SiouxSports.com Forum

Parise and Future 15 of NHL

Fedorov

My opinion is that Zach will be a great player in the NHL. IF he stays in school for whole 4 years.

I'm not saying that Zach should stay in school for 4 years because I'm a Sioux fan and want to see him play. I'm saying that because in any major sport you see kids go to college for one or two years and then they go into the pros with expectations of the world on their shoulders and they blow their chance because they weren't ready. With the few exceptions of Kevin Garnett and Kobe Bryant you don't see to many young prospects out of high school or one year of college make noise.

Every major sports league should follow the NFL and make a set minimum age in when you can enter for the draft. The NFL is doing Maurice Clarett a favor by not letting him enter the draft. Clarett would get crushed in the NFL because he's not physically, mentally, or emotionally ready for it.

Don't go Zach!!!

Shock? That doesn't cover it. I went in expecting to have an article saying that Zach was overrated and had far too much pomp and circumstance. I read the article and I agree with it and then I read the top 15... twice. Where is Thomas Vanek?

No, I'm not being derisive, I actually truly want to know? He has the talent and the ability. True, he's not American by birth, but still... I would have expected him on the list if not Eric Staal, who went just before him.

To set an age limit is ridiculous. Look at guys like Kovlachuk, Lemiuex, Gretzky or in a few years Sydney Crosby, who are just incredible talents. Why shouldn't they be allowed to play in the NHL if they have the talent?

True, but the vast majority of athletes aren't blessed with superstar talents. An age restriction policy would be protecting the futures of players who may not be ready for the pros, despite what their egos or their poor mothers' needs for a new home may say. For every young guy who leaves early & is a success, there are probably 2, 3 or more similar youngins who aren't. I would have nothing against age restrictions, esp. in hockey :)

Every major sports league should follow the NFL and make a set minimum age in when you can enter for the draft. The NFL is doing Maurice Clarett a favor by not letting him enter the draft. Clarett would get crushed in the NFL because he's not physically, mentally, or emotionally ready for it.

Just like Clinton Portis, right? Look at the year he had last year and tell me he should've stayed at Miami another 2 years. Clarett will be just as good IMO.

But, this is a hockey forum. Look at all the great players that would be too young by NFL standards (or were when they came into the league) Gaborik, drafted when he was 18-19 I believe, Heatly has been in the NHL for 2 years and he is MY age (22). Gretzky and Lemieux were in the NHL at around 19 or so (I might wrong, I'm pretty sure Gretzky started professionally at 17). Age limit is not needed in hockey. There's a good reason for it in football, I challenge you to find me one in hockey.

As for Vanek and the F word, you learn the most versatile of the words first. Therefore, the two words he needs to learn are the F word and "Dude." You can have entire conversations with those two words.

As for Parise, they need to be careful. They may be setting him up for "failure" meaning anything that doesn't fit their expectations. Kinda like the Cubs supposedly sweeping the Marlins.

Shock?  That doesn't cover it.  I went in expecting to have an article saying that Zach was overrated and had far too much pomp and circumstance.  I read the article and I agree with it and then I read the top 15... twice.  Where is Thomas Vanek? 

No that was what the Gopher fans said when they tried to minimize not getting Zack on their team, just like they did with Bochenski, plus retards like Happy went around saying he wasn't any good because he got all of his points against cup cakes like Canisus.