SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX @ GOPHERS

AZSIOUX

Agreed...Cepis has been huge for us since he became eligible a few weeks ago. Our defense has also improved since the series in GF - we haven't been giving up the 40+ shots per night like earlier in the year. Can't wait for Friday! GO GOPHERS!!

Helps that they're playing Bowling Green, Tech, and Harvard, I suppose. :(

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As others have said, the Gophers have played nobodies in recent weeks and haven't been too impressive in putting up wins. In terms of RPI, Michigan Tech (52), Bowling Green (53), and Harvard (56) are all near the bottom in terms of the 58 D-I teams. Conversely, the Gophers are 3-9-1 against teams with a winning record and have been brutal at home, particularly in the first game of series.

If you guys can get to three goals, you have a great shot at winning. Not sure if the big ice will take some getting used to, but the bottom line is that the Gophers cannot score goals even against bad teams, let alone good teams like UND, so unless Eidsness gives up a softie or two, I don't see how UND heads home with less than three points.

As others have said, the Gophers have played nobodies in recent weeks and haven't been too impressive in putting up wins. In terms of RPI, Michigan Tech (52), Bowling Green (53), and Harvard (56) are all near the bottom in terms of the 58 D-I teams. Conversely, the Gophers are 3-9-1 against teams with a winning record and have been brutal at home, particularly in the first game of series.

If you guys can get to three goals, you have a great shot at winning. Not sure if the big ice will take some getting used to, but the bottom line is that the Gophers cannot score goals even against bad teams, let alone good teams like UND, so unless Eidsness gives up a softie or two, I don't see how UND heads home with less than three points.

shouldn't take too much getting used to I'm sure they'll practice on the olympic sheet this week.

shouldn't take too much getting used to I'm sure they'll practice on the olympic sheet this week.

There's a big difference between practice and a game when it comes to getting used to the size of the ice surface, especially when UND has only played two games this season on big ice, and those were back in October.

Sounds like sandbagging to me. :(

I've watched the gophers a couple times over the last few weeks. They looked much better against Harvard than they did against BG or NMU. Seems like their D can be exploited by a speedy transition. Goaltending, like most series, will be the key for both teams.

I've watched the gophers a couple times over the last few weeks. They looked much better against Harvard than they did against BG or NMU. Seems like their D can be exploited by a speedy transition. Goaltending, like most series, will be the key for both teams.

Correct. The goalie that limits the soft ones each night will probably get their team the win.

green%20sandbag.jpg

As far as malone goes, I would like to offer an opinion about having Kristo on his line with Trupp. First I will say that other that the Kristo slot, I like all of our forward lines that we played last weekend. Very solid.

The thing with Kristo on that line is that it takes the puck away from Trupp who is by far our most dynamic offensive play maker. I think everyone agrees that Kristo is a talent at driving the puck (much like Genoway) and he also puts very good moves on his defender in their zone on the drive to the net and he finds a way to get a quality shot off.

That is all good but what it does for trupp is religate him to a rebound forward and that is not his gig. He needs to have the puck fed to him in the space that he creates.

I think the one weakness in Kristo's game is his vision outside of his space, I don't think his focus is on how his linemates are moving, it is more on how he can create his own space to get a shot. There is nothing really wrong with that. It is just where his skill is and is not and I don't think you want him with Trupp.

Anyone agree?

I agree with you. I'd flip flop Toews and Kristo. Toews would work with Trupp and Malone, while Kristo would IMO fit nicely with Zajac and Cichy. Would definitely give that 3rd line a boost.

No sand-bagging here ... as somebody who's watched this team go downhill for the last 2.5 years, I'm realistic at this point.

Sadly I'm with you Card. I don't see the Gophers getting an out right win unless UND gets really drunk celebrating the Friday night win.

Cepis is certainly better than most of the Gophers forwards, but he isn't really that great.

Kangas and Patterson have both shown the ability to steal a game, but neither has shown it frequently.

One perceived advantage UND will have is the level of competition they've faced over the last month. As others have stated, the Gophers have played relatively weak teams compared to even MSU. Maybe it'll take a few mins of game time to catch up to that speed and level of play. But I have no doubt the Gophers are capable of pulling at least one win out. They are too talented, and despite what others might say, they're well coached. Donny can't play the game for them, so they just need to ramp up the desire.

I think the one weakness in Kristo's game is his vision outside of his space, I don't think his focus is on how his linemates are moving, it is more on how he can create his own space to get a shot. There is nothing really wrong with that. It is just where his skill is and is not and I don't think you want him with Trupp.

I completely agree with this. Kristo has a tendency (from what I've seen in the WJC and the last few games) to rush the puck with a lot of speed, and try to create chances for himself. I wouldn't call him a puck-hog, but when ever he doesn't have the puck he calls for it. When he's weaving through defenders, he's not looking for someone to pass to. I saw him run into teammates while carrying the puck in the offensive zone a few times last weekend, which supports your statement. I like what he brings to the team, but he would fit better with a banger and a guy that can feed him the puck.

