SiouxSports.com Forum

2009/2010 Season

4siouxnow

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sioux women capture Great West basketball title

UND won the inauguaral Great West Conference women's basketball regular-season title outright Thursday night with an 80-66 win against Houston Baptist at the Betty Engelstad Sioux Center.

UND improved to 10-1 in the Great West and 15-13 overall. The Sioux also have won nine in a row.

Congrats!! Nice year, ladies.

I don't think UND women's BB gets the attention, or respect, it deserves. What they've done with only EIGHT players this year is extraordinary. Any chance of getting an NIT bid if they win out and cruise through the conference tournament?

Just curious what your reasoning is considering Sioux would be both reg. season and conf. champions of a d-1 conference, and would have completed a winning streak of 10+ games?

Our RPI is around 200. I haven't looked closely, but I'm assuming there will be a lot more than 32 teams who don't get an NCAA bid who have winning records and a much higher RPI than UND.

Just curious what your reasoning is considering Sioux would be both reg. season and conf. champions of a d-1 conference, and would have completed a winning streak of 10+ games?

My reasoning is that we aren't any good. We're 10-1 in easily the worst conference in DI women's bball. A 10 game win streak in this league is nothing to brag about. Get the conf. tourney over, find players, and get us in a conference with some teams that are decent so we can have some rivalry's again. This season will NOT end.

Aren't you being a negative nelly Coach Daddy, Sorry to tell you this but even though this may be the worst confence in D1, I'm glad that we are out of D2, I now realize how bad that brand of basketball really was. It was terrible, and we were the best of terrible. These players have done a good job, and had they been juniors & seniors when we were still in the NCC, we would stomped everyone with these players too (some of them played as underclassmen) I honestly don't think any of our previous teams from years ago would have had anymore success than this current team now, in this situation. Because of that, I say way to go ladies! You've worked your tails off and were able to accomplish the only goal that was realistically available, and you did it emphatically. I'm not going to diminish what these players have done and sacrificed. I'm just going to congratulate them and move on. I want into a different conference in the worst way but I'm proud of these girls just as I was of our first national title team.

My reasoning is that we aren't any good. We're 10-1 in easily the worst conference in DI women's bball. A 10 game win streak in this league is nothing to brag about. Get the conf. tourney over, find players, and get us in a conference with some teams that are decent so we can have some rivalry's again. This season will NOT end.

Considering the injuries they dealt with, the eligibility issue of the true center we thought we had, and some of the defections, all Sioux fans should be very proud of what this team has accomplished. A 200 RPI is actually quite an accomplishment for a transition team.

Considering the injuries they dealt with, the eligibility issue of the true center we thought we had, and some of the defections, all Sioux fans should be very proud of what this team has accomplished. A 200 RPI is actually quite an accomplishment for a transition team.

I completely agree; a very nice job by Coach Roebuck and the team. They need to be commended.

Aren't you being a negative nelly Coach Daddy, Sorry to tell you this but even though this may be the worst confence in D1, I'm glad that we are out of D2, I now realize how bad that brand of basketball really was. It was terrible, and we were the best of terrible. These players have done a good job, and had they been juniors & seniors when we were still in the NCC, we would stomped everyone with these players too (some of them played as underclassmen) I honestly don't think any of our previous teams from years ago would have had anymore success than this current team now, in this situation. Because of that, I say way to go ladies! You've worked your tails off and were able to accomplish the only goal that was realistically available, and you did it emphatically. I'm not going to diminish what these players have done and sacrificed. I'm just going to congratulate them and move on. I want into a different conference in the worst way but I'm proud of these girls just as I was of our first national title team.

I apologize for the negativism; just the mood I'm in that day. However, you can NOT compare this team to the team that won 3 National Titles. That team would have beat this team by 50. Think of the Crouse's, Winger's, Richards, Pudenz', etc. and compare them to the talent we have now!!! Seriously, not even close.

Go back to the early 90's with Kleinsasser, Pudenz, Walters, Smirl, Deutsch, etc. Those teams would have hammered this bunch also. Again, not close.

I'm proud of how this group with 8 players has persevered and played on through all they've put up with. After the home loss to USD it would have been easy to pack it in and play out the string but they didn't. That's a tribute to the girls, the coaches, and everyone associated with the team. That being said, this is an average team compared to what we've had in the past. No one can argue that.

