SiouxSports.com Forum

2010 Olympics - Hockey

AZSIOUX

I see Team Canada is announcing their squad in 35 minutes. CONGRATS TOEWS!

TSN

Team USA will announce their roster after the New Years Day game at Fenway Park between the Bruins and Flyers

The Olympics mens and womens could have 5 sioux player ties in all and 4 im guessing for sure with parise/toews and lamoureux sisters

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TEAM CANADA

Forwards

Sidney Crosby (A)

Jarome Iginla (A)

Patrice Bergeron

Ryan Getzlaf

Dany Heatley

Patrick Marleau

Brenden Morrow

Rich Nash

Corey Perry

Mike Richards

Eric Staal

Joe Thornton

Jonathan Toews

Defense

Dan Boyle, Ottawa, Ont. (San Jose Sharks)

Drew Doughty, Ottawa, Ont. (LA Kings)

Duncan Keith, Penticton, B.C. (Chicago Blackhawks)

Scott Niedermayer, Cranbrook, B.C. (Anaheim Ducks) - Captain

Chris Pronger, Dryden, Ont. (Philadelphia Flyers) - Alternate captain

Brent Seabrook, Tsawwassen, B.C. (Chicago Blackhawks)

Shea Weber, Sicamous, B.C. (Nashville Predators)

Goalies

Martin Brodeur, Montreal, Que. (New Jersey Devils)

Roberto Luongo, Montreal, Que. (Vancouver Canucks)

Marc-Andre Fleury, Sorel, Que. (Pittsburgh Penguins)

Nice to see Patrice Bergeron make this squad. I know Goon will appreciate that with me. He was so fun to watch during the World Juniors at the Ralph, and with Canada's stacked roster and his injury issues (concussions) I wasn't so sure that he'd make it.

It was announced Brodeur, Fleury and Luongo. In that order.

It was but tsn talked about the 3 and had fleury 3rd for now as they had toews listed as 13th forward but tsn mentioned he could be on a 3rd line as well. either way they are friken laoded and russia, sweden and usa have their work cut out. if russia can put it together they will be dangerous!

I hope the US goes young this year...no more of the old-folks. Well, maybe 1 or 2 for "leadership" reasons, but otherwise keep it young and get these guys some Olympic experience. Guys like:

Parise

Oshie

Stasny

Kane

Kesler

Ryan

The Johnson boys on D

Bogosian

Oh yeah...and screw Kessel...he'll be a cancer on that team. I'm sure I'm missing a few, but you get the point.

I am surprised to see Phaneuf left off the team. Given the Olympic ice and rules I can see going with some quicker D, but Phaneuf has been one of the best NHL D man the past couple of years.

After watching this years World Junior games it is tough for me not to say F Canada and hope they end up w/out a medal.

Nice to see Patrice Bergeron make this squad. I know Goon will appreciate that with me. He was so fun to watch during the World Juniors at the Ralph, and with Canada's stacked roster and his injury issues (concussions) I wasn't so sure that he'd make it.

His stock rose this year after recovering from a Concussion last season and getting it going this season. Defensive is one way to discribe him and he will be good on the PK.

I am surprised to see Phaneuf left off the team. Given the Olympic ice and rules I can see going with some quicker D, but Phaneuf has been one of the best NHL D man the past couple of years.

After watching this years World Junior games it is tough for me not to say F Canada and hope they end up w/out a medal.

I agree 100%. He was my biggest surprise as to who Canada left off the team.

Very heady times for Hockey Canada to be sure.

I don't think Phaneuf has had a particularly great season, not discounting the past though... and who do you take off Canada's blue line and put him on? Most of what I've heard from the Canadian media and fans the past few months didn't feel he should be on the team either. Phaneuf isn't even the call up if one of the 7 doesn't go because of injuries or something, from what I heard Bouwmeester is next in line should one of the d-men get injured before the Games. And if I'm Canada, you can't leave off Niedermayer, Pronger, Weber, Keith, and Seabrook. Boyle and Doughty may have been surprises though IMO.

I sure hope team USA goes young with this squad. maybe 1 older guy to lead a bit. i dont want to see a few older guys on it just cause. the team needs a new direction and they need to get some of these young guys in there this year. they could have a nice team come 4 years from now. come on team usa!!

Just for the record the game will be played on NHL dimensions.

TEAM USA

Forwards

David Backes

Dustin Brown

Ryan Callahan

Chris Drury

Patrick Kane

Ryan Kesler

Phil Kessel

Jamie Langenbrunner

Ryan Malone

Zach Parise

Joe Pavelski

Bobby Ryan

Paul Stastny

Defensemen

Erik Johnson

Jack Johnson

Mike Komisarek

Paul Martin

Brooks Orpik

Brian Rafalski

Ryan Suter

Goaltenders

Ryan Miller

Tim Thomas

Jonathan Quick

http://www.usahockey.com/Template_Usahocke...5&id=277216

TEAM USA

Forwards

David Backes

Dustin Brown

Ryan Callahan

Chris Drury

Patrick Kane

Ryan Kesler

Phil Kessel

Jamie Langenbrunner

Ryan Malone

Zach Parise

Joe Pavelski

Bobby Ryan

Paul Stastny

Defensemen

Erik Johnson

Jack Johnson

Mike Komisarek

Paul Martin

Brooks Orpik

Brian Rafalski

Ryan Suter

Goaltenders

Ryan Miller

Tim Thomas

Jonathan Quick

http://www.usahockey.com/Template_Usahocke...5&id=277216

18 players with NCAA DIVISION 1 hockey experience. 10 of them from the WCHA.

I don't know who I'd replace him with but...

I'm not too impressed with Drury. He's really fallen off the map since joining the Rangers.

I know he's known to be a leader on the ice and all, but I just don't see him as being anything more than an alternate at best given his current struggles.

I don't know who I'd replace him with but...

I'm not too impressed with Drury. He's really fallen off the map since joining the Rangers.

I know he's known to be a leader on the ice and all, but I just don't see him as being anything more than an alternate at best given his current struggles.

Drury has no business being on team USA he has sucked this season. I think KO, T.J. Oshie or Bustin B would have been a great alternative to

Drury.

Drury has no business being on team USA he has sucked this season. I think KO, T.J. Oshie or Bustin B would have been a great alternative to

Drury.

Dustin Byfuglien would be a good choice.

I obviously like TJ, and I think his game would be great in the Olympic setting too.

taxi squad rule change

article

Hockey teams won't have taxi squads for 2010 Olympics

Thursday, June 25, 2009 | Feedback | Print Entry

MONTREAL -- We found out about one interesting change in the Olympic setup for 2010. Teams will no longer have a "taxi squad" this time around.

A Team Canada source confirmed the three-man taxi squad, which made its debut at the 2006 Olympics in Torino, has been scrapped for the Vancouver Games. In Torino, teams had 23-man rosters plus a three-man taxi squad in case of injuries. For 2010, teams will be limited to 23-man rosters.

As we reported last month, the deadline for countries to name their 23-man rosters is Dec. 31. But if a player from that 23-man roster gets injured between Dec. 31 and the start of the Olympic tournament, he can still be replaced up until the eve of the first game on Feb. 16.