SiouxSports.com Forum

General Feeling From Sioux Fans

JESUS,family,rutgers

On the other hand, from the beginning of the '99-'00 season, I knew, just KNEW that the team was going to claim its 7th title. I don't know how I came to be so certain but the certainty was definitely there all season long. After we shutout Maine in the semifinal, a friend and I ran into Maine's coach, the late Shawn Walsh, on the off day at the fanfest in Providence. Seeing us in our Sioux jerseys, he came up to us and said, "Your team is going to win." And he was right. We came from behind to beat BC and left flabbergasted the ESPN sportscasters who had intoned during the second period intermission that the Eagles were 20 minutes away from the championship. No Hail Mary that time for BC Superfan Doug Flutie! The '00 Sioux, it seemed, was a team of destiny.

So, I'm hopeful, very hopeful, and I'm definitely pulling for this band of brothers to go all the way.

But that '00 team had really peaked. We've recently discussed the '00 series in Madison when the Badgers took two exciting overtime games from the Sioux. In the first of those games, I believe, the Sioux had come back to tie. We did not outplay UW in either of those games. When those teams met in the final 5 two months later, UND just plain outplayed the Badgers. That team was ready for playoff hockey at the end.

Hak has this team playing extremely well since Xmas, but they haven't shown in recent weeks that they can clearly outplay a strong opponent for close to 60 minutes. They might win it all and, as you say, they are a band of brothers, so it would be particularly nice for it to happen to this team.

How many time zones down under? It's a big country. Is there any hockey in Australia? I think Russell Crowe would've made an awesome hockey player...sorta Cam Neelyesque!

we have 3 time zones (sort of) some are full hours and some are half hour difference

yes i play hockey here, it is not very good though, at best it is a beer league :sad: but we occasionally get some great import players (Steve McKenna played here and now coaches our National team, we have had our share of college and Canadian major junior players also) Go to NHL.com and down the bottom under Affiliate Sites there is "Aussie Hockey" if you need some convincing that we actually play haha :lol:

Actually i am not sure, have you guys recently changed to daylight saving time or something because the tech games were an hour earlier than i thought and i missed the first 1 and half periods on saturday cause of it?? :lol:

Yes, we switched to DST the weekend of Mar 7.

...Long time reader, first time poster.

I couldn't resist posting on this topic as I feel the Siouxs chances are as good as any other team in the playoffs. Yes, I agree their PP and PK hasn't been spot on and that can certainly make or break a team. But on the other hand this team is a well rounded team with four lines that have nearly equal talent as they have proven this season. This team may not have the "big" names other teams have (although Duncan is a big name in my book even if he's to modest to admit it) which has been used to our advantage all season long. Opposing teams have a hard time keying on one one line as a "top" line. As far as other teams in the final five and beyond...one team at a time...one game at a time. My biggest concern would be BU. As far as peaking to early goes...forget it. This team rose once again from the early season depths and has been rising high ever since. As long as we continue to build on the momentum we have and have more success on our PP and PK we should do well in the playoffs. A well balanced team can go all the way in the playoffs and you never know how the puck will bounce (just ask Robbie Bina :lol: and Jeff Frazee)

Go Sioux!

I think the regular season thing is interesting but the FF stuff is irrelevant.

What's the difference between losing a game by 1 goal in OT and losing by 12 in regulation?

It may be a question of competitiveness, sure, but in the end they are both losses.

I'm a Hakstol supporter and I firmly believe that one of these times HAS to work. I don't know if this is the year, but I know that he'll win one if we allow him to stick around long enough.

But the FF numbers are stupid, imo. I don't care if we lost by 1 or by 5, we still lost.

As for what others are saying about this team, I couldn't agree more about this Sioux team. In some ways it is a lot like the 1995 NJ Devils team or (using a different sport as a comparison) this year's Tampa Bay Devil Rays. Sure, the Devs had Brodeur in 95, but there wasn't any truly elite players on that team. Good ones, yes. Great ones? Not really.

This year's Sioux team's main asset is balance. We don't have a top tier scorer like Oshie, Toews, Zajac, Parise, etc (Duncan is the closest we get as it is too early to tell with our freshmen). We do have a balance from top to bottom.

I don't know what's in store for this year's team, but let's enjoy it while it lasts. Happiness is having one more game to play!

Last year's team is a great example of the Sioux hockey tradition and what can happen any time they lace up the skates. The 2008 Sioux peaked slightly before the NCAA tourney but they pulled it together and made it to the FF. Look at that game in Madison when they rallied to beat the Badgers. Wisc should have been ahead 5-0 going to the third, but Lamareaux kept them in it. Coming from behind in the playoffs is tough enough, but playing on enemy ice with only 20 minutes on the clock just shows you the grit that team had. St Cloud would have wet themselves and Minny would have have fired their asst coach, but not the Sioux. Those guys rallied and won the game.

So as for the 2009 Sioux, I believe that the same grit and determination is alive and well in their locker room. Right now they need to do what's necessary to win the Broadmoor Cup. After that, they need to do what's necessary to advance to the FF. And then, sometime in April if all goes well, I'll get back on line and continue this thread.

Go Sioux!