SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux vs Northwestern State

GeauxSioux

I think it is a very good thing that we have this week off. Having played so well in Lubbock, a let down wouldn't be too surprising if we played again right away. Northwestern State got thumped but they are an established FCS team who had a winning record last year. This will be a difficult game for us to win!

If UND plays well, I think this is a winnable game. I would compare this to the SE Louisiana game last year in terms of the caliber of opponent. NW St. has a new coach (from LSU) and a lot FBS transfers, but clearly UND has already played against better team speed. And if the Texas Tech o-line couldn't move the UND d-line, I certainly would expect us to more than hold our own up front.

I think it is a very good thing that we have this week off. Having played so well in Lubbock, a let down wouldn't be too surprising if we played again right away. Northwestern State got thumped but they are an established FCS team who had a winning record last year. This will be a difficult game for us to win!

Agree the break is a very good thing, especially with no home game. However, can we really expect Landry to have a no turnover game again? The lack of skilled offensive players is also a concern.

Agree the break is a very good thing, especially with no home game. However, can we really expect Landry to have a no turnover game again? The lack of skilled offensive players is also a concern.

I'm actually a little more optimistic about the talent level on offense than I was prior to the TT game. I think Landry has a chance to be quite good, particularly playing against FCS teams that probably won't be able to produce as much of a pass rush as TT did, and I have a feeling that Sutton is going to be the next great UND back. Not that I'm expecting him to put up better numbers than Murray did last year, but he was far more heralded coming out of high school than was Murray, and has been impressive in practice from what I've heard. If Bamba can improve at all on his late season performance from 2008, we could be in pretty good shape in terms of having playmakers. It will be interesting to see if Davis gets into the mix, particularly as a receiving threat out of the backfield. Finally, I think we may see Goska get some playing time, which provides a whole different dimension at quarterback (a Zach Miller type, perhaps?).

I still have a great deal of concern about UND's offense. Yes, they did a nice job of not making mistakes and getting a few first downs against Texas Tech, but it will take more than that to win some of these FCS games. Landry is solid, but the offensive line still has a lot of work to do and they must find a big play receiver or two. I know everyone talks about the speed and potential of Anderson and Bamba but until they start to actually make some big plays the jury is still out, IMO.

NSU lost yesterday because Grambling's defense scored three touchdowns and NSU has generally been mistake prone this year. They do have a big time back in Nebraska transfer Quentin Castille, but hopefully UND's defense is strong against the run and can force them into mistakes. This is a very winnable game for UND if the Sioux can get the offense going.

I still have a great deal of concern about UND's offense. Yes, they did a nice job of not making mistakes and getting a few first downs against Texas Tech, but it will take more than that to win some of these FCS games. Landry is solid, but the offensive line still has a lot of work to do and they must find a big play receiver or two. I know everyone talks about the speed and potential of Anderson and Bamba but until they start to actually make some big plays the jury is still out, IMO.

NSU lost yesterday because Grambling's defense scored three touchdowns and NSU has generally been mistake prone this year. They do have a big time back in Nebraska transfer Quentin Castille, but hopefully UND's defense is strong against the run and can force them into mistakes. This is a very winnable game for UND if the Sioux can get the offense going.

I like the matchup for UND on defense, particularly if NW St. doesn't make a QB change. From reading posts from their own fans, their QB was brutal yesterday. And if TT couldn't run the ball against the Sioux, I just can't see NW St. having a lot of success on the ground.

I agree that the jury is still very much out on the UND offense, but in fairness Bamba has produced and made big plays in the limited opportunities he's had in his brief career. With Konrath now out, Bamba will really need to step up and play to his talent level on a consistent basis. Also, my understanding is that Davis is supposed to be a good receiver out of the backfield. Might we see him more as a receiver if he's not going to beat out Solum and/or Sutton at RB?

I like the matchup for UND on defense, particularly if NW St. doesn't make a QB change. From reading posts from their own fans, their QB was brutal yesterday. And if TT couldn't run the ball against the Sioux, I just can't see NW St. having a lot of success on the ground.

