SiouxSports.com Forum

2010-2011 Fighting Sioux Hockey

nodak hockey fanatic

someone else brought it up and its never to early to start talking about next season :ohmy: so i'll start it

i think marto wears the "c"

malone and lammy with an "a"

line combos are tough because we don't know whos coming in, but i'll do and early guess (that will probably look very different in a few months)

i think you keep malone centering trupp and frattin as that line was lethal at the end of the year

move gregoire to center with hextall and kristo

lammy centering knight and rodwell

and brock nelson if he comes centering rowney/toews/cichy/bruno/mattson

defense is up in the air completely as has been talked about in other threads

blood and animal are the top pairing without a doubt

marto and lapoint, why break up a good thing

gleason and forbort

if mattson comes, he should be the 7th dman

i think fienhage goes elsewhere as i have stated before, he needs playing time, and though he played well when given the opportunity, he is the odd man out

i think chay (if he plays again) takes a pro contract, wish him the best... would love it if he came back and wore the "c" another season, but my money is on no

if simpson comes, he is obviously in the mix, but a 17 year old dman in the wcha is a tough sell, but if he comes, he is playing

davidson played very well once they moved him to d, he will be in the mix for playing time

hill could still be on the team for depth, unless chay comes back and simpson is here next year

i would like to see dell challenge eids for more games and hope they both continue to improve

GO SIOUX!! the skate for 8 starts soon (but not soon enough :D )

edit: i didn't see the other thread, i guess i am behind the curve here... sorry for doubling up

Gregiore is not a center IMO.

Lammy is next year's Zajac.

What really needs to happen is for Toews to step up as our 4th centerman.

i agree with you that lammy could center the second line and toews could be the 4th centerman, but who of the top six gets put on the 3rd line then? good problem to have, as i think we have a very solid team top to bottom next year.

i agree with you that lammy could center the second line and toews could be the 4th centerman, but who of the top six gets put on the 3rd line then? good problem to have, as i think we have a very solid team top to bottom next year.

Lammy will take over Zajac's center spot on the third line, not the second. Our top 2 lines from this year are going to remain largely in tact, and I would vote to either a) insert Toews or Knight into the position, or b)convert someone to a center. I vote for Hextall since he did play center in juniors.

Lammy will take over Zajac's center spot on the third line, not the second. Our top 2 lines from this year are going to remain largely in tact, and I would vote to either a) insert Toews or Knight into the position, or b)convert someone to a center. I vote for Hextall since he did play center in juniors.

good points... i don't think lammy's style fits the top two lines. if hexy has played center, he would be a good candidate, although not sure he would be as effective. knight would fit the billing too, so then who gets bumped from the top two? like i said, i don't think the trupp, malone, frattin line gets messed with, and i don't know how you can keep gregs or kristo off a scoring line? fun to talk about, but im sure the coaches will get it figured out by october or whenever our season starts :lol:

I think Knight might get a hard look at centering next year. IIRC he played center in either Okotoks or midgets. I really like this kid. Wasn't he called in a year earlier than planned?

Yup. He was Frattin's replacement. I wouldn't be surprised to see him at a center position, I think it depends what they decide to do with Hextall and Gregoire and if they'll split them up or keep them together and just insert someone in the middle.

Gregiore is not a center IMO.

Lammy is next year's Zajac.

What really needs to happen is for Toews to step up as our 4th centerman.

Did Toews center at Shatucks?

I remember his senior year there he averaged 2.5 PPG. That is quite impressive especially in an organization like that. He must have skill?

HE has got to be the biggest mystery in a Sioux uniform in the last 20 years.

We all wonder, What's up?

Maybe we could all pitch in and get enough money together to pay Hak to JUST SAY IT, and let us all know what he is missing now that we thought he had, and his point production SUGGESTED he had, before he came to UND.

If I was to guess I would say it is the 'prove it' expectations/ 'I deserve to be treated special' classic combo going on between coaches and Toews himself.

I just hope it all gets figured out and he lights it up.

I have always thought he would do well on a line with Trupp.

..BTW, Trupp had a very bad game in the Regional, several really ill advised passes on him. And Trupp is one of my favorite Sioux players..

I remember his senior year there he averaged 2.5 PPG. That is quite impressive especially in an organization like that. He must have skill?

Maybe we could all pitch in and get enough money together to pay Hak to JUST SAY IT, and let us all know what he is missing now that we thought he had, and his point production SUGGESTED he had, before he came to UND.

If I was to guess I would say it is the 'prove it' expectations/ 'I deserve to be treated special' classic combo going on between coaches and Toews himself.

..BTW, Trupp had a very bad game in the Regional, several really ill advised passes on him. And Trupp is one of my favorite Sioux players..

Thats the unspoken mystery of the Sioux this year, Whats the deal with Toews? I sure hope we see him as a regular next year, we need his speed, I was surprised that he wasnt playing in the tourney to match up against the other speedy players of yale. I think we'll see alot more of him.

Seriously though, who wouldn't do well on a line with Trupp? Just put your stick on the ice and yell for the puck... :lol:

Toews had a lot of points at SSM but nothing like his brother and some of the other stars that have come out of that program. That he carries the Toews name has probably raised the expectations for many fans. I'll be honest, I expected him to play a fairly regular basis this year myself, so from that perspective I'm a little surprised. But he's not fallen so far that I'd call him the biggest mystery in 20 years. I don't find Toews situation to be much different from Finehage's and we could probably find some others.

My guess on Toews is pretty simple in that by years end he was a top 12 skill wise, but not a top 9. Hak seems to like to roll one checking line, which i think is a good thing. Burke put the USA olympic team together thinking top 6 scorers and bottom six grinders/energy.

On the 3 scoring lines, Zajac, Malone and VV were just too physically strong for Toews to compete with at center.

Toews produced fairly well, but not as well as Gregoire, Hexy, Trupp, Kristo, Frattin, and Knight at wing. Prior to Frattin's return, Toews was getting more ice time.

Much like Cichy, you are not going to put Toews out on the checking/energy line. Neither is wired that way.

My guess is that coming in they will both be slotted as regulars and will have to earn that place in practice vs the new guys.

I think we see letters on Marto and Gregoire for sure.

I put lines on another thread, but it is all speculation at this point, as we don't know who is coming in.

I think:

Malone with Frattin and Trupp (easy)

Knight with Kristo and Gregoire

Lammy with Bruno and Hexy (I've always liked Hexy as a scoring threat on a checking line)

Nelson with Cichy and Toews

D. Mattson with Rodwell and Rowney (practice and earn it)

Chay (or Blood) with Forbert

Marto with Simpson

Blood (or Gleason) with Mac

Gleason and N. Mattson