SiouxSports.com Forum

Overheard conversation between McLeod and Shepherd

Stack

Sitting down for breakfast at the Airport Marriott in Minnesapolis this past Friday 1/30/09, I happened to hear a couple of gentlemen talking hockey mainly about the UND/Denver series and the aftermath. I slowly turned my head and lo and behold who was it but WCHA commissioner Bruce McLeod and head of officials Greg Shepherd. Of course my ears perked up to see what I coulld hear as I kept my back turned and tried not to let on that I was listening. Mr Shepherd says: "You remember when Bob Johnson walked on the ice right? I don't see what the big deal is now. Why are people complaining about what George got. We as a league only make recommendations and it's up to the schools to decide what penalties to give their players and coaches." Mr McLeod mainly agrees with uh huhs and yeses. Then Mr Shepherd says "What do you think people would say if we told them about all of the emails we've been getting to toss North Dakota out of the league?"

My mouth sort of dropped at that and I tried to hear more but the server brought us our check then and we had to leave.

The impression I had was that Mr. Shepherd was a little peeved about the many complaints that everyone had about the league and how they were handling the Denver/UND series from the week before. The impression I got from Mr McLeod is that he was taking it all in but really was not that upset about what was going on in the media and was ok with how things turned out.

And to those fans sending emails to toss North Dakota out of the league: FOR WHAT! Our team wasn't the one that lost it's cool and got many chippy penalties because they were getting beat. Our coach did not go ballistic with choking signs to the refs and then walk out onto the ice and afterwards break NCAA rules by coaching from the press box after an ejection, etc. Denver and it's coach lost their composure and their heads and looked like fools for doing it. Should we ask the WCHA to toss Denver out of the league? Of course not. What foolishness.

So then we probably shouldn't expect a suspension for Schack then? These guys have got to go. Enough is enough.

Goon,you shouldn't get so worked up over something you know probably isn't going to happen in the first place. on a side note,didn't Gerbe get suspended last year by York or Hockey East for something that happened during a game?

Sitting down for breakfast at the Airport Marriott in Minnesapolis this past Friday 1/30/09, I happened to hear a couple of gentlemen talking hockey mainly about the UND/Denver series and the aftermath. I slowly turned my head and lo and behold who was it but WCHA commissioner Bruce McLeod and head of officials Greg Shepherd. Of course my ears perked up to see what I coulld hear as I kept my back turned and tried not to let on that I was listening. Mr Shepherd says: "You remember when Bob Johnson walked on the ice right? I don't see what the big deal is now. Why are people complaining about what George got. We as a league only make recommendations and it's up to the schools to decide what penalties to give their players and coaches." Mr McLeod mainly agrees with uh huhs and yeses. Then Mr Shepherd says "What do you think people would say if we told them about all of the emails we've been getting to toss North Dakota out of the league?"

My mouth sort of dropped at that and I tried to hear more but the server brought us our check then and we had to leave.

The impression I had was that Mr. Shepherd was a little peeved about the many complaints that everyone had about the league and how they were handling the Denver/UND series from the week before. The impression I got from Mr McLeod is that he was taking it all in but really was not that upset about what was going on in the media and was ok with how things turned out.

And to those fans sending emails to toss North Dakota out of the league: FOR WHAT! Our team wasn't the one that lost it's cool and got many chippy penalties because they were getting beat. Our coach did not go ballistic with choking signs to the refs and then walk out onto the ice and afterwards break NCAA rules by coaching from the press box after an ejection, etc. Denver and it's coach lost their composure and their heads and looked like fools for doing it. Should we ask the WCHA to toss Denver out of the league? Of course not. What foolishness.

What do you think Sheppard would say about all the message boards that think both he and McLeod are the problem with the league. They are part of a structure that has no accountability for poor officiating, which leads to many of the on-ice problems.

It makes perfect sense that people have been emailing to get North Dakota out of the league. I guarantee 99.99% of those emails are from fans whose teams got destroyed by UND. They feel without us they can actually win. But seriously that is pretty sad. I look at it this way. When you are an elite program you are going to get people who would like nothing more than to tear you down.

Why would it be closed? It is a legit discussion. I don't get this logic that the refs are beyond criticism?

they aren't and it is a legit discussuion but you could probably go to at least 3 or 4 different threads over the last two weeks and find the same discussion. and this discussion is like the old saying beating a dead horse.

they aren't and it is a legit discussuion but you could probably go to at least 3 or 4 different threads over the last two weeks and find the same discussion. and this discussion is like the old saying beating a dead horse.

Didn't they close all of those? :D:D

There are more Gopher fans out there they you can shake a stick at. Each year their dream season gets a reality check when it comes time to play North Dakota. Where do you think all those emails are coming from.

Gopher hockey = Entitlement hockey

There are more Gopher fans out there they you can shake a stick at. Each year their dream season gets a reality check when it comes time to play North Dakota. Where do you think all those emails are coming from.

I have a hard time believing alot of those e-mails would be coming from Gopher fans. I for one love the rivalry and would never want to see UND kicked out of the league, even if UND has pretty much owned us the last few years. I can't belive Mcloed and Shep would even bring that up. I bet all the e-mails are coming from Jutting.....he's constantly complaining about something.

I have a hard time believing alot of those e-mails would be coming from Gopher fans. I for one love the rivalry and would never want to see UND kicked out of the league, even if UND has pretty much owned us the last few years. I can't belive Mcloed and Shep would even bring that up. I bet all the e-mails are coming from Jutting.....he's constantly complaining about something.

It could be or the DU fans.

At least we can make fun of USCHO for peeing all over themselves in excitement that the Beanpot is on.

The Beanpot is on NESN for those that get it. Harvard with a quick start was up 2-0 in the 2nd vs. BU, but BU has tied it at 2 after two. BC/Northeastern starts later.