SiouxSports.com Forum

Final Five Lineup

stharish

You guys need to relax a little bit here...for the Goophs to play the night game Friday without playing the Sioux 2 out of 3 have to get upset...I don't see the BADgers, CC or DU getting knocked off this weekend. But crazy things happen...my predictions

Sioux over Tech in 2

DU over AA in 2

CC over UMD in 3

Wisco over MSU in 3

Goophers over Clown in 2

Goophers over CC on Thurs

DU over Wisco

Sioux over Goophers

Goophers over Wisco for Third

As much as I want to see that Sioux beating DU...I don't think they will

I'll take DU 3-2 in OT

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Gophers getting the Friday night game actually makes sense from an attendance and TV ratings perspective. Not to mention it would actually give a potential #1 seeded Sioux team an advantage to play the winner of Thursday night's 4 vs. 5 game on short rest Friday afternoon. Nothing to cry about.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there is a REALY good chance that the Sioux play Friday night! We have the #1 seed and would play whoever wins the play-in game on Thursday. And, since the Goofs finshed 5th, they would be the team playing Thursday which (if they won) would match up against us, THE SIOUX!

So what is the big? We're more than likely playing Friday night!?!?! :whistling:

ALTHOUGH, I'd rather focus on this weekends games and then worry about the Final Five. Sweep Tech!! GO SIOUX!

I will be in Phoenix F5 weekend. Which bars do the Sioux fans accumulate at to watch the games? I know there is at least one, but can't remember. Thanks.

RT O'Sullivan's in Mesa. I went there last year and it was great. Met a lot of ND fans, alum, and it was a good time.

I guess for the Gophers to get a #3 seed they would need two of the top four to lose in the best of three this weekend. Doubtful, but you never know. However unlikely that scenario might be, if it were to actually happen it would be a great advantage for a #1 seeded Sioux team to play a Friday afternoon game against the winner of Thursday night's play-in game. I can understand there might be a sense of jealousy or whatever you want to call it in regards to the Gophers always getting the Friday night game, but I really think that in the Final Five tournament the #1 seed has a greater advantage playing Friday afternoon. Give the winner of the play-in game the shortest amount of rest possible.

ya - who cares about the winner of Thursday's game - well this year anyway

let 'em play on 16 hours rest - they deserve it by not being from metropolitan minnesota and not finishing in the top three

I guess for the Gophers to get a #3 seed they would need two of the top four to lose in the best of three this weekend. Doubtful, but you never know. However unlikely that scenario might be, if it were to actually happen it would be a great advantage for a #1 seeded Sioux team to play a Friday afternoon game against the winner of Thursday night's play-in game. I can understand there might be a sense of jealousy or whatever you want to call it in regards to the Gophers always getting the Friday night game, but I really think that in the Final Five tournament the #1 seed has a greater advantage playing Friday afternoon. Give the winner of the play-in game the shortest amount of rest possible.

For the most part, I don't care about the "Minny Rule," but the reality is that when the Gophs end up as a #2 or #3 the "Minny Rule" screws the play-in winner pretty badly. As long as this rule is enforced, Minnesota is the only team in the league that will NEVER have to turn around on short rest and play Friday afternoon after winning the play-in game. That is where the rule is most unfair in my opinion.

For the most part, I don't care about the "Minny Rule," but the reality is that when the Gophs end up as a #2 or #3 the "Minny Rule" screws the play-in winner pretty badly. As long as this rule is enforced, Minnesota is the only team in the league that will NEVER have to turn around on short rest and play Friday afternoon after winning the play-in game. That is where the rule is most unfair in my opinion.

Well if they get into the tourney they will get the night game on Thursday.

And if they are lucky enough to win that game the will get the night game as well

probably against the number one seed.

Well if they get into the tourney they will get the night game on Thursday.

And if they are lucky enough to win that game the will get the night game as well

probably against the number one seed.

Yeah, I know how it works (been going since '99), but my point was that under NO circumstance in the future of the Final Five as we now know it will Minnesota EVER have to turn around and play a day game on Friday after a night game on Thursday. This does not apply to the other nine teams in the league, thus the unfairness of the rule. On the flip-side, when UM is the #1 seed they never have the opportunity to benefit from facing the Thursday night winner on Friday afternoon.

Yeah, I know how it works (been going since '99), but my point was that under NO circumstance in the future of the Final Five as we now know it will Minnesota EVER have to turn around and play a day game on Friday after a night game on Thursday. This does not apply to the other nine teams in the league, thus the unfairness of the rule. On the flip-side, when UM is the #1 seed they never have the opportunity to benefit from facing the Thursday night winner on Friday afternoon.

