SiouxSports.com Forum

2009 NHL PLAYOFFS

AZSIOUX

Walker should have been suspended. Still, the concept of letting the players police the game is like letting the inmates run the asylum. If Don Cherry's "code" is so great why do other sports fine and suspend players for fighting? It's not like hockey is the only sport with cheap shots? Better yet, why not allow vigilantism in society? Do away with law enforcement and let people police themselves. If somebody robs you, rather than call the cops you could drag them into the street and challenge them to duke it out. Sounds ridiculous, doesn't it? No more so than Don Cherry's "code".

funny%20gun%20picture.jpg

In honor of Dave this picture explains him perfectly.

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's all I can come up too... the fact that it's been that way for so long. I can't think of any other reason why it would be tolerated. Sometimes traditions have to be ended for the greater good. Someday if and when they put a stop to it, it will be the most groundbreaking rule change since helmets were made mandatory.

I wouldn't count on that happening any time soon.

That's all I can come up too... the fact that it's been that way for so long. I can't think of any other reason why it would be tolerated. Sometimes traditions have to be ended for the greater good. Someday if and when they put a stop to it, it will be the most groundbreaking rule change since helmets were made mandatory.

That's probably the same thing for the nickname. Obviously, it must offend some Native Americans. I don't understand how it is offensive, since the University goes above and beyond to make sure they share the rich traditions of Native Americans, but then again, I'm not Native American. If I were, I guess I might find it offensive, I don't know.

To get it back on topic, so my post doesn't get moved to the nickname thread ( :lol: ), I don't see fighting coming even close to the helmets issues. Lack of helmets could result in serious/deadly injury at any point of the game. From a minor tripping play to a deflected puck, all within the context of the game. As I've stated in prior posts, 9.9 out of 10 players choose to fight, which usually means they can hold their own against their opponent. In a fight, you're expecting punches. On a deflected puck, you're not expecting the puck to hit you in the head.

I understand you enjoy the game. One would think though, as much as you oppose fighting, you would have never gave hockey a chance the minute you saw your first fight during a hockey game. I guess I enjoy a good fight here and there...not for the enjoyment of watching one of them getting their head "smashed in" as you might say. I see fighting as a way to turnaround a team when they're playing poorly. I hate seeing the Sioux fight when they've got a lead, but I understand why they do. I definitely don't want my team just having to take it, and not willing to throw a punch back to defend themselves.

I think that you could make the same statement for Goon, replacing the word fighting with the word stickwork. You would think that as much as he opposes stickwork, that he would have never given hockey a chance the minute he saw the first example of stickwork during a game. Fighting is to me what stickwork is to Goon, an ugly blemish on an otherwise great game.

Not the same thing. Ask Henry Boucha what he thinks about stick work.

I think that you could make the same statement for Goon, replacing the word fighting with the word stickwork. You would think that as much as he opposes stickwork, that he would have never given hockey a chance the minute he saw the first example of stickwork during a game. Fighting is to me what stickwork is to Goon, an ugly blemish on an otherwise great game.

For the record, I can somewhat tolerate a little scrum if it comes across as being spontaneous. I understand that sometimes emotions boil over in the heat of the moment like the Zetterberg/Malkin incident in Game 2 of the Finals this year. The kind of fights that I especially hate are the "scripted" ones where these guys do the whole "you want to go?", "YOU want to go?" thing that I refer to as "macho posturing". It's just so cheesy and lame IMHO.

What especially bothers me about those "scripted" fights is when that clown Don Cherry tries to rationalize it by saying that what they're actually doing is policing the game. Oh really, Don? Well, if those jackasses are doing such a great job of policing the game why even have refs at all? If those guys are so good at enforcing rules let them call icing and offsides too. They aren't policing anything, they're putting on a show. Unfortunately, a lot of people actually enjoy watching that garbage. That's what annoys me more than the fights themselves, the mere fact that so many people stand up and cheer for that BS.

My honest opinion...take fighting out of the game, and the sneaky stickwork rises. It's a lot easier to hide stickwork than it is a fight. Stickwork rises and that's when all out fights occur, because the ref wasn't in position to make the call, and therefore, didn't make the call. Could hockey without fights work? Of course. But it would definitely take an adjustment period. I think if it were to happen today, the next 5 years would result in some very serious fights or players go ballistic like Bertuzzi & McSorley. Unfortunately Dave, you know that the refs don't catch every little thing, and some players would specialize in sneak attacks, causing VERY UNFAMILY LIKE ENTERTAINMENT.

I think the fighting keeps the league thugs from going after the star players in the league. I also think there would be a lot more goalies run over. The NHL players are on record and keeping fighting in the game.

My honest opinion...take fighting out of the game, and the sneaky stickwork rises. It's a lot easier to hide stickwork than it is a fight. Stickwork rises and that's when all out fights occur, because the ref wasn't in position to make the call, and therefore, didn't make the call. Could hockey without fights work? Of course. But it would definitely take an adjustment period. I think if it were to happen today, the next 5 years would result in some very serious fights or players go ballistic like Bertuzzi & McSorley. Unfortunately Dave, you know that the refs don't catch every little thing, and some players would specialize in sneak attacks, causing VERY UNFAMILY LIKE ENTERTAINMENT.

See hockey leagues in Europe. Very little fighting, lots of cheap crap...

I don't watch much pro hockey, but watching the Pens in their own zone in the third, there's still a place in hockey for the big defensive defenseman. Orpik was crashing and crushing guys all period. (Yes I know he played at BC.) You don't need great hands to play that role, but you do need good quick feet.

Thank you, LetsGoSioux!, for a decent and level-headed response. Much better than the antagonistic stuff I get from the likes of Goon and sprig.

Yeah of course you are the victim you have never posted anything stupid or antagonistic. :lol::lol::lol:

Lots of stick work. Dave must like the way the Detroit Redwings play the game.

Yeah, Dave is an odd one. Ever since he was a little boy, he's loved other boys' sticks and how they play with them. It excited him to see other boys banging their sticks on each other. The ones with the biggest sticks he liked the most, but he didn't have many friends because he had a little stick...

It doesn't take a professional to accept that my opinion is what it is. If you want to help, learn how to say "each to their own" or nothing at all. All I want is to be able to state my opinion and not get bombarded with argumentive/antagonistic responses from every Tom, Dick, and Harry who disagrees.

fighting, cheap shots, gophers, hdtv

We all know your opinion on each of the above, why must you jump into any thread where people are discussing any of those subjects and start an argument. Is it online therapy to help your need for jumping on the ice, confronting players, coaches, referees, etc who are opponents of your kid's teams.

Why, for instance, must you jump into any thread where Sioux fans are discussing their like of HDTV, in order to let them know that (in your opinion, of course) they are stupid and have been tricked into spending their hard earned money for something that is no different than standard digital. Why do you feel the need for something so trivial.

Why, since you've already discovered Tom, Dick, Harry, and every other fan here disagrees with your opinion, do you jump into every thread to argue, then whine about the consequences.

I'll attempt to avoid wasting any more space/bandwidth on your opinions, both with replying to your nonsense, and I'll try to log on when I come here, so that your posts are ignored automatically.

fighting, cheap shots, gophers, hdtv

We all know your opinion on each of the above, why must you jump into any thread where people are discussing any of those subjects and start an argument. Is it online therapy to help your need for jumping on the ice, confronting players, coaches, referees, etc who are opponents of your kid's teams.

Why, for instance, must you jump into any thread where Sioux fans are discussing their like of HDTV, in order to let them know that (in your opinion, of course) they are stupid and have been tricked into spending their hard earned money for something that is no different than standard digital. Why do you feel the need for something so trivial.

Why, since you've already discovered Tom, Dick, Harry, and every other fan here disagrees with your opinion, do you jump into every thread to argue, then whine about the consequences.

I'll attempt to avoid wasting any more space/bandwidth on your opinions, both with replying to your nonsense, and I'll try to log on when I come here, so that your posts are ignored automatically.

Yet we are the antagonists. :lol:

sprig... stating a contrary opinion is not starting an argument. Starting an argument is responding to a contrary opinion in a hostile manner.

Are you gonna tell us the dictionary is wrong and is trying to scam us out of our hard-earned dollars and that we are neanderthals for listening to it? (On a side note, new theories suggest that neanderthals were as smart or smarter than "humans" or whatever you want to call the other species)

Anywho:

Argument:

2. a discussion involving differing points of view; debate: They were deeply involved in an argument about inflation.

3. a process of reasoning; series of reasons: I couldn't follow his argument.

4. a statement, reason, or fact for or against a point: This is a strong argument in favor of her theory.

You should get your facts straight before spreading word around like its gospel.

Are you gonna tell us the dictionary is wrong and is trying to scam us out of our hard-earned dollars and that we are neanderthals for listening to it? (On a side note, new theories suggest that neanderthals were as smart or smarter than "humans" or whatever you want to call the other species)

Anywho:

Argument:

2. a discussion involving differing points of view; debate: They were deeply involved in an argument about inflation.

3. a process of reasoning; series of reasons: I couldn't follow his argument.

4. a statement, reason, or fact for or against a point: This is a strong argument in favor of her theory.

You should get your facts straight before spreading word around like its gospel.

I believe that you were looking for homo sapiens, which is Latin for "wise man" or "knowing man".

DaveK seems to have his own dictionary and his opinions can often be substituted for facts, at least in his arguments.