SiouxSports.com Forum

Losing Season

TheFarce

It is one thing to watch your team have a bad season, but to hope for it is another. I never thought that I would see the day that I would wish for the Sioux to have a poor team, but after looking at the post on the Engelstad ticket site I long for the days when you could hear a pin drop at the Old Engelstad.

With all due respect, I disagree with your conclusion. (The only team I wish a losing season upon hardly ever has one.)

Are there a bunch of fair weather fans in the new arena? Da$# right. But I'd still rather have butts in the seats than have four empty seats next to me to set my parka on.

Are there people who don't pay attention during the game? who are there to be seen, and are there just because its an Event? Da#$ right. Maybe someday they will become True Fans. If not they will get bored.

A free market for tickets leads to ticket scalping today. Like democracy, it aint great but its the best system we got. And I am impressed by how tickets flow among frends and families ... meaning that somebody different may be in the seats for each game, but people are making an effort using the tix. Contrast that to thousands of empty seats at Mary Ucchi... then tell me who has class and who doesn't.

==============================

I don't mean to say there's nothing that bugs me. There are things I don't like about the new arena. Sending 1500 students to the upper bowl was a stupid move. Playing loud music for 8 seconds during stoppages is annoying.

If anyone wants to go to a Sioux hockey game and hear a pin drop, go to a women's game. But do it fast, because next year, and in the following years, the seats will fill.

It is one thing to watch your team have a bad season, but to hope for it is another.  I never thought that I would see the day that I would wish for the Sioux to have a poor team, but after looking at the post on the Engelstad ticket site I long for the days when you could hear a pin drop at the Old Engelstad.  It was those games that brought out the the real fans (as opposed to the status qou of the Grand Shities!)  I am seeing higher ticket prices asked for games then for the Minnesota Wild's first playoff run.  It is absolutely ridiculous!  Last year I purchased tickets from a Gopher fan for the NCAA tournement at face value!  He had mentioned that he appreciates the fan support and following that the Sioux have and was happy to know that the tickets would be put to good use.  Meanwhile the fans in the green and white can't wait to bend over their fellow supporters. Wow, outclassed by a rodent!  Also, the last time I checked I thought that scalping (not to be associated to a Native American reference) was illegal.  Enjoy the tickets for those of you that use them for the good of the team and not for profit and hope that you don't ever have to see the day when the back up plan for the upperdeck is enforced by sealing it off with drop down curtains like left field at the Metrodome.  Did you even know that that plan is there?  Must be for a reason.

Did I miss something here? I just cannot take this post seriously.

Some yayhoo on the internet wants to make a buck on tickets and you wish ill-will towards the Fighting Sioux hockey team as punishment? This is what we have to complain about these days? You must have gotten a hold of some of that bad weed the Canadian government keeps pushing on its elderly.

Seriously. I stop by to get some inside info on the greatest team in the history of college hockey, and I run into this crap. Ralph built the arena for EVERYONE, not just self-annointed hockey purists who cringe at the thought of their favorite sport actually becoming popular with the masses. A$$holes are found on every bandwagon, in every city, all over the planet. You cannot avoid them, you can only just ignore them. Perhaps you think of me as one? Fine. But, you will never see me wishing any sort of bad luck on the Kelly Green just to spite someone I've never met.

Truly amazing.

taz

If years from now the SIOUX have a down year, then the scalpers will charge less money.

FARCE Shame on you for the title you picked to this string. Ill bet there are other teams you could root for cheaper. :0

If five years the Sioux have a bad season there will be no need for scalpers.

Second, I knew the title would capture interest, that is why I used it. It is not my topic title that will hurt the team, it will be the wannabe fans that are afraid to get off their asses and cheer on the team when it counts.

You are right there are other teams that I can cheer for for a lot less like the Minnesota WILD!! :D

Bah. It's the fanbase that counts. Packers, Cubs, Yankees, Lakers.... every one of those teams have a fanbase that is unbelievable. Look at the Cubs. They can lose 95 games in a season and still do it before a sold out crowd.

How have the Vikings, Twins, Gophers, and even the Sioux done in fanbase during losing seasons? Well, the last half of that question was serious. I'll tell you, the Twins and the Vikes have the same player base. Over 500 and everyone's at the games. Under 500 and it's a ghost town at the Metrodome.