SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux Texas Tech game

sultan

Slippery Slope Alert!

Please note the author admits this is dangerous use of associative logic.

TT beat UND by 25 in Lubbock.

UT beat TT by 10 in Austin.

Allowing for 3 point home field advantage (pretty standard) ...

TT beats UND by 22 on a neutral site.

UT beats TT by 7 on a neutral site.

UT beats UND by 29 on a neutral site?

This ends your Slippery Slope Alert.

Please return to normal speculations. ;)

Slippery Slope Alert!

Please note the author admits this is dangerous use of associative logic.

TT beat UND by 25 in Lubbock.

UT beat TT by 10 in Austin.

Allowing for 3 point home field advantage (pretty standard) ...

TT beats UND by 22 on a neutral site.

UT beats TT by 7 on a neutral site.

UT beats UND by 29 on a neutral site?

This ends your Slippery Slope Alert.

Please return to normal speculations. :huh:

Ok.....ok.....I got one........but what if we played them at HOME?........huh?.......huh?....... ;)

I think Tech and UND are alike in one sense. We are both moving into a tougher arena.

Tech has always been a small school playing against the big boys - Texas, A&M, OU, Arkansas, Nebraska, etc - all huge 'land grant' schools. Until 10-12 years ago, Tech was basically just cannon fodder for these big schools year after year. Then Coach Leach came along and we started winning more because of his offense. Then better players started coming to Tech. Then we won more. Then we started getting more donations to the athletic department. We enlarged our stadium and improved facilities. We started giving the big boys a run for their money every year. Now Tech is the only Big 12 school to have a winning season and a bowl game every year since the conference formed. You see how it goes. Our athletic budget is still just a fraction of UT's, but we're getting more out of less. Oh, I should add that we have the highest football graduation rate among Div I schools in the nation. UT graduates right at 50%.

Then last year, we had our best year ever. You ought to see how our recruiting classes have improved. We've got QBs and receivers and RBs turning down offers from Florida and Notre Dame to come to Tech. Next year's class is almost full already and for the first time ever we're ranked in the top 20 in that department. We're still fighting against teams with more talent from top to bottom, but I think we've learned how to win and the players believe in themselves. We no longer go back to mediocre just because a few good players graduate, and that is alarming the heck out of the big boys. It's a great time to be a Tech fan. And just wait until those longhorns come to Lubbock next year with Potts as a senior. I can't wait.

I think you guys are in the same boat. The new division is more challenging, but the coaches and players seem to be up to the task. I bet your recruiting goes up immediately just because of the increased exposure. Then you win more, then you get more donations and sponsors, etc, etc, etc. Pretty soon, I bet the Bisons won't want to schedule you anymore. ;) It only took us about 10 years and UT is nervous about us for the first time ever.

The "Bisons" don't want to play us now. We have beaten them 10 of the last 13 games and they missed an oportunity the last couple of years when they would have had an advantage. They were the league doormat until the mid 1960's when they won their first national titles and were a national power in the 1980's. Since the early 1990's UND has had the advantage. Both schools should have moved up in the 1970's to D1AA with the Montana schools and Northern Iowa etc. UND made another mistake when they didn't move when the Bisons did and couldn't play them in FB during the early Bisons transition years because it would have hurt them in the D2 rankings. The Bisons didn't forgive nor forget so they won't play us until either the state political pressure is such that they resume play or if both schools end up in the same conference. They will not likely help UND be accepted into their conference.

As schools, UND had the upper hand until the growth of Fargo /West Fargo became such that the kids who stay local put them over the top as far as enrollment. For the first time they have a size advantage. UND lost ground with the flood of 1997 but with the size of Fargo /West Fargo it was a matter of time. Good post from Texas Tech (the alma mater of Donnie Anderson who played RB and occasionally LB before being drafted by the Packers in the late 1960's).