SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX/GOPHERS SATURDAY

gfhockey

hey Dave, just watch all the Gopher games except the ones when they play the Sioux and maybe you will feel better.

and another thing, why aren't you going ballistic over Schack beating up Frattin? same situation except that Schack actually DID what Jones only TRIED TO DO.

I'm very interested to know why you are so worked up over Jones but not Schack. It's probably because everybody has it in their subconcsious that the sioux are goons and the gophers are golden. and its because of people like you and other gopher fans mainly, that the sioux have such a reputation and such a hard time.

• Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dave. you say we're all biased, but you don't say anything about what the Gophers did.

It's ridiculous on its face when we see you post like that.

We have a good bingo. He won't change so all we can do is ignore him. :D

DaveK thinks the Sioux are the ones that are at fault here. :silly:

If we call the Goofs out we are being biased. :silly:

Thanks for the vids Jim. Get used to it again UND fans. You kick a teams ass all weekend combined with old school WCHA reffing your boys are going to face a ton of stick work the rest of the way. Jones was hilarious.

These guys are nasty and cheap especially when getting pounded all weekend. No shocking result there. Again get used to it. It's part of hockey like it or not.

No, you are the one who is watching the wrong sport. You really need to watch a boxing match. It will provide you with all of the gratuitous violence that you obviously crave. