R. Hale        - 9

D. Hale        +14

Schneider     +11

Fuher           + 5

Jones           + 4

Schneekloth  + 1

Leinweber     - 3

Mazurak       - 6

Nice to see the performance by the top four defensemen, one sophomore and three freshmen.

How can we have so many + dmen and have a losing season..

Looks like we gave up some goals with 5 forwards out there!!

Stats are stats...

Playing the game in the 3rd period and deciding a win or a loss that is the difference.  I think our team found a way to lose a lot of close ones this year and we kind of self-destructed again on Saturday and especially Friday.  Where do you guys see the team feel like they are going to make it happen.   On the 6 on 4 the veteran guys were out there the guys that had seen it happen before.  Bayda, Skarperud, Lundbohm, Mazurak, Schneekloth, Speiwak....

I think Mazurak was hurt and not as effective as he was in the past due to injury only!  He will be hard to replace and was a great player for the Sioux. I will miss watching him.

Aaron Schneekloth was a real good player on the point on the Power Play.  He will be missed,  He was our best there.  We need to work some other guys there Bayda, Notermann, D. Hale,  We need to find a QB on both PP units..  Maybe Fournier on one and I don't know who on the other...

That will be the key turning the special teams around.

Andy Kollar was awesome on Saturday night and in Grand Forks vs Denver..

I am so happy for him to go out on a strong performance.  He is a great kid Good Luck Andy!!!

HKNTSMN, I agree with you on Kollar.  I am so happy for him he ended the year strong.

I think the team is going in the right direction.  Every time this team has got me frustrated they turn it around and make me a believer.  Between the 2nd and 3rd periods in Duluth, and then this past weekend, etc.

I really like where the team is going.  I think we have good solid defensemen.  I don't know about great, but solid.  And maybe great, with experience.

I like our forwards, for the most part.  Good hard working types.  Lacking a bit of the flash, maybe.  We need a couple of playmakers.  Hopefully Parise can play that role.  I love how Fournier came on.  I really thought it was cool when he jumped the gopher player laying on the ice to get at the puck and center it during OT sat.  Play didn't result in a goal but you could see his focus and during the game his playmaking abilities.  He lost his composure on Friday and hopefully he can keep that under control.  There's one playmaker...

My biggest concern is with skilled playmakers, and with defensemen that are really good with the puck.  We are making strides in the playmakers area.  What about D?

There seems to be a couple of camps.  MN seems to be almost overloading with offensive defensemen.  That may give you a real offensive overload but leave you hanging a bit.  The Sioux seem to be loading up with good solid D corp, and hope to keep the opposition from scoring, and hoping to have enough skill up front to score enough to win.

After Saturday's game Blais said once again he thinks this team can win a Championship in 2-3 years.

Team was so close to being good this year; get rid of the third period swoons, and we'd be up there having a chance at the NCAA's. A good center iceman (or two) that can carry the puck and dish it off to scoring wings would really add a lot to this team. Panzer was that man last year, and Panzer and Ulmer the year before. Hopefully Parise is one of those centers. If he becomes that player, Speedwack and Notermann can continue to excel as defensive forwards, without having to expect major point production.

Dmen look to be good; if they can continue to play the already good stay at home d some of them have shown and improve the outlet passes, this team can be good without a Roche type player.

Dmen look to be good; if they can continue to play the already good stay at home d some of them have shown and improve the outlet passes, this team can be good without a Roche type player.

You're right. The key is making that first pass to beat the first forechecker, whether it's to the other d, or the wing running up the boards.

There aren't many defensemen anymore that can take the puck and carry it end to end any time that they want to ala Roche. That probably isn't expected of any of Dean's defensemen, as a player like Travis comes along once in ten years or so. Just make the pass, to your teammate, tape to tape, and you're doing your job.

ScottM said it and I agree with it.

If the Sioux offense could manage to keep the puck in the other end a bit longer, our D and goalies would look better.  This year the offense really struggled to maintain a forecheck I thought.  They worked hard, and that created opportunities and odd-man situations, but struggled to maintain control of the puck in the offensive zone.

That would have helped out on the D end quite a bit.

There's no way I'm going to tally +/- by hand by going through the game summaries, but for kicks I took a look at a random box score.

UND at Mankato, 16 November 2001

On the third goal, plusses are given to Sioux 9,7,20,22,18.