SiouxSports.com Forum

Moving to Minot, ND

wvkeeper

I am moving to Minot in the Spring. Any advice you North Dakotan's can give me?

First, get a membership to Minot Country Club. A top 5 golf course in the state. Second, cherish every day you get to play cause their is a limited number. Finally, go south from November 15th to March 15th. Do those 3 things and you'll love living in North Dakota. ???

First, get a membership to Minot Country Club. A top 5 golf course in the state. Second, cherish every day you get to play cause their is a limited number. Finally, go south from November 15th to March 15th. Do those 3 things and you'll love living in North Dakota. ???

I moved the family to Minot after swearing I would never move back home. I have to say I like it about 100X better than I ever thought I would. Lots of places to golf, three pretty decent-sized lakes within a couple of hours. Just close your eyes through certain parts of town and you'll be set.

When you get here, you have to go to Mystic Horizons. It is up north of Bottineau, North Dakota (up by the International Peace Gardens). It is this place built so that at each of the solstices, every thing lines up so you can see it....it is hard to explain because I don't really understand it. Also, Bottineau features Lake Metigoshe for lake activities in the summer and sking/snowmobiling/other winter activities in the winter. There is also the Brentwood Golf Course, i am told that it is a good one by golfers that I know. And the Peace Gardens which are east of Bottineau are always a good draw.

Siouxmamma- I think I know which place you are referring to and I believe that it closed...he was the one in the accident woth a train? and he was injured really bad and he built the restaurant with his money?

I grew up in that area and always liked Minot. Lots of memories of Dakota Square (the aforementioned mall). There are several good golf courses in town and more in the nearby communities. You are only 45 minutes from Lake Sakakawea and some of the best fishing on the planet. In addition to the state fair in the summer, there is the Norsk Hostfest, a large Scandinavian cultural festival. You are also only about 90 minutes from skiing at Bottineau Winter Park (no it's not the Alps, but something to do outdoors when it isn't too cold).

Depending on where you are coming from housing prices will also be much lower than you are used to. This is even more so if you choose to live in a smaller community and commute to Minot. Anywhere with 50 miles is still a reasonable commute as traffic doesn't exist and you are travelling on four lane highways from the east, west and south.

North Dakota is a great place to live. Don't let people freak you out about the weather, you CAN get used to it. And on the excessively cold days just make sure you've got some movies or a game to watch and you can get through it.

Siouxmamma- I think I know which place you are referring to and I believe that it closed...he was the one in the accident woth a train? and he was injured really bad and he built the restaurant with his money?

You guys are thinking of Sportsworld, which no longer exists. Chad Yale started it, but sold out. The building is now occupied by Up the Creek and Space Aliens.