SiouxSports.com Forum

Remember Radio

kr

Tonight CB will be on 1440 with Tim and Swyg. Broadcast schedule includes CB and Coach Dale Lennon and starts at 6:30 pm, not sure who is first up.

On Wednesday's Andy Schneider is (similar to last season) on with Swyg and Tim on 1440, around 8:45 am. If you're in the area and able to tune in. The interview(s) are fun. Today's topics included: the fight, iron man, captain. Pretty darn funny.

Tonight CB will be on 1440 with Tim and Swyg. Broadcast schedule includes CB and Coach Dale Lennon and starts at 6:30 pm, not sure who is first up.

On Wednesday's Andy Schneider is (similar to last season) on with Swyg and Tim on 1440, around 8:45 am. If you're in the area and able to tune in. The interview(s) are fun. Today's topics included: the fight, iron man, captain. Pretty darn funny.

You gave us just a teaser! We DEMAND a transcript.

Schneider was honored to be named the captain. Knows all the former great players to wear the "C" and you could tell he really felt good about it.

Talked about how he played in hockey with Peluso and how Peluso had kicked the crap out of a lot of people so he was a little concerned when Prpich and him squared off. Definitely thought Prpich won the fight. He thought the fight was a big turnaround for the Sioux, got them into the game more and really gave them a push.

Thought Parise played very well in goal and that he really made a lot of key saves that kept them in the game.

Thanks CRR that summarized the interview. A couple weeks ago Tim and Swyg talked about the posting of radio interview talk. It seems that last year after one of the coaches shows something which was posted (it was not a direct quote, and which I don't believe was posted to be read as a direct quote) was turned over to a higher authority in the college hockey world. Tim had to turn in an affidavit -- in addition this entity wanted an audio copy of the show. It was blown totally out of proportion. Hence I probably won't post as much regarding radio interviews, particularily with players -- since what is posted is being viewed as direct quotes, not a summary -- at best such posts end up as bulletin material on a locker room wall or internet site, and at worst result in requests for an affidavit.

Any one who heard Andy's interview this morning heard a good interview, it was witty and informative. The team picked a good captain.

It seems that last year after one of the coaches shows something which was posted (it was not a direct quote, and which I don't believe was posted to be read as a direct quote) was turned over...

So much for "nobody pays attention to those stupid message boards"... :)

PCM -- They didn't say what matter it regarded. Can they really say anthing anymore? Hippa, spies from the east, NCAA rules & regulations ..... where does it end? :)

Also, just an FYI totally off hockey, but a radio item: this afternoon on KNOX 1310 after 3pm Dakota Husby (sp?) will have someone from PETA on the radio -- should be interesting -- the promo bit indicated that someone identifying themself as a PETA person sent Roy Horn (Seigfeild & Roy) a letter something to the effect that he got what he deserved!?!?!?! (that isn't the person to be interviewed, but it still makes you wonder)

(whoops, that'd be SIEGFRIED & Roy -- not too hip to the LV entertainment scene)

PCM -- They didn't say what matter it regarded. Can they really say anthing anymore? Hippa, spies from the east, NCAA rules & regulations ..... where does it end? :0

It's all the fault of the Lawyers. :D I say we get rid of the attorneys on the message boards. Scott & kr, you're outta here. ;)

It's all the fault of the Lawyers. :D I say we get rid of the attorneys on the message boards. Scott & kr, you're outta here. ;)

We (collectively speaking for attorneys here) have a job to do .... we might spin it but it's the jury's and/or judges' job to weigh and determine how relevant/worthy the argument is ..... everyone knows that a lawyer only lies when his/her mouth is moving, so it amazes me that reasonable and prudent people believe us at all!!! :0;)

Hey, isn't schmidtdoggydog a legal beagle too?

By summarizing something, I don't think that is doing too much harm.

You wouldn't think so. But last season, someone lifted a paraphrased comment out of a UND coaches show summary and posted it on another fan site's message board as if it were a direct quote from a Sioux coach. (Could this be the cause of the problem "kr" described?)

There's no way to stop someone from taking words out of context, presenting them as something they're not or spinning them to mean something other than what was intended.

I realize that Sioux fans who don't get to hear the UND coaches show value the summaries that I and others post here. But when I read about the problems it can cause, I really have to wonder if it's a good idea.

I don't want to cause legal problems for the team or the coaches, nor do I want legal problems for myself as a result of something I post here. It's just crazy. It really is. :D

I don't agree with the whole fighting mentality. It isn't tolerated in other sports, so why should it be tolerated in hockey? The players have to set a better example for the kids. Fighting is nothing more than a display of poor sportsmanship. I don't care who "won" the fight, they're both wrong for participating in it.

