SiouxSports.com Forum

Losing Season

TheFarce

It is one thing to watch your team have a bad season, but to hope for it is another. I never thought that I would see the day that I would wish for the Sioux to have a poor team, but after looking at the post on the Engelstad ticket site I long for the days when you could hear a pin drop at the Old Engelstad. It was those games that brought out the the real fans (as opposed to the status qou of the Grand Shities!) I am seeing higher ticket prices asked for games then for the Minnesota Wild's first playoff run. It is absolutely ridiculous! Last year I purchased tickets from a Gopher fan for the NCAA tournement at face value! He had mentioned that he appreciates the fan support and following that the Sioux have and was happy to know that the tickets would be put to good use. Meanwhile the fans in the green and white can't wait to bend over their fellow supporters. Wow, outclassed by a rodent! Also, the last time I checked I thought that scalping (not to be associated to a Native American reference) was illegal. Enjoy the tickets for those of you that use them for the good of the team and not for profit and hope that you don't ever have to see the day when the back up plan for the upperdeck is enforced by sealing it off with drop down curtains like left field at the Metrodome. Did you even know that that plan is there? Must be for a reason.

Farce, I understand your frustration with the way tickets are being scalped and the prices being charged, but I can't in good conscience hope that the team has a bad season because of it. As I understand it, ticket scalping is not illegal in North Dakota, which is why Sioux hockey tickets can lawfully be sold to the highest bidder.

Unfortunately, the high prices people can charge for their tickets reflects the demand for them. If the team fell on hard times, you can bet that ticket prices would be much lower because the demand would be greatly reduced.

Farce,

Don't really understand your logic. Wishing bad luck on a team because of something that's outside their control?? Gee, I had a bad day at work so I think I'll kick my helpless puppy around... Pretty sure that Blais, Parise or anyone on the team doesn't control ticket prices. Sounds like you have misdirected anger. Write hatemail to the administration but leave the team out of it.

Go Sioux!

Farce. farce, Farce:

You wanna go to games in Grand Forks at face value. My posse and I may not be needing all of our tickets for all of our games this year. Get me your e-mail or phone number with an off-line post and I'll keep you in mind. Face value. Of course, no cream-of-the-crop pickings. But you'd be in, and in good seats.

One stip. Stop wishing for bad luck and knocking on wood.

My question is this, what will UND and The Ralph do down the road (hopefully way down the road) when the sioux might suffer a losing season or two and season tickets fall way off. Are people going to pay 27.50 to watch a losing team play? Yes, the die hard and true fans will, but that might only take up a third of the building.

I haven't seen the prices people are charging, but it's worth noting that season ticket holders would need to charge more than "face value" for the tickets to recoup their cost, since the cost includes up-front fees for the right to sit in certain areas.

There may be a down season occasionally if the program has a big number of players graduate/leave in the same year (like if Parise and Greene leave the same year Bochenski, Massen, McMahon, Canady, Fylling, Genoway, Schneider, Fuher, Jones and Brandt all graduate), but I think they will be few and far between for a while. The combination of the arena, tradition and coaching has really helped recruiting, and I think the program is on very strong footing (knocking on wood).

I haven't seen the prices people are charging, but it's worth noting that season ticket holders would need to charge more than "face value" for the tickets to recoup their cost, since the cost includes up-front fees for the right to sit in certain areas.

I don't know what most season ticket holders are paying, but I pay $690 for two seats. If you count all home games icluding the playoffs (all three games) the Sioux will play 26 games at home. That works out to be on average $13.27 per game. I understand that some games are worth more than others, but come on season ticket holders are getting a good deal. :0:)

The problem is with people offering more than face value for the tickets. Doing this only encurages people to scalp tickets. :D

I know I won't make it to all the games this year, but I will likely give my tickets away or only sell them for face value or less. To me it's not about money, just want someone to be able to enjoy watching one of the best teams in college hockey if I can't. ;):):)

Let's see ... to have four tickets in the lower bowl in a Coaches Club section like 106 or 107:

Fighting Sioux Club Membership: $1100

Two tickets at full price: $690

Two tickets at 1/3 off: $460

Total: $2250

Assume 23 home games plus 3 playoff games for 26 dates. That would be 104 "seats."

$2250/104 = $21.63

That's to sit in the "red" on this map. Then run it if you sit in the "green."

I'll let you figure out (using the link) what each seat should cost "on the street" so you don't feel "overcharged." Thank you.

