SiouxSports.com Forum

UNO/Manitoba

sprig

I believe it is. Don't forget, it was the U of Manitoba Bison that took the Sioux into overtime during the season that UND won its last championship.

Hey, it's an all-Canadian team. They have to be good, right? :D

I believe it is. Don't forget, it was the U of Manitoba Bison that took the Sioux into overtime during the season that UND won its last championship.

Wasn't the year UND went into overtime with manitoba the year they went to the championship and lost?

Don't forget, it was the U of Manitoba Bison that took the Sioux into overtime during the season that UND won its last championship.

Didn't remember that. See that UAA lost to a Canadian college also. Wonder if they're all 25 year olds.

When JP is a senior, will Ha**y and Dubay complain about the Sioux having 25 year old Minnesotans?

Are we to believe that their Arena is nicer than ours?

It is a very nice arena, as MavRick's pictures show. However, as a multi-purpose arena, it is difficult to compare it with REA.

It seats almost 15,000 for hockey so I'm a little surprised at the "low" attendance for the opening game, even though it was an exhibition. They have the Maverick Stampede there this weekend (with Minny, Wisco and Maine) so it will be interesting to see the attendance figures.

In addition to what Jim said as to cost, also keep in mind that it was built by a public entity. Governments tend to be inefficient in everything they do. There is no way the City of Grand Forks could have built the REA for $110 million. I have heard from a couple people who were there, that when Ralph first toured the completed building, he remarked that he couldn't believe what he got for his money.

It is a very nice arena, as MavRick's pictures show.  However, as a multi-purpose arena, it is difficult to compare it with REA.

To play devil's advocate -- REA is now also going to be multipurpose hockey/basketball :D Your points, however, were quite valid -- I definitely agree that REA has a lot of little niceties which no government could ever justify buying.

I think it is a good concept, arena and conference center. In fact, I wish REA had the seating capacity the UNO one does. I also wish they pitched the seats differently so that the standing issue wouldn't be so bad. But if wishes were nickels, I'd be a billionaire.

It is hard to tell which arena is better without going there and comparing. From a cost standpoint, though, the REA is better because we didn't exactly pay for it. The benefits for students, though, is worth investigating.

Just talked to my brother-in-law who lives in Omaha. He said that it is a great facility, but might be a bit big for hockey. I guess a lot of the people feel the same as he does.

Their AD said they would rather have empty seats and the new building than the old building.

I understand where he is coming from, but will be interesting to see how well the building does.

Regardless it is a great facility.