SiouxSports.com Forum

Condolences from the Bison faithful...

Bison101

It generally warms my heart to see any sioux fan revel in pain caused by the failure of its administration, (Kupchelle comes to mind) or another blowout loss to GVSU or Boston College. However, what happened today is not one of those cherished moments. There are a few fans on Bisonville that are dancing with glee but they are idiots who don't see the big picture. When a group of 8 people can overide the will of a solid majority "because they know whats best," Democracy has lost. I am sorry Sioux fans, you were wronged. Just be UND, don't pick up some stupid new nickname like the fighting Northers' or something. It will make the process even more ridiculous.

It generally warms my heart to see any sioux fan revel in pain caused by the failure of its administration, (Kupchelle comes to mind) or another blowout loss to GVSU or Boston College. However, what happened today is not one of those cherished moments. There are a few fans on Bisonville that are dancing with glee but they are idiots who don't see the big picture. When a group of 8 people can overide the will of a solid majority "because they know whats best," Democracy has lost. I am sorry Sioux fans, you were wronged. Just be UND, don't pick up some stupid new nickname like the fighting Northers' or something. It will make the process even more ridiculous.

Great/Classy post. I'm in a state of disbelief/shock. Really hasn't sunk in yet that UND athletic teams will no longer go by Fighting Sioux.

And it is what can be expected from some Bison fans. I'm hoping the people that are enjoying it there are in the minority...

Thanks for the sentiment but it appears to me there are a whole lot of them having a pretty good time with this. I guess I just don't understand why they would want our name changed and think its funny. Making fun of the UND teams themselves is understandable. Whatever I guess.

Im just torn up about this. If Ralph was still alive... How can a few ignorant tribe members do this to us? UND is the biggest supporter of native american culture and now the name is gone after 80 years?! How many other teams have native american names with no problem? North Dakota has one thing to take pride in.. the legacy of FIGHTING SIOUX hockey. Without that were just the cold, barren state everyone makes us out to be.. A sad day. Ill miss ya Sioux

I don't think you'll see many Gopher fans being thrilled about this move.

Sorry to see it come to this, guys. We'll still have a great rivalry, but something has been lost today.

I wish. My cell phone has been blowing up with "See ya Sioux" and "Go Flickertails" texts since about 10 pm yesterday. :silly:

Great/Classy post. I'm in a state of disbelief/shock. Really hasn't sunk in yet that UND athletic teams will no longer go by Fighting Sioux.

And it is what can be expected from some Bison fans. I'm hoping the people that are enjoying it there are in the minority...

That is a classy post from Bison101. This is a rival type fan that I like. He can give it and take it but when it is serious he/she doesn't make wise cracks and is truly empathetic. I wish there were more fans like that on both sides of the field. It truly is a sad day for UND and North Dakota IMHO.

Even you southtexgopher.

... How can a few ignorant tribe members do this to us?

It wasn't. It was the SBoHE. Spirit Lake supports us and judging by the number of signatures on the petition that Steve Fool Bear and his group amassed to put the name to a tribal vote, Standing Rock also supports us.

Thanks Bison101, FargoBison and Southtexgopher. You understand that our rivalry is on the field, on the ice, on a court, etc. where it belongs.

I wish. My cell phone has been blowing up with "See ya Sioux" and "Go Flickertails" texts since about 10 pm yesterday. :lol:

One of my smart ass friends called to ask me about the name and his call went straight to voicemail. F