I agree that the jury is still very much out on the UND offense, but in fairness Bamba has produced and made big plays in the limited opportunities he's had in his brief career. With Konrath now out, Bamba will really need to step up and play to his talent level on a consistent basis. Also, my understanding is that Davis is supposed to be a good receiver out of the backfield. Might we see him more as a receiver if he's not going to beat out Solum and/or Sutton at RB?

Northwestern State seems to have been going through all kinds of adjustments and turmoil: a number of FBS transfers attempting to work themselves into the system, their QB lost a relative the day before, and several of their players had swine flu last week. They likely won't be the same team next week. Better to face them now, rather than later in the season.

Northwestern State seems to have been going through all kinds of adjustments and turmoil: a number of FBS transfers attempting to work themselves into the system, their QB lost a relative the day before, and several of their players had swine flu last week. They likely won't be the same team next week. Better to face them now, rather than later in the season.

I think weather (rain) was an issue yesterday too. Obviously it affects both teams, but depending upon the style of offense it can affect some teams more than others. I'm sure they'll also play better this Saturday because it's their home opener. But IMO this is absolutely a game UND can and probably should win.

I think weather (rain) was an issue yesterday too. Obviously it affects both teams, but depending upon the style of offense it can affect some teams more than others. I'm sure they'll also play better this Saturday because it's their home opener. But IMO this is absolutely a game UND can and probably should win.

My thinking is that UND needs to win 2 of its next 3 (NSU, Stephen F. Austin, USD) to have a good shot at a winning season. UC Davis, Cal Poly, and Central Arkansas should be the three best FCS teams the Sioux play and they cannot go into that stretch of the season with a .500 (or below) record. The extra week of practice should help with offensive continuity and hopefully the success at TTU has bolstered team confidence.

I'm pulling for the Sioux. Y'all made a fan out of me by the way you played in Lubbock.

Realistically, it's hard to say how much to make out of your D shutting down the Tech running game. Rice did the same thing to us in our last game and they are nowhere near the team they were last year. We have a stable full of new RBs to go with Batch the starter, but they haven't had many carries at all this year. I'm hoping we have been holding back in that department until this week's game against Texas. If not, we're in for a long night. Potts did stop his interception habit and threw 7 TDs against Rice, so that makes your pass D look pretty good. Tech v Texas is the prime time game Saturday night on ABC if you want to watch. We have to go to their house this year and they want revenge like you wouldn't believe. We can use all the good karma you can spare. :D

Here's hoping you lick some NSU butt this week.

I'm pulling for the Sioux. Y'all made a fan out of me by the way you played in Lubbock.

Realistically, it's hard to say how much to make out of your D shutting down the Tech running game. Rice did the same thing to us in our last game and they are nowhere near the team they were last year. We have a stable full of new RBs to go with Batch the starter, but they haven't had many carries at all this year. I'm hoping we have been holding back in that department until this week's game against Texas. If not, we're in for a long night. Potts did stop his interception habit and threw 7 TDs against Rice, so that makes your pass D look pretty good. Tech v Texas is the prime time game Saturday night on ABC if you want to watch. We have to go to their house this year and they want revenge like you wouldn't believe. We can use all the good karma you can spare. :D

I'll be watching and probably most of us here, hope you guys beat Texas, Best of luck to ya.

Our game will be televised in the ND area on Saturday, but i will for sure be flicking back and forth to the Texas Tech game. Beat Texas!

I'm pumped to be able to watch this one on the FSSN! Good job picking up the feed on this one.

GO SIOUX! BEAT NORTHWESTERN STATE!

Is this game going to be on FSSN?

The game notes did not imply it would be.

I realize the FSSN schedule showed it was going to be on here.

The game notes only talked about the home games which are going to be on FSSN.

Unfortunately, Midco is only televising in GF. Just got at response to my inquiry about televising in Bismarck. Looks like we get USD/Drake.

Thank you for contacting Midcontinent Communications.

Unfortunately the UND game will not be on the Bismarck Midcontinent channel. Please check our website for future game schedules.

Midcontinent Communications