You need to email the AD's of these nine teams and complain to them about the rule because it is them who

vote in favor of the "Minnesota Rule". They vote in favor of it because all teams share the Final Five revenue

and they don't want to lose the money. Lucia himself has stated he does not like the format but it is the other Ad's (except Minnesota's, who votes against it) that want it.

You need to email the AD's of these nine teams and complain to them about the rule because it is them who

vote in favor of the "Minnesota Rule". They vote in favor of it because all teams share the Final Five revenue

and they don't want to lose the money. Lucia himself has stated he does not like the format but it is the other Ad's (except Minnesota's, who votes against it) that want it.

I'm not complaining about the rule, I'm just stating facts as to where the inconsistencies lie, that's all. The more money the tournament makes, the better as far as I'm concerned. Having it at the X rocks and I wouldn't change a thing.

I'm also not saying it's Minnesota's fault the rule exists, so no need to bring in the fact that Lucia doesn't like it.

IMHO, the Minnesota rule rocks. I fail to see how people can lose sleep over it. Just because Minn gets special treatment, its good for the league and doesn't really help them any so whats the big deal? Honest question, if there was a rule for UW or DU instead of Minn, would it really bother people as much? I tend to think not.

Here's how I see it going down:

UND in 2

DU in 2 (despite UAA being really tough right now)

UW in 2

UMD in 3 (what's going on with CC...I was impressed with them in GF, but now they're fading)

UMN in 3

Play-in game: UMD over UMN

Semi-final 1: UND over UMD

Semi-final 2: DU over UW

Third place: UW over UMD

Championship: UND over DU

Trophy #2 from the Triple Crown is secured. :D :D

Here's how I see it going down:

UND in 2

DU in 2 (despite UAA being really tough right now)

UW in 2

UMD in 3 (what's going on with CC...I was impressed with them in GF, but now they're fading)

UMN in 3

Play-in game: UMD over UMN

Semi-final 1: UND over UMD

Semi-final 2: DU over UW

Third place: UW over UMD

Championship: UND over DU

Trophy #2 from the Triple Crown is secured. ;):D

Sorry, but we are talking UMN in 2 and then win the play-in game :D

I guarantee victory tomorrow against SCARED St. Clown...

Sorry, but we are talking UMN in 2 and then win the play-in game :D

I guarantee victory tomorrow against SCARED St. Clown...

I can certainly revise my picks to have UMN lose the Semi-final and Third place games to close out their season. Doesn't matter to me either way. :D

I can certainly revise my picks to have UMN lose the Semi-final and Third place games to close out their season. Doesn't matter to me either way. :D

I'd prefer losing in the championship game if our season is going to be closed out after a F5 loss :D

A victory over UND is all I want, need some revenge.

I'd prefer losing in the championship game if our season is going to be closed out after a F5 loss :D

A victory over UND is all I want, need some revenge.

we can run AK for the 3rd time if you like :D you dont want to play the sioux. just worry about that play in game vs umd when they beat cc tonight then maybe just maybe you can get worked that friday night but i would put my money on the dawgz ;)

BABY STEPS gopherz

Assuming we win tonight, when is the earliest we will definitively know what game the Sioux are playing in on Friday? Will we know for sure on Monday or will we have to wait until after the Thursday game? I can't buy tickets to all five game right now and most likely can only go to the Friday game, so I want to get my tickets asap.

Assuming we win tonight, when is the earliest we will definitively know what game the Sioux are playing in on Friday? Will we know for sure on Monday or will we have to wait until after the Thursday game? I can't buy tickets to all five game right now and most likely can only go to the Friday game, so I want to get my tickets asap.

i would say you would have to wait im guessing to see if the gophers make the final 5 or not or how everything plays out with seedings if they do make it

If DU and UW both win tonight the Sioux play the night game Friday.

woud they no matter what? i thought the 1 seed got to play the early friday game in order to get more rest for title game saturday?? i may be wrong but thats the reason there is always debate with the gophers being in

woud they no matter what? i thought the 1 seed got to play the early friday game in order to get more rest for title game saturday?? i may be wrong but thats the reason there is always debate with the gophers being in

You're right. If no Minnesota, the games on Fri Afternoon are 1 vs 4 and Fri night are 2 vs 3. If Minnesota, afternoon game is no MN, night game is MN.

I'm almost positive. Assuming the Sioux win tonight they will automatically be in the semi-final game awaiting the winner of the quarter-final game Thursday. If DU, UW, and or CC all win there series this weekend all three of them will be higher seeds than the Goophers in the F5. I'm thinking the Sioux, UW, DU, and the Goophs will all sweep tonight, and I'm thinking CC is going to bounce back and win 2 in a row to just barely get in against UMD.

Heres what it would look like if my predictions are correct

Quarter-Final CC vs. Goophs

Semi-Final Game 1-DU vs. UW

Semi-Final Game 2-Sioux vs. Winner QF