SiouxSports.com Forum

Protest to keep Sioux name!

yababy8

I have read in two different articles that there is going to be a march tomorrow (Friday the 16th of April).

Both of these artices were from Media sources outside of North Dakota?

Does anyone know if it is true that there is a march Scheduled for tomorrow?

The bigger question is if there is an event scheduled then why is it not posted on SiouxSports.com?

It seems to me that now is the time for people to go be a part of the process and have an influence on matters.

If 100 people show up for a march or protest then that has an opposite than the desired effect I would think.

If thousands show up then that might build some momentum.

So then how do we get thousands?

Well, first you need Social media sites like SiouxSports.com to support us through visibility regarding any planned event.

ie, report on the what, where, when. This is critical

Then we need people to paricipate and choose to make a difference personally,

We all need to talk to everyone we know who might be willing to take some time to go to a march or protest. Make sure they know about it.

Make sure they are going to go to it. Ask them to tell others.

There is more that would help as well.

For example:

If someone in Grand Forks could rent a message sign that could be placed on a main road like Washingtom or DeMers or University Ave. They could use it to informe people of such events. Then you would get MANY more people informed and involved.

Someone could do this in other cities like Fargo as well.

Maybe we should make a web site dedicated to Sioux name puplic events..

All I know is I don't want the feeling that I did nothing, Do you?

12,000 people go to ONE hockey game in Grand Forks so there is no reason that thousands should not show up for a march or protest as long is it is well planned!

Don't think for one minute that it is a coincidence that the SBofE acted at this time of year. It was deliberate because no one is focused on Sioux sports in April are they?

Don't be manipulated!

Do what they don't think you will! Stand-up and be heard!

According to:

Danielle S Date: Friday, April 16, 2010

Time: 9:00pm - 10:00pm

Description This is an opportunity for our community, UND and the Native Americans to walk to show our support to the Fighting Sioux name and logo. This is meant to help us all come together and try to make a difference. We will walk TOGETHER as Americans and celebrate being known as University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux!

We will start the walk on the corner of North 25th and University and walk to the corner of Stanford Road and University.

Facebook Event Link :

http://www.facebook.com/events/edit/index....112349325453623

According to:

Danielle S Date: Friday, April 16, 2010

Time: 9:00pm - 10:00pm

Description This is an opportunity for our community, UND and the Native Americans to walk to show our support to the Fighting Sioux name and logo. This is meant to help us all come together and try to make a difference. We will walk TOGETHER as Americans and celebrate being known as University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux!

We will start the walk on the corner of North 25th and University and walk to the corner of Stanford Road and University.

Facebook Event Link :

http://www.facebook.com/events/edit/index....112349325453623

Thanks for that.

Question for everyone,

Why is that not on SS.com anywhere??

Any event that only uses one medium is not going to have adequate turnout!

ie, facebook is not going to do it.

People need to get serious if you all want to effect change.

The media will give you the feeling that there is nothing left to do when in fact, you have done NOTHING!

Who is going to this thing tomorrow and how many people are you going to tell about it??

Thanks for that.

Question for everyone,

People need to get serious if you all want to effect change.

The media will give you the feeling that there is nothing left to do when in fact, you have done NOTHING!

Who is going to this thing tomorrow and how many people are you going to tell about it??

I'm going.And there's about 450 confirmed guests on the event page on Facebook.Danielle the one who organized this also did an interview with the Herald earlier this week promoting it.

Also, in an article I read in the Herald earlier with an interview with Eunice Davidson, a nickname supporter from Spirit Lake, that they are expecting to bring anywhere between 100-600 people to the event. Here is the link:

http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/157866

I can't be there. :silly: Will someone who is going post how it went, turnout, etc. Thanks.

Bump. Lets show the nation that we are not giving up without a fight. Tell everyone you know about this rally, i would love to see the numbers in the thousands!

Per Danielle S

I just wanted to send out a msg to let everyone know that if you do not live on campus there will be parking available to us at the Chester Fritz! To all UND studends that live in the area or at any of the dorms your asked to walk to University Park. If you are NOT a UND student we ask that you park at the Chester Fritz walk down to the southwest corner of University Park where we will all gather for the start of the walk.

Some ideas that have been brought to my attention for signs are: "Fighting Sioux Forever", "Let the Sioux be heard", "Promote Demovracy", and "Promote Sioux Vote".

This will bring a positive vibe to the event and that's what we are all hoping for!! Please no disrespectful or negative signs.

CANDLES- If you have candles that you would like to bring by all means PLEASE do!! This will help to keep a warm environment.

NEGATIVE BEHAVIOR- Plain and simply will NOT be tolerated

Thanks to all those that support the event and I can't wait to see everyone out there!!

