SiouxSports.com Forum

West regional question

01grad

I really want to buy tickets to the games at Mariucci and I know that it is impossible to speculate whether the Sioux will be there or not, but what would the chances be that it might work out that way? I don't want to buy these tickets and then have us not be there and have to sell the tickets in order to watch our games on television if we are placed somewhere else. Looking at the current pairings from USCHO, it would be fantastic to see the Sioux there with Duluth, but how likely is it to play out this way? Hoping that the gophers keep playing the way they are and don't make it, would we hold the advantage of being the next WCHA team to play there or would they give it to another team? Would they put both us and another WCHA team there or split us up?

Just checking to see if the experts out there would be able comment on how safe it would be to buy some of these tickets. I am sure after this weekend it will be a little clearer, but I can' wait! Bring on the hockey now!!! Bottom line would probably be to hope the gophers keep sucking it up so their fans will sell theirs if the gophers don't make it. Or would their fans hold onto them just to get their hockey fix and cheer against us? How much would the WCHA final five play into this? If the gophers end up making it in there like last year by the skin of their teeth, would they automatically get into the NCAA's like Wisconsin instead of a smaller school like Mankato?

I know these ramblings seem a little out there, but I was just curious about some of these things given our recent success that will continue this weekend!

I can't handle these long weeks and have so much adrenaline and excitement for hockey by the end of the week, I feel like I am going to explode!!! I want to go onto the ice and hit somebody and get these games won!

it is my opinion that we won't be there unless we finish above all wcha schools in the pwr and the goofs don't make the tournament. as we all know, umn will be there if they make the tournament regardless of seed because they're the host school. if that's the case, it's doubtful that a higher seeded wcha team will be placed in that region.

if denver finishes ahead of us in the pwr, i don't see the selection crew placing us in their region, but i suppose they might.

i'd recommend waiting until after this weekend's games. if umn is still looking like a long shot to make the tournament and we close the gap between us and denver in the pwr, there's a decent chance we'll be playing in that region.

So would they put us in the west ahead of Denver even if they are ahead of us in power because of location as it is now in bracketology?

i think they would put us in the west regional only if we finish ahead of denver, but i'm not certain of that. we likely will have to finish ahead of all wcha teams in the pwr and the gophers would have to miss the tournament. anybody with more smarts on the topic out there?

i'm curious now myself.

I actually took the chance that they'll be going there and if they get sent elsewhere I'll give them to my brohter in law who lives in the cities. I say even if the goophs make it as long as we don't matchup with them in the first round I think there is a 75% chance we'll go there. I'm planning on going to whatever regional they get sent to.

I actually took the chance that they'll be going there and if they get sent elsewhere I'll give them to my brohter in law who lives in the cities. I say even if the goophs make it as long as we don't matchup with them in the first round I think there is a 75% chance we'll go there. I'm planning on going to whatever regional they get sent to.

I think you should be fine. I have a strong feeling that you'll have at least 1 team with a fanbase that can gobble up the ticketsif the Sioux aren't in Minneapolis, whether it be Minnesota, UMD, Wisconsin or SCSU. Just a hunch.

It sounds like you're betting that the Gophers do end up making the tourney. Although over 7,000 have already been sold for the regional, if the Gophers aren't there, it should be relatively easy acquiring one outside Mariucci or via the internet. I'll be there regardless, but I'm guessing I'm not in the majority when it comes to that course of action.

If UM doesn't make it, UND will be in the West. Remember this is the NC$$ we're dealing with! It will be all about the Benjamins if the Goph are out it.

that's an excellent point. aside from the goofs, the sioux would def draw the largest crowd to mpls among wcha teams, especially compared to denver. duluth might get the nod over us though, depending on where we each end up. if the sioux sweep this weekend and the gophers don't improve drastically in the pwr, my guess is we're in the west regional.

i'm getting excited just thinking about all the great hockey that's still left to be played. i think i've pin-pointed the two reasons a prefer college hockey to the nhl (i know this is off topic). 1. i went to und so my vested interest is larger and 2. nhl games are played every day. it's too hard to track. college hockey is more like football in that most games are only played on the weekend so you can keep up with them easier. i wish one of the cable or satellite companies would offer a college hockey package. they'd get my business.

Thanks for all the help! I will probably buy tickets after this weekend and wait to see how things play out. I guess it isn't that big of a deal buying them and selling them somehow if we need to.

if the goofs do sneak in you'll have no problem selling them. they're the biggest bunch of fair-weather fans on the planet. it's funny actually. i live in mpls and back in november friends and co-workers of mine were talking all kinds of trash about how awesome the gophers are and how the sioux were stinkin' it up. cut to last week and i confronted a few of them. without fail every one of them said something along the line of "who cares, i don't really watch college hockey anyways".

how lame is that? for umn fans, though, that's sop. anytime a gopher sport is heating up, i'm surrounded by "die-hard" fans. on the other hand, once their team starts slipping, they don't care anyways. what a joke.

i know there are true gopher hockey fans out there, but overall they can't compare to a sioux hockey fan. in fact, trying to find a fair-weather sioux hockey fan is nearly impossible. win or lose, sioux hockey fans have their team's back. that's the way it should be.

Well we ended up just buying the tickets. If the gophers do end up making it into the tourney somehow, it won't be tough to sell the tickets if the game times coincide with ours if we are placed in a different regional. There are still many tickets left, so if you are thinking about it there is still time, but it would be really fun if we are there with many Sioux fans! I wonder what the chances would be that we might be there with the gophers just like in Grand Forks and the Holy Cross year?

When will USCHO have their bracketology thing out this week and how accurate is that? Is this what they go by?

I had heard somebody else say that Denver would now be put into the West and not North Dakota. Is this right? I thought that as long as North Dakota is in and high in the rankings and the gophers are out, we would be in the West because the NCAA wants money and Denver fans would have to travel further anyway?

Just curious.

http://www.gophersports.com/ViewArticle.db...;ATCLID=1599662

Here is the link in case anybody else is interested in getting tickets. You can also call the gopher ticket office if you want.

The only thing I am worried about is that we aren't put in this regional and the gophers don't make it because then it might be a tougher ticket to sell. But hey, it is still college hockey and worth watching if the matchups are great!

When will USCHO have their bracketology thing out this week and how accurate is that? Is this what they go by?

I had heard somebody else say that Denver would now be put into the West and not North Dakota. Is this right? I thought that as long as North Dakota is in and high in the rankings and the gophers are out, we would be in the West because the NCAA wants money and Denver fans would have to travel further anyway?

Just curious.

its all speculation. there isnt any way to predict where any team is going except the host teams if they make the tourney. its a waiting game til bracket sunday after all conference tourneys are done

its all speculation. there isnt any way to predict where any team is going except the host teams if they make the tourney. its a waiting game til bracket sunday after all conference tourneys are done

yeah but it's so fun to speculate. what the hell else are we to do during the week. :(

Just curious.

late wed or thurs. and INCH comes out with theirs on fri.

yeah but it's so fun to speculate. what the hell else are we to do during the week. :(

oh i love speculating but he was asking if anything can help him know if the sioux will be in the west regional and the answer is no, you just have to wait til selection sunday

If UM doesn't make it, UND will be in the West. Remember this is the NC$$ we're dealing with! It will be all about the Benjamins if the Goph are out it.

That's a point well taken. What would be funny to me would be if the "FIGHTING SIOUX" were to win it all. Seeing the NC$$ with egg on their face that would be PRICELESS.

SIOUX FAN SINCE 1973.

Unless the gophers go to houghton and lay an egg this weekend they will get home ice and end playing a TUC team in the first round. so should the gophers get the X and win one game there I think they will get in as a 4 seed or possibly a low 3 seed.

Elaborating on what AZ said...

The bracketology articles are highly educated guesses as to how the teams selected by PWR* will be seeded. The big guys (e.g. USCHO, CHN) actually have conversations with people on the selection committee about their process, so their guesses are pretty good. However, they do sometimes transpose a couple teams, so I wouldn't book travel plans based on them.

At this point, though, they're really just "what if the season ended today" speculation produced for fun and to give insight into the process. There are dozens of games left to be played. PWR won't be predicting the correct field until the last conference tournament game (the day before selections?)

* The PairWise Ranking process (what we all refer to as PWR) simulates the selection process and has never picked a wrong team for inclusion in the tournament (though it isn't used for selection, so could be wrong).

Unless the gophers go to houghton and lay an egg this weekend they will get home ice and end playing a TUC team in the first round. so should they gophers get the X and win one game there I think they will get in as a 4 seed or possibly a low 3 seed.

I don't think UMD is going to lose to AA this weekend so the Gophers need 2 wins at 'Tech - when is the last time they had a road sweep? The last team to sweep Tech at home was Denver the begining of Dec.

It won't be easy to get 4 points at Tech - one 3rd period rally doesn't turn your season around.

I don't think UMD is going to lose to AA this weekend so the Gophers need 2 wins at 'Tech - when is the last time they had a road sweep? The last team to sweep Tech at home was Denver the begining of Dec.

It won't be easy to get 4 points at Tech - one 3rd period rally doesn't turn your season around.

UAA has played very well of late(including against us) I wouldn't book 4 points in Duluth's column just yet either. The fun part about this years WCHA tournament is that for the most part it will be like the NCAA tournament-lose and go home for certain teams. I would love to be at the X this year however my job won't allow me to that weekend.

Elaborating on what AZ said...

The bracketology articles are highly educated guesses as to how the teams selected by PWR* will be seeded. The big guys (e.g. USCHO, CHN) actually have conversations with people on the selection committee about their process, so their guesses are pretty good. However, they do sometimes transpose a couple teams, so I wouldn't book travel plans based on them.

At this point, though, they're really just "what if the season ended today" speculation produced for fun and to give insight into the process. There are dozens of games left to be played. PWR won't be predicting the correct field until the last conference tournament game (the day before selections?)

* The PairWise Ranking process (what we all refer to as PWR) simulates the selection process and has never picked a wrong team for inclusion in the tournament (though it isn't used for selection, so could be wrong).

I'm booking my travel plans on March 22.