SiouxSports.com Forum

State Board

siouxper_tex

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They can ban anything if they make it a "hate crime" or "hostile and abusive" (sound familiar?).

I used to be stationed in a certain city by the bay and one time my friends and I were telling some off color jokes (we were 19) about a subject that used to be highlighted on Will and Grace. Well someone heard us talking and I was given a lecture from the police on hate crimes. I wasn't advocating hate at all, it was a dumb joke between some friends. At any rate, if the campus labels something hateful regardless of good intentions, they can outlaw it.

Wrong! Gong! The Buffalo or Bison are considered a sacred animal by the Native Americans of the Dakotas.

Oh my dear god, drop it!!!

I will be my entire net worth that there isn't any action made against the Bison nickname.

I will be my entire net worth that there isn't any action made against the Bison nickname.

Apparently you missed the letters to the editor of the NDSU student newspaper. :silly:

Gonna send me both dimes? You promised your net worth. :):D

Dunno if this is the right place to ask Jim but with the nickname change now being imminent will this site be having a name change to go along with whatever new nickname that the University of North Dakota adopts?

I asked Jim this same question a while back in the Administration section of the site, and he said that he would change the name to be something similar to the new nickname.

I will bet my entire net worth that there isn't any action made against the Bison nickname.

Really! Don't be so sure the P.C. Browshirts have the momentum. Nothing to stop them on their next target.

Interesting idea: but what if the decision is to go with no nickname?

Then I guess the new name of SiouxSports.com is Jim'swebsiteforUniversityofNorthDakotaSports.com!!!

I'd vote to keep it SiouxSports.com, myself.

Interesting idea: but what if the decision is to go with no nickname?

I would have to think that the University would have to do that in the interim.

Can you imagine if they changed the name during the summer when the students were home for the summer?

You would have a S#!T storm. I think the Students and the Alumni need to weigh in on the issue before any name is

accepted or acceptable.

Unfortunately if feel very pessimistic about this now. I am very worried that we will get shafted with some BS new nickname. I find it very hard to rally around a forced nickname. I have heard it on here before and i love the idea of no name if we can't have the Sioux name. I have sent one e-mail out. Not that it will help. I hope there are enough people out there that support this idea. What are the popular opinions on this idea?

Here is what i see happening: Standing Rock votes by 75% to keep the Sioux name so we have both tribes voting to keep the name however both tribal councils dismiss the voting and UND loses its name. I think this is going to be a reality if they even allow the SR to vote which is in July. Ron Thunder ain't going to allow this to happen. So i think we do this; drop the name and stay UND with no nickname then pick a name by 2012 when UND is playoff eligible. So that gives us a little over 2 years to get a new name. That way its a new UND going into D1 with a whole new image. Remember we are 1 we are NORTH DAKOTA!!!

Unfortunately if feel very pessimistic about this now. I am very worried that we will get shafted with some BS new nickname. I find it very hard to rally around a forced nickname. I have heard it on here before and i love the idea of no name if we can't have the Sioux name. I have sent one e-mail out. Not that it will help. I hope there are enough people out there that support this idea. What are the popular opinions on this idea?

Maybe we need to flood the alumni office and university with emails and calls and tell them not to just randomly change the name to something stupid and

unacceptable, I can see this happening. A lof ot us spent a lot of time and money attending UND and have a degree or two from UND and we don't want to sit by as our university adminstration and the SBOE ruins/disregards traditions and a very storried sports team name. I feel that UND is about more than just finding a conference for the Basketball team, a lot of us didn't ask for UND to transistion to Division one. There are a lot of Banners hanging in the REA with a Sioux logo on them.

I think the Students and the Alumni need to weigh in on the issue before any name is accepted or acceptable.

Goon, let me ask this much: don't you think the students and alumni weighed in on whether or not they wanted to drop the nickname?
:D

And yet the nickname was dropped anyway.
:silly:

IMHO, I'd vote for no nickname; but in justice I shouldn't have a vote.

Goon, let me ask this much: don't you think the students and alumni weighed in on whether or not they wanted to drop the nickname?
:D

And yet the nickname was dropped anyway.
:silly:

IMHO, I'd vote for no nickname; but in justice I shouldn't have a vote.

The University Of North Dakota Fighting Darells....i will accept lifetime season tickets and free parking and concessions. In return for use of the name! :)

Maybe we need to flood the alumni office and university with emails and calls and tell them not to just randomly change the name to something stupid and

unacceptable, I can see this happening. A lof ot us spent a lot of time and money attending UND and have a degree or two from UND and we don't want to sit by as our university adminstration and the SBOE ruins/disregards traditions and a very storried sports team name. I feel that UND is about more than just finding a conference for the Basketball team, a lot of us didn't ask for UND to transistion to Division one. There are a lot of Banners hanging in the REA with a Sioux logo on them.

Thats what i am thinking. Pretty sure i am going to start a Facebook group about this. See if we can get this opinion spread outside

The university needs to let the dust settle before moving on and picking a new nickname. So going a few years without a nickname is a smart idea. Hopefully one will naturally appear without some random group picking one behind a closed door and trying to force it on us.

But going without a nickname/logo/mascot forever would be a huge mistake from a marketing standpoing. Both academically and athletically.

The university needs to let the dust settle before moving on and picking a new nickname. So going a few years without a nickname is a smart idea. Hopefully one will naturally appear without some random group picking one behind a closed door and trying to force it on us.

But going without a nickname/logo/mascot forever would be a huge mistake from a marketing standpoing. Both academically and athletically.

Yeah i think you are right. Go for a few years without a nickname and then just implement Sioux because it will not die. Then just blame it on the fact that Norwegians are very stubborn