Farce,

It's not just Sioux fans who are gouging ticket prices. I was looking for 2 Saturday tickets to the Sioux/Gopher game in Minneapolis last year, and one scalper that I talked to outside the arena laughed in my face when I said I would pay $70 for 2 tickets. Sorry, I'm a poor college student. He never did tell me how much he would take for them. Another guy said it would be $90/ticket. :D

I can't forget the time my daughter and I were standing in line at the old Ralph waiting to buy rush seating tickets just before the game started. A Sioux fan came up to me and asked me how many tickets I needed. I said two, thinking that he'd offer to sell me some.

He handed me two tickets and walked away as I was reaching for my wallet.

Not all Sioux fans are into price gouging.

I expected this kind of reaction from you all and it truly is frustration speaking. You all must keep in mind that I bleed green and deep down no matter how hard I tried could I ever really hope for a down season. You all make valid points. Some for and some against. I strong appreciate the support of those of you that agree and would continue to challange the arguments against. Some say it is not uncommon to pay those prices at Marriucci. True, but let me point out the population variation between the two cities (oh, by the way for the future wear your Sioux gear and when out of town you will find Sioux fans that are stuck with tickets that will give you a fair shake. If that fails take it off and buy after the puck has dropped).

There are those that said that people are paying the price and that is causing the increase. You are right and shame on those for fueling the fire.

For those that try to cloud the situation with facts amen to your research, but I never said that I was opposed to $20 - $30 a ticket. I am opposed to $100 - $200 a ticket, get real:

Most importantly tickets would not be in such high demand if the majority of the people attending the games were truly there to support the team. Do a head check in the end bars and those that are not facing forward and you will see what I mean. Engelstad Arean has become Grand Forks' answer to the Kit Kat Club.

I also blame the Ralph for the cause of some of this situation. $20 for a Wild pre season game. Get real! $12 At the X and much like the Ralph, no bad seat. UND isn't any better. Mandatory donantions to qualify for tickets???

I do thank you all for enlightening me on the fact that scalping is legal in the Dakotas. I was not aware of this law, but it seems fitting when compared to some of the other moral inconsistancies in the state ie. no lottery, but charitable??? Gambling.

I would like to leave you with one parting note that triggered this topic. I to remember a time (a Minnesota series to boot) that I also was outside in below -0 temeratures looking for tickets and someonehanded me a pair and wanted nothing more than for me to enjoy the game. I know that there are those of you that are still out there.

Scalping tickets is the nature of the beast with teams that boast great tradition. I grew up in Grand Forks and would go to the Sioux games as a kid. I am now living in Wisconsin and have to pay out of my butt to sit at Lambeau Field. Just to get into the nose bleed section of the endzone costs upwards of $200.00 a seat. When I return to Grand Forks to visit, I pay top dollar to sit at the new Ralph. I guess I just expect to pay good money for top notch sporting entertainment.

It is pretty sad when the tics I bought for the Sioux Gophs at The Much are 10$ cheaper than the Tics I bought at the Ralph. I think the farce hits it right when he wishes for a losing season. Hey, Minnesota N-Stars when are you going to start cheering for the Gophs anyway. Your endless drivel has hurt my ears all summer. I can't wait until this site turns back into an info site. And yes Sensors will play the games this year, it has for the last 3 years.

It is pretty sad when the tics I bought for the Sioux Gophs at The Much are 10$ cheaper than the Tics I bought at the Ralph.  I think the farce hits it right when he wishes for a losing season.  Hey, Minnesota N-Stars when are you going to start cheering for the Gophs anyway.  Your endless drivel has hurt my ears all summer.  I can't wait until this site turns back into an info site.  And yes Sensors will play the games this year, it has for the last 3 years.

smilie_3dbaby.gif

Someone forget to hug you today, Sunshine? Lighten up, season starts next week.

A ticket to any WCHA game, bar none, is still, in my opinion, the best value for a sport fan's dollar, anywhere, at any level. So, if anyone has any trouble with paying the freight at the Ralph, or at Mariucci, or anywhere else for that matter, you are crying in the wrong forum.

Don't wanna pay the Ralph freight? Then load up the car, and hit the road to Duluth, Houghton, Mankato, or Saint Cloud. Tickets in these venues run anywhere from $10 to $22, even less for youngsters.

I am sure that the team would love you to take the road trip. There is nothing better than cheering for the visitor in a WCHA arena.

With a bit of patience, planning, and perserverance, fans of any team can find their way into any WCHA arena, at a fair and reasonable price.

Let's drop the puck, because we are far astray crying about, and responding to those crying about, those things over which we have no control.