SiouxSports.com Forum

West regional question

01grad

So if the Sioux win the WCHA, do we automatically get a number one seed, thus putting us in the closer regional (Minneapolis) or does Denver get that spot over us because they have a higher overall power ranking?

The four top teams in PWR get the four #1 spots.

First round conference matchups are avoided, so, with only 3 WCHA teams in right now, that's unlikey to cause a problem. However, a conference with 4 or more teams in may end up with a conference first round matchup, and that could cause the Sioux to be swapped with one of those teams and sent to a different regional.

Impossible to predict until the conference tourneys are completed.

So if the Sioux win the WCHA, do we automatically get a number one seed, thus putting us in the closer regional (Minneapolis) or does Denver get that spot over us because they have a higher overall power ranking?

no, it all depends on where you end up in the pairwise rankings after all games have been played after conference tourneys

usually how it goes

1-4 in pairwise get #1 seeds

5-8 in pairwise get #2 seeds

9-12 in pairwise get #3 seeds

13-14 get #4 seeds

#15 and 16 usually are the 2 conference tourney winners from the 2 smaller conferences but sometimes not if those conferences has a couple solid pairwise ranking teams

so...........if a team thats not in the top 14 in pairwise rankings lets say sneaks up in their respective conference tourney and wins it they get a automatic bid into the NCAA tourney so if that happens then the top 13 instead of 14 lets say for example would get into ncaa tourney and that team that was at #14 gets bumped out due to a suprise conference toruney winner as all conference tourney winners get automatic ncaa tourney bids. hope that helps and makes sense. but usually the conference tourney winners are teams that probably are already going to be in the tourney but you neevr know. thats why every conference tourney has automatic bids

So there is a slim chance that we will play at Mariucci because it would be very unlikely for us to get a #1 seed because we won't be able to crack the top 4 in power and more than likely we will be a #2 seed if we sweep next weekend. If they don't want to put WCHA teams together and Denver would be the top seed, it is looking more like we will be someplace else unless they realize that we will have more fans than Denver and put them someplace else and make us the WCHA team if the gophers don't make it. I guess this is all making sense to me, but it is tough to figure out until everything is finished I guess. I just thought it this would be easier.

So there is a slim chance that we will play at Mariucci because it would be very unlikely for us to get a #1 seed because we won't be able to crack the top 4 in power and more than likely we will be a #2 seed if we sweep next weekend. If they don't want to put WCHA teams together and Denver would be the top seed, it is looking more like we will be someplace else unless they realize that we will have more fans than Denver and put them someplace else and make us the WCHA team if the gophers don't make it. I guess this is all making sense to me, but it is tough to figure out until everything is finished I guess. I just thought it this would be easier.

I think the only teams you can count on knowing where they will play would be Yale and NH, if they both make the tournament. BU likely is in Manchester, unless UNH falls to a 4 seed and the committe wants to avoid a 1st round conf matchup. Then they could go to Bridgeport - if Yale is #4 seed then BU would then have to face the host team in the 1st round. I don't think the NCAA wants to send BU to Grand Rapids or Mlps. It would be a real head scratcher for the committe if this scenario plays out.

I think the only teams you can count on knowing where they will play would be Yale and NH, if they both make the tournament. BU likely is in Manchester, unless UNH falls to a 4 seed and the committe wants to avoid a 1st round conf matchup. Then they could go to Bridgeport - if Yale is #4 seed then BU would then have to face the host team in the 1st round. I don't think the NCAA wants to send BU to Grand Rapids or Mlps. It would be a real head scratcher for the committe if this scenario plays out.

I thought it was more of the NCAA not wanting a potential top seed overall like BU facing a host team on its home ice(i.e BU having to face the gophers at Marriucci). I don't think the Yard is Yale's home ice.