Danielle

Bump. Lets show the nation that we are not giving up without a fight. Tell everyone you know about this rally, i would love to see the numbers in the thousands!

Per Danielle S

I just wanted to send out a msg to let everyone know that if you do not live on campus there will be parking available to us at the Chester Fritz! To all UND studends that live in the area or at any of the dorms your asked to walk to University Park. If you are NOT a UND student we ask that you park at the Chester Fritz walk down to the southwest corner of University Park where we will all gather for the start of the walk.

Some ideas that have been brought to my attention for signs are: "Fighting Sioux Forever", "Let the Sioux be heard", "Promote Demovracy", and "Promote Sioux Vote".

This will bring a positive vibe to the event and that's what we are all hoping for!! Please no disrespectful or negative signs.

CANDLES- If you have candles that you would like to bring by all means PLEASE do!! This will help to keep a warm environment.

NEGATIVE BEHAVIOR- Plain and simply will NOT be tolerated

Thanks to all those that support the event and I can't wait to see everyone out there!!

Danielle

Hopefully the local media will be there in full force. They always seemed to be there when 4 people showed up to protest the nickname... :silly:

Hopefully the local media will be there in full force. They always seemed to be there when 4 people showed up to protest the nickname... :silly:

I just talked to Danielle she said that she's already talked to KVLY and she'll be talking to WDAZ later on this afternoon and the Herald will also be there.

The walk was incredible! Both the Standing Rock and Spirit Lake tribes had members in attendance. There were multiple speeches and prayers by representatives from both tribes, as well as from GF Councilman McNamara and Danielle S. (event coordinator). The walk stretched for multiple blocks so I would guess that there were at least 300 people.

It was an extremely peaceful walk and I would like to give a big Thank You to the University Police Department for being kind enough to block off streets to allow everyone to walk together. The Officers were very supportive and followed along to ensure that our walk wasn't disturbed. I will admit that it was quite emotional. Walking along University Avenue with hundreds of Sioux fans, a cooperative Police Department, and passers by honking and yelling support was amazing!

The coolest story I heard on the walk...

Members of the tribes became very emotional when they visited Ralph Engelstad Arena today. Apparently, they were completely touched by the amount of respect shown to the nickname and logo and it brought tears to their eyes.

The walk was incredible! Both the Standing Rock and Spirit Lake tribes had members in attendance. There were multiple speeches and prayers by representatives from both tribes, as well as from GF Councilman McNamara and Danielle S. (event coordinator). The walk stretched for multiple blocks so I would guess that there were at least 300 people.

It was an extremely peaceful walk and I would like to give a big Thank You to the University Police Department for being kind enough to block off streets to allow everyone to walk together. The Officers were very supportive and followed along to ensure that our walk wasn't disturbed. I will admit that it was quite emotional. Walking along University Avenue with hundreds of Sioux fans, a cooperative Police Department, and passers by honking and yelling support was amazing!

The coolest story I heard on the walk...

Members of the tribes became very emotional when they visited Ralph Engelstad Arena today. Apparently, they were completely touched by the amount of respect shown to the nickname and logo and it brought tears to their eyes.

I think that is outstanding! I wish there could be more visits like that to the REA and campus to see for themselves how the name and logo are represented.

Did anyone get any pictures they can post? Was the media there?

I took a few photos, but they turned out a bit blurry. It was hard to get pictures to come out with it being so dark. There was quite a bit of media there. I saw three or four news cameras and at least five photographers.

vpyeqh.jpg

23wjll5.jpg

5x1rnk.jpg

2dce6h2.jpg

346001h.jpg

ve66x5.jpg

I took a few photos, but they turned out a bit blurry. It was hard to get pictures to come out with it being so dark. There was quite a bit of media there. I saw three or four news cameras and at least five photographers.

vpyeqh.jpg

23wjll5.jpg

5x1rnk.jpg

2dce6h2.jpg

346001h.jpg

ve66x5.jpg

Thank you MissSioux85! Blurry or not, I got a good sense of the march. I wish I could have participated.

Question for everyone,

Did SS.com take a position on the name issue?

I just didn't hear about it until the day of the march when I saw it in another thread on the forum here.

Anyone could have posted it to the "News" page to get it to the front page, which not only accepts crowd submissions, but even uses crowd votes to determine order. I also would've been happy to post a top headline announcement if anyone had asked, but no one did.

As to JackJD's question -- I can't think of anyone officially affiliated with SiouxSports who actually thinks the name is offensive (though doesn't mean some don't suffer from nickname fatigue). I personally am a big supporter of the name, but a bigger supporter of UND; so will choose the latter over the former if it becomes clear to me that the former is harming UND, though I don't think we're yet there. So, mark me down as pro-Sioux nickname.