SiouxSports.com Forum

Fighting Sioux Hockey Off-Season Thread

AZSIOUX

just one more...I had to laugh...

"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you." - Archie 81-85

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a nice way to tell a former player that he sucks to the media. :glare:

Nice job Eaves! I'm sure you're winning over future recruits already. :ohmy:

Eaves is looking for players with a more diverse set of skills, kinda like Robbie Earl, he accelrated in Diving and acting as well as hockey!

You know, Earl is the one true success of Eaves that I can think of off the top of my head.

He convinced Toronto that he was worth signing. It flies in the face of what was stated about Cichy: A good college player doesn't necessarily mean a good pro player. Earl was decent in college but has done nothing in the pros.

I still project him to get some NHL time, but he'll forever be a bubble player or, at best, the 13th forward and healthy scratch.

I thought about this last year, but don't think I ever posted it...

Now, this is no knock on Looker, but how cool would it be to have Michael Buffer do intros, on ice, for the Friday night game of a UND-Minnesota game at The Ralph? I remember when I was in high school, two other high schools in the area (about the same sizes as Red River and Central) who were big rivals had Buffer do the intro to the game. It was a nice little fee I'm sure, but the schools sold t-shirts to fund-raise for it and I think they came out pretty even while putting on an awesome show.

Imagine hearing Buffers infamous "Let's Get Ready to Rumble!!!!!" right before the puck drops.... (try getting a ticket to that game!)

I thought about this last year, but don't think I ever posted it...

Now, this is no knock on Looker, but how cool would it be to have Michael Buffer do intros, on ice, for the Friday night game of a UND-Minnesota game at The Ralph? I remember when I was in high school, two other high schools in the area (about the same sizes as Red River and Central) who were big rivals had Buffer do the intro to the game. It was a nice little fee I'm sure, but the schools sold t-shirts to fund-raise for it and I think they came out pretty even while putting on an awesome show.

Imagine hearing Buffers infamous "Let's Get Ready to Rumble!!!!!" right before the puck drops.... (try getting a ticket to that game!)

I'd be happy for Bruce. :ohmy:

It's odd, but I had Bruce and Michael mixed up. :glare:

P.S. I never heard Oshie as a questionable skater.

You know, Earl is the one true success of Eaves that I can think of off the top of my head.

He convinced Toronto that he was worth signing. It flies in the face of what was stated about Cichy: A good college player doesn't necessarily mean a good pro player. Earl was decent in college but has done nothing in the pros.

I still project him to get some NHL time, but he'll forever be a bubble player or, at best, the 13th forward and healthy scratch.

I don't see Earl ever stepping foot in the NHL...same for Irmen.

I don't see Earl ever stepping foot in the NHL...same for Irmen.

earl has played 9 games in the nhl and irmen hasnt. they may be similar players career wise but i like earls overall talent over irmens

earl has played 9 games in the nhl and irmen hasnt. they may be similar players career wise but i like earls overall talent over irmens

Earl has a diving career to fall back on if the NHL doesn't work out for him. :glare:

I don't like either players.

Peope berate Bochenski and others for being bad skaters, but Earl wrote the book on bad skating. Or at least that was the reasoning UW hockey commentators gave on why Earl is so easily upended.

I also don't care much for Earl's ethics.

That being said, I'll stand by my claim is that Earl will continue to get spot duty in the NHL as injuries at the NHL level demand it. He'll never stick in the NHL.

Irmen... I don't know. I've not heard good things about Minnesota Wild's development in terms of their AHL affiliate. Maybe I'm mistaken though.

I thought Irmen was a decent player. To his credit he wasn't prone to diving and he played a relatively clean game. I doubt Irmen has a worse ethic than Earl.

It's a shame Irmen will probably never see the NHL, but that's how it goes. The same is true of Bochenski. He'll never see the NHL again. For good or bad, that's how it is.

I cannot predict the future, but that's what I believe anyways. Take it for what it's worth.

Peope berate Bochenski and others for being bad skaters, but Earl wrote the book on bad skating. Or at least that was the reasoning UW hockey commentators gave on why Earl is so easily upended.

That being said, I'll stand by my claim is that Earl will continue to get spot duty in the NHL as injuries at the NHL level demand it. He'll never stick in the NHL.