The only reason those teams appeared to be so good, was because the played so many inferior d2 teams and a few NAIA schools on their schedule. This team would have done the same thing this year and last year if they could have played those schedules, even in their championship years.

Don't agree with that at all. In women's basketball, the old NCC was at least a low-level DI competition and in some years higher. Great West basketball is inferior to what UND competed with in the NCC (both men and women).

During UND's championship years, UND was rated as high as 30 and usually above 50in the Massey all-divisions ratings. Even in the last years of the NCC, UND was typically around 100. Those championships teams could possibly have won a first round DI tournament game.

The upper few power teams of women's D2 basketball is almost always historically within the top 100 of Massey. There is normally a much wider discrepancy between men's DI and DII then between women's DI and DII (although this year appears to be unusual as there aren't any DII women's teams that can compete at a top 100 level in DI)

Don't agree with that at all. In women's basketball, the old NCC was at least a low-level DI competition and in some years higher. Great West basketball is inferior to what UND competed with in the NCC (both men and women).

During UND's championship years, UND was rated as high as 30 and usually above 50in the Massey all-divisions ratings. Even in the last years of the NCC, UND was typically around 100. Those championships teams could possibly have won a first round DI tournament game.

The upper few power teams of women's D2 basketball is almost always historically within the top 100 of Massey. There is normally a much wider discrepancy between men's DI and DII then between women's DI and DII (although this year appears to be unusual as there aren't any DII women's teams that can compete at a top 100 level in DI)

Congrats to the ladies on salvaging a +.500 season after a rough start, injuries, and quitters to make a run to win the first DI Conference Title they could have won - and they did! That IS a nice accompishment because it was the highest thing they had to shoot for and they got it! (The UTPA game was a nice HOME victory lap for Kayla, Jossy, Whitney and Alys - They all kicked *SS! THANKS LADIES!)

Next year is going to be the REAL CHALLENGE because we return 1 regular starte?....ohboy...

Massey, Smassy, is what I say. Hey I've been following these programs long before Coach Roebuck was coaching the reality is I think we would all like to believe that the NCC was that much better of a conference back then, but I'm not so sure. The same thing that plagues d2 basketball today, lack of speed, athleticism, and size with those attributes, probably plagued it back then we just refused to look at that way, and still refuse to. It's not like it demeans our National Titles any. Let's face it our 1st national championship was the direct result of having a 6'4 post player who had some athleticism. Heck even Northwestern had 2 of those last year. For as good as NDSU, SDSU & UND were-- Mankato, yes USD, Omaha, & N. Colorado were putrid during those years. I just think that some the players on this team would have been just fine on those teams if not more successful. Hey Richards & Jaime Pudenz are my alltime favorite players, but I don't think for a second that they would have accomplished that much more if they had been playing the last 2 years against the competition the Sioux now face.

Massey, Smassy, is what I say. Hey I've been following these programs long before Coach Roebuck was coaching the reality is I think we would all like to believe that the NCC was that much better of a conference back then, but I'm not so sure. The same thing that plagues d2 basketball today, lack of speed, athleticism, and size with those attributes, probably plagued it back then we just refused to look at that way, and still refuse to. It's not like it demeans our National Titles any. Let's face it our 1st national championship was the direct result of having a 6'4 post player who had some athleticism. Heck even Northwestern had 2 of those last year. For as good as NDSU, SDSU & UND were-- Mankato, yes USD, Omaha, & N. Colorado were putrid during those years. I just think that some the players on this team would have been just fine on those teams if not more successful. Hey Richards & Jaime Pudenz are my alltime favorite players, but I don't think for a second that they would have accomplished that much more if they had been playing the last 2 years against the competition the Sioux now face.

Women's basketball has evolved in the past 15 years too: it's faster and more athletic. DI schools are placing more emphasis on it, girls are going to more camps, the recruiting is more thorough. The UND championship teams would have been DI tournament caliber (40-50 type seed). Those teams actually beat PAC10 quality teams then. That wouldn't have happened this year.

I'm in no way minimizing what this team has accomplished, as the adversity they've overcome is something all Sioux fans should be very proud of . The team character is wonderful and I'm thankful there were in Sioux uniforms.