That is certainly one viewpoint, but it isn't the tradition of the game. This game is physical. Admittedly, the physical aspects are an American addition to the game. The game being designed in Canada and the best stick handling and technical hockey players generally (not exclusively) being European.

I think every fight and penalty is viewed with scrutiny. Especially in the professional ranks. Stuff like McSorley's incident is very much uncalled for and poor sportsmanship. However, when you are down and out and need to light the fire, there is nothing more stimulating to the game and the fans in attendence than a good scrum. Especially if you are the home team that is down and out.

I believe that fights need to be controlled more, that much is true. I also believe that there needs to be the end of the Enforcer position. If you cannot contribute in any other way than physical game and fighting, then you don't belong in professional hockey. So good bye Scott Parker, Tie Domi, Peter Worrell. If you don't contribute offensively, you shouldnt play. If you do, then a scrum now and then isnt bad. Examples of players who do fight and get things done offensively are: Darren McCarty, Martin Lapointe, Scott Stevens, Chris Pronger, and Adam Foote, just to name a few.

Eliminating Fights will, believe it or not, eliminate a certain percentage of crowd participation in terms of cheering and chanting (some settings). They shouldnt go out just to start a fight, but if one happens, it should be treated in context.

Almost forgot!

The Saturday night hockey and football games are resulting in a radio conflict. The last I heard hockey will be on Kool 100.3 fm while the football will be on Fox 96.1 fm --- they'll probably mention it again during tonight's coaches show.

Maybe someone knows the answer(s) to some recruiting question(s) I have. In Jim's link to the previous thread Nathan's post mentioned that (MN) coaches when asked about potential recruits, have to respond with something like -- they can't talk about a recruit until a letter of intent is signed. When can a letter of intent be signed? The reason I ask is because Peter Mueller, age 15, recently gave his verbal to MN. In the Trib article it mentions that his family looked at, among many others, UND. http://www.startribune.com/stories/503/4131019.html It's mentioned that Lucia cannot discuss Peter M. until he signs a letter of intent, even though he has given a verbal committment to Lucia/UMN. When can other schools contact Peter M., if they'd want to try to dissuade him from the UMN; can another school even do that (I'm not talking ethics of trying to poach another school's recruit -- ala Parise) -- What about a player that college hockey has realistically missed out on? i.e. Since Sydney Crosby is playing up north can he be discussed by US college coaches? Couldn't he (technically speaking) quit hockey up there and sit out a certain amount of time (probably not a realistic situation, but it COULD happen) and play for a US college?

Any one have any idea if CB and staff are following the trend to look at younger players? Besides Crosby and one or two others I didn't think the staff was looking at too many younger players .......

I realize that Sioux fans who don't get to hear the UND coaches show value the summaries that I and others post here. But when I read about the problems it can cause, I really have to wonder if it's a good idea.

I don't want to cause legal problems for the team or the coaches, nor do I want legal problems for myself as a result of something I post here. It's just crazy. It really is. :D

This is an unfortunate situation. Given your access to the team, PCM, as more or less a beat writer, it's understandable if you would just as soon not post the show summaries given the circumstances. However, there's a bit of a "blame the messenger" undertone here. After going back to the thread and looking at Blais' response to the caller, and the NCAA rule, I think Blais was too candid, even though he was probably within the rules. Any legal hand-wringing that resulted was self-inflicted, in my opinion.

Here's hoping that someone will be willing to take the time and share this information going forward. I'm not in listening range, or I'd be more than willing.

I think players can sign with a school as soon as they are ready (probably with a parents permission), but schools cannot contact players under a certain age...16? I'm not exactly sure what the recruiting rules are, but I'm sure that in the Mueller case, it was he who contacted the school, and not the other way around.

However, there's a bit of a "blame the messenger" undertone here. After going back to the thread and looking at Blais' response to the caller, and the NCAA rule, I think Blais was too candid, even though he was probably within the rules. Any legal hand-wringing that resulted was self-inflicted, in my opinion.

I agree. I have had people tell me that I shouldn't post certain things that Blais says during the coaches show. But who am I? The babysitter? How can I possibly know everything that's going to cause problems for him?

Usually, you don't know that something is controversial until after the fact. And that often happens when comments are taken and used out of context. I can't stop that from happening.

It's not up to me to prevent the coaches from saying things that might get them in trouble. After all, Grand Forks is right on the border with Minnesota and I'm sure the coaches show can be heard by more than a few fans of Minnesota teams.

I had no idea. What makes you so sure this is the case? (beyond Jason Notermann's dad)...

It is most definitely the case. Have you ever noticed how many "guests" are reading this board? There are many people who read the messages here who don't register or participate. I know from the e-mails I receive from Sioux parents that many of them read this board. We've also had parents chime in from time to time with comments. Never think that what's posted here stays here. It doesn't.