SiouxSports.com Forum

UND vs Minnesota ?

UNDHockeyUSA

Say what you will, but Slap Shot is right when he said that we like our program and Minny likes theirs better.

It would be ridiculous to sit here and say that, as a Sioux fan, "Hey, I love the Sioux but gosh darn it... I love the Gophers and their fans more."

Could you imagine Slap Shot saying "I really enjoy Sioux hockey and their fans more than I've ever enjoyed life among the fans and students of Minnesota." I can't.

We're rivals/archrivals perhaps. I can't see tOSU football fans being fans of Michigan and vice versa. I can't see Red Wings fans loving Avalanche hockey (I find it hard even when an Av win would help the Wings).

The question itself is stupid. And yeah, there ARE such things as stupid questions.

If you want to come here and talk smack...

Exsqueeze me? To date in threads regarding this series I have complimented your program, I have complimented your players and I have complimented your win. However, if objecting to someone calling the entire UM roster selfish cowards = smack talk then the definition of the word needs to be changed. Yes, I did have the audacity to say we like our program too so for that please forgive me kind sir.

Now I remember why I had you on ignore in the first place. Next time I'll not make the mistake of revealing what you write.

I have a question regarding both UND and Minnesota hockey programs. There's no denying when it comes to developing good hockey players Minnesota ranks up there with the best of them. I have a buddy that lives in Minnesota and we go back and forth all the time on which program is better and why.

My argument is we have more championships at UND, and his argument is we have to import players to compete and win championships. He said he'd rather have a good team with all Minnesota kids versus bringing in kids from all over North America.

Then I asked him if Minnesota fans are so devoted why can't they sell out Xcel at tourney time to support the Gophers? When it comes to numbers Minnesota has more people.

This is his response please let know what you think..............................

He said that there's too many things to do in Minnesota with Wild, Timberwolves, Vikings, five DI hockey schools, skiing, ice fishing, ect......... Too many choices and people can only afford so much. Then he goes as far as saying Grand Forks is just like Green Bay in the fact there's nothing else to do in Grand Forks in the winter.

Is this a valid response?

Why don't the Gophers do that in other sports if they only want hometown players, i don't see them doing that in basketball or football. Lets see the Gophers win a Bowl game with Mertens as their QB. :huh:

i heard from a friend at wdaz that a fight broke out last night between to fans and one is in a comma. they were 34 and 28 years old not sure which one is which fan

Thats a shame that stuff like that has to happen. :silly: Why can't fans just leave their differences at the arena. Hope the guy comes out of it all right.

Thats a shame that stuff like that has to happen. :silly: Why can't fans just leave their differences at the arena. Hope the guy comes out of it all right.

We all like our teams, but in the end it's a game...no reason to hurt anybody or get hurt over it. It's too bad stuff like this happens.

i heard from a friend at wdaz that a fight broke out last night between to fans and one is in a comma. they were 34 and 28 years old not sure which one is which fan

Dirty posted over on USCHO that as he was leaving the Ralph he saw someone spread eagle and out cold on the sidewalk. Commented that it looked like the result of a fight....

Exsqueeze me? To date in threads regarding this series I have complimented your program, I have complimented your players and I have complimented your win. However, if objecting to someone calling the entire UM roster selfish cowards = smack talk then the definition of the word needs to be changed. Yes, I did have the audacity to say we like our program too so for that please forgive me kind sir.

Now I remember why I had you on ignore in the first place. Next time I'll not make the mistake of revealing what you write.

Thanks for the halo, nowhere did anyone call the gophers cowards except for you. Here's your dunce cap. Any cowards get winnowed out in Bantam A. Like you'd ever know that.

My family came upon that after the game. Mr. Siouxmama said it wasnt good, by the looks of the guy laid out on the sidewalk. Wont be surprised to pick up the newspaper tomorrow and see that it was very serious.

Scares me to think of Joel L. That was very close to 2 (?) years ago?

Wow. Why can't fans just jeer one another in fun? It's a sporting event people. If you want to fight, join the military. Obama's looking to send some people to Afghanistan. Hope everything turns out for the best for the injured fan, whichever fan base he follows.

Now that's just disgusting. We really need much more severe prison sentences for people who physically assault other people. I hope the injured fan survives and the other one gets the book thrown at him, and it makes no difference who was cheering for what team. It's sad to say that this particular rivalry brings out the worst behavior in fans on both sides. It makes me almost ashamed to say that I support either team when in fact I support both of them.

I'm not ashamed to say I support my team. No members of either team had anything to do with the incident. It is disappointing that this kind of crap happens in sports, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't only happen in Sioux/Gopher games. But it's sad when grown adults think they have to settle something like they're back in the school yard, rather than just realizing you support a rival team.

Who the hell gets into a fight over a sporting event? That is ridiculous, the person that did it will probably be charged with a felony assault.

Some prison time might be in order as well.

Grand Forks man is in serious condition in the intensive care unit at Altru, and an Oslo man is facing charges after a fight over the UND-Minnesota hockey game Friday night.

Police say 28 year old Peter Chwialkowski hit 34 year old Jason Smith of Grand Forks. Chwialkowski faces an aggravated assault charge.

The fight happened outside the Ralph Engelstad Arena right after the hockey game Friday night. Police say the two were fighting about the rivalry.

Duane Czapiewski, the UND Police Chief, says,

Heresay, from someone that knows Jason Smith, the GF man in serious condition:

In Altru, in a coma. Said he was hit from behind, in the side of the head, then fell to the ground, hitting his head on the concrete.

This is NOT GOOD. It's a game people, what on earth makes a person think that fighting is warranted? Well, other than alcohol.

Heresay, from someone that knows Jason Smith, the GF man in serious condition:

In Altru, in a coma. Said he was hit from behind, in the side of the head, then fell to the ground, hitting his head on the concrete.

This is NOT GOOD. It's a game people, what on earth makes a person think that fighting is warranted? Well, other than alcohol.

By that one could conclude that it was NOT a fight.

I didn't mean that I was ashamed of the teams, just that I was ashamed to admit that I'm a part of either fanbase when members of both fanbases make jackasses out of themselves. But you're right, it happens with pretty much every big sports rivalry. I can only imagine the kind of behavior that goes on at Yankees/Red Sox games.

I'm ashamed when someone tries to pick a fight with the other teams coach at a PeeWee game.