So when you say he and Trupp should be split up, I am on board. They play the same role on that line.

No sand-bagging here ... as somebody who's watched this team go downhill for the last 2.5 years, I'm realistic at this point.

I know what you are saying...but in a rivalry series, the cliche' is: "anything can happen". UND is the youngest team in the WCHA, and that was before taking Genoway out of the lineup. Having Hextall out is also huge, he is an agitator, but was playing his best hockey of the season in the weeks before he got hurt. Corbin Knight scores 2 goals after having 1 the entire season, and gets hurt pursing the hatty, on a leg to the post and is out 4-6 weeks. This UND squad is very balanced, and if they can learn to hold onto 2 goal leads, could be very scary.

Looking forward to the series. I'll be making the trip for the first time in 5 years. That time, we only went to 1 game and didn't hang out before or after the game in the bars around the arena.

Agreed. The Gophers are a quality team despite what their earlier record.

Sure, they've beaten up on some patsies recently, but I hope the Sioux don't take them lightly.

Having Genoway, Hextall, and Knight out hurts the Sioux. I hope they can get at least 2-3 points from Mariucci.

Agreed. The Gophers are a quality team despite what their earlier record.

The Gophers have beaten three teams of merit. BSU, MichSt, and UW. Other than that it has been squeaking by the cupcakes and getting drummed by the good teams.

I haven't been as impressed with this years UND group yet, but I've only seen them 4-5 times on TV. Now the second half starts and UND has typically improved at this point.

I agree with you. I'd flip flop Toews and Kristo. Toews would work with Trupp and Malone, while Kristo would IMO fit nicely with Zajac and Cichy. Would definitely give that 3rd line a boost.

That is exactly what I was thinking, I was just a little leary of including that particluar line switch in with my post because it might have been to much controversy for one post :( ya know the idea of putting one of our best forwards on the third line right after he comes back from a world championship performance on the first line none the less.

But I think it would be a great move, we know from history that the Trupp & Malone line works works well with Toews.

And further, If Kristo was with Zajac one could argue that that would become our second line, heck why not our first- It has been my opinion that Zajac's play this year is arguably the highest rated on the team and it sounds like Hakstol sees some of that as well. You put Zajac with Kristo and it is an agressive, driving, puck possesion line with scoring prawless (Zajac has been showing some really high end shot taking skill the last month or so).

This UND squad is very balanced, and if they can learn to hold onto 2 goal leads, could be very scary.

we did both games this weekend, saturday was a good test for them as the lead got cut to one and they managed to hang on. maybe that was what they needed a game like that where they finally came out on top and put this blown lead stuff behind them.

That is exactly what I was thinking, I was just a little leary of including that particluar line switch in with my post because it might have been to much controversy for one post :( ya know the idea of putting one of our best forwards on the third line right after he comes back from a world championship performance on the first line none the less.

But I think it would be a great move, we know from history that the Trupp & Malone line works works well with Toews.

And further, If Kristo was with Zajac one could argue that that would become our second line, heck why not our first- It has been my opinion that Zajac's play this year is arguably the highest rated on the team and it sounds like Hakstol sees some of that as well. You put Zajac with Kristo and it is an agressive, driving, puck possesion line with scoring prawless (Zajac has been showing some really high end shot taking skill the last month or so).

Ideally IMO would be to have Zajac as the anchor with Knight and Kristo...BAM! Cichy will have to do the trick for now though.

Sadly I'm with you Card. I don't see the Gophers getting an out right win unless UND gets really drunk celebrating the Friday night win.

Cepis is certainly better than most of the Gophers forwards, but he isn't really that great.

Kangas and Patterson have both shown the ability to steal a game, but neither has shown it frequently.

you and cardinal seem to have a realistic look at this. i see the same thing watching the gophers here and there when on tv here in az. what i see and have seen the last few years is there is no toughness at all and that wont change until you guys get toughness in house. always look forward to this series as many here do, wish i could make it to minny for the series. always enjoy bar hopping down there for this rivalry and having fun with the fans. sorry bc/bu fans, this is the best rivalry in college hockey :(

is matson out for the gophs?? i thought i read he git hurt again. is that the gophs only injury?

Least you can say that! Eidsness is solid, but can he steal a game??? He hasn't shown that yet.

Does Midco in grand forks get the BTN? if so, what channel?

Thanks

No, I don't think so. Just bought an HD tv myself, so I'm looking forward to watching Saturday night's game as I see Polar Cable has FSN in HD. Watched the Sioux over the weekend it still looked great on th 50" screen even though it wasn't HD.

No, I don't think so. Just bought an HD tv myself, so I'm looking forward to watching Saturday night's game as I see Polar Cable has FSN in HD. Watched the Sioux over the weekend it still looked great on th 50" screen even though it wasn't HD.

Unfortunately, FOX has yet to do a Gopher game with HD equipment, so it probably will not be in HD. BTN, on the other hand, does, so Friday night should be in HD