Irmen... I don't know. I've not heard good things about Minnesota Wild's development in terms of their AHL affiliate. Maybe I'm mistaken though.

I thought Irmen was a decent player. To his credit he wasn't prone to diving and he played a relatively clean game. I doubt Irmen has a worse ethic than Earl.

It's a shame Irmen will probably never see the NHL, but that's how it goes. The same is true of Bochenski. He'll never see the NHL again. For good or bad, that's how it is.

I cannot predict the future, but that's what I believe anyways. Take it for what it's worth.

I think it is great Irmen will never step foot in the NHL...why would you want that jersey popper ahole in the NHL?? I say give him another year or two in Houston and he can start selling insurance. After his antics while playing the Sioux i wish him no luck at all.

I would say Bochenski has a better chance of seeing NHL ice again over Irmen.

just one more...I had to laugh...

"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you." - Archie 81-85

Now that one is good.

I would say Bochenski has a better chance of seeing NHL ice again over Irmen.

I think so too Irmen has had a tough scoring goals in the AHL Bochenski has not.

The thing that Hamstrung Brandon is his defense, but he can score from anywhere.

i heard runblings of these 2 issues with uaa and cc. i see moore going major junior. would be a huge loss for cc. hell of a player and 1st rd pick this last june

per western blog

http://www.westerncollegehockeyblog.com/

Alaska-Anchorage recruit Spencer Bennett has signed with the Portland Winterhawks of the WHL. Bennett was recently drafted in the 5th round of the NHL Draft by the Calgary Flames.

Meanwhile, Colorado College recruit John Moore says he is still undecided about whether or not he will play next season at Colorado College.

i heard runblings of these 2 issues with uaa and cc. i see moore going major junior. would be a huge loss for cc. hell of a player and 1st rd pick this last june

per western blog

http://www.westerncollegehockeyblog.com/

Alaska-Anchorage recruit Spencer Bennett has signed with the Portland Winterhawks of the WHL. Bennett was recently drafted in the 5th round of the NHL Draft by the Calgary Flames.

Meanwhile, Colorado College recruit John Moore says he is still undecided about whether or not he will play next season at Colorado College.

I can't blame Bennett, I would much rather play in the WHL than play at Anchorage.

From Brad's Blog

http://www.areavoices.com/undhockey/

ROOKIE NUMBERS

UND media relations director Jayson Hajdu sent out the 2009-10 roster today, which reveals the numbers that the freshmen will be wearing (except for Ryan Hill, whoever the third goaltender will be and potentially Michael Forney). Here they are:

2 Andrew MacWilliam, D

7 Danny Kristo, F

8 Mike Cichy, F

13 Brett Bruneteau, F

20 Joe Gleason, D

27 Carter Rowney, F

32 Aaron Dell, G

A few notes to add about the numbers:

No pressure, Danny Kristo. The last three guys to wear number 7: Travis Roche (All-American), Brandon Bochenski (All-American) and T.J. Oshie (All-American). Kristo has said in the past that one of his favorite players is Oshie, so I'm sure he is excited about carrying on No. 7 from T.J.

Brett Bruneteau will be the first player since Lee Marvin in the 2005-06 season to wear No. 13. No number under 25 (except for the retired No. 12) has been as seldom worn as No. 13.

No current players will be changing numbers. We've seen that in the past, most recently with Phil Lamoureux going from No. 34 to No. 1.

For now, Ryan Duncan's No. 16 will sit empty. It has kind of been a tradition recently if a superstar departs to leave his number open for a year. Zach Parise's 11 was open for a year after he left and the same for Bochenski's 7, Travis Zajac's 15, Jonathan Toews' 9 and Oshie's 7.

Three of the guys will be wearing the same number they did in juniors -- Andrew MacWilliam, Mike Cichy and Joe Gleason.

Yep they do throw em in the WHL but I don't think that is the only reason he is playing in the WHL.

It may be a fighting league, but it still produces a good crop of talent. I don't want to get into a major junior vs. college discussion, but the major junior route can be a very good route for a player to take (the numbers speak for themselves), especially over going to UAA.

It may be a fighting league, but it still produces a good crop of talent. I don't want to get into a major junior vs. college discussion, but the major junior route can be a very good route for a player to take (the numbers speak for themselves), especially over going to UAA.

well said