the nickname was a revered testament to a culture that is all but forgotten by most of the United States. I will never be able to convince certain people of that. I accept that my opinion is able to be expressed and that my opinion may or may not make a difference in the ultimate decision. I take pride in trying to express it with a degree of education, decorum, and conviction that I know some lack.

The decision on the name is beyond my control. How long I dissent, and the degree to which I voice my opinion might fade with time. I trust that my freedom to do so never will.

Long live liberty and long live the Fighting Sioux in name and spirit.

:(

You have accused a few on this site of being racist and discriminatory.

Do you own a mirror?

BTW, do you treat your "white" patients differently???

Word just in is that apparently Gov. John Hoeven has recommended in an advisory opinion that in the event the Standing Rock Nation were to hold a referendum on the nickname issue and were the referendum to favor keeping the nickname that the State Board of Higher Education should then revisit their actions of the other day, providing that the action meet the November 30, 2010, deadline as previously established.