SiouxSports.com Forum

2009 Roster

UND Fan

The 2009 roster has been posted. No real surprises as far as no-shows!

The size of our starting offensive line is very concerning to me: 272, 276, 270, 279 and 290 (average 277). It has been many, many years since our starting group was that small. I would guess that the average DI OL is 300+.

Is anyone else excited about how young our defense is? I knew they where young but there is going to be a lot of sophmores and Rfr. getting some good minutes this season. That gets me excited about the future. I'd rather take a few lumps with sophs and freshman than with seniors. I just have to tip my hat to the coaches again for a great last few seasons of recruiting. Keep them coming!!

Is anyone else excited about how young our defense is? I knew they where young but there is going to be a lot of sophmores and Rfr. getting some good minutes this season. That gets me excited about the future. I'd rather take a few lumps with sophs and freshman than with seniors. I just have to tip my hat to the coaches again for a great last few seasons of recruiting. Keep them coming!!

I agree with you - there appears to be a lot of talent and good depth on defense. They are young but should be good. Hopefully, they will stay healthy!

I agree with you - there appears to be a lot of talent and good depth on defense. They are young but should be good. Hopefully, they will stay healthy!

Thats what gets me excited is the amount of talent that is there. I heard good things about these guys when they where redshirt freshmen and was very impressed by them during the spring game. I just never took the time to look at the depth chart. The offense will be alright but I think it is good for our young defense to go through a season where the hat may be hung on them a little bit while the offense gels.

I must have missed it, is Jordan Murray coming back?

My understanding is that Murray has not been dismissed, so if his grades improve he can return. It's hard to say how likely that is, however, as we heard the same thing about Chappell last year... :lol:

So, I am ignorant. Is the UMN-TC transfer eligible to play IAA (oops, I mean FCS) ball this year? You would think he could contribute if he played a few games at a Big 10 school, even though it was the hapless gophers.

Barring any academic issues, FBS transfers do not have to sit out a year when tranferring "down", so Moore should be eligible to play this year.

My understanding is that Murray has not been dismissed, so if his grades improve he can return. It's hard to say how likely that is, however, as we heard the same thing about Chappell last year... :lol:

I understand Mussman was on with Dan Hammer the other day and indicated Murray would red-shirt this year (he played as a true freshman). That allows him to continue practicing with the team and, hopefully, increases the chances he will return next year. I believe he would have two years of eligibility remaining. As I recall, Chappell either could not or did not remain with the team and virtually disappeared.

I understand Mussman was on with Dan Hammer the other day and indicated Murray would red-shirt this year (he played as a true freshman). That allows him to continue practicing with the team and, hopefully, increases the chances he will return next year. I believe he would have two years of eligibility remaining. As I recall, Chappell either could not or did not remain with the team and virtually disappeared.

I hope that's true, but it begs the question--why has Murray's name been removed from the roster?

I hope that's true, but it begs the question--why has Murray's name been removed from the roster?

I don't know, but I'd be happy to speculate; First-year players (and the nomenclature always gets confusing for me because we used to call first-year players "red-shirt freshman" and now just "freshman" -- or just "first year" in the wonderfully gender-blind state of Minnesota, but I digress) are eligible to play anytime the coach wants to "pull their redshirt." Murray, on the other hand, is not an eligible player and probably cannot be listed on the roster. It's my understanding the rules allow an academically ineligible player to continue to practice with the team in a "red shirt" year, but we may need a rules geek (cough, Hammersmith, cough, cough) to verify.

I don't know, but I'd be happy to speculate; First-year players (and the nomenclature always gets confusing for me because we used to call first-year players "red-shirt freshman" and now just "freshman" -- or just "first year" in the wonderfully gender-blind state of Minnesota, but I digress) are eligible to play anytime the coach wants to "pull their redshirt." Murray, on the other hand, is not an eligible player and probably cannot be listed on the roster. It's my understanding the rules allow an academically ineligible player to continue to practice with the team in a "red shirt" year, but we may need a rules geek (cough, Hammersmith, cough, cough) to verify.

You got it right. If you come in as a freshman and don't meet the NCAA initial entrance requirements, then you lose one of your five years, can't receive athletic financial aid, and can't practice with the team(e.g. Jordan May). Once you've completed a year of classes, academic ineligibility means you can't compete but none of that other stuff. I don't know if there are any NCAA rules about who can or can't be on a website roster, but I think you're right about why he isn't on there. A roster is for everyone that can possibly play. Since Murray can't, he doesn't seem to belong on it.

You got it right. If you come in as a freshman and don't meet the NCAA initial entrance requirements, then you lose one of your five years, can't receive athletic financial aid, and can't practice with the team(e.g. Jordan May). Once you've completed a year of classes, academic ineligibility means you can't compete but none of that other stuff. I don't know if there are any NCAA rules about who can or can't be on a website roster, but I think you're right about why he isn't on there. A roster is for everyone that can possibly play. Since Murray can't, he doesn't seem to belong on it.

May was listed on the roster last year, even though he couldn't even practice. Perhaps it's just different policies for different sports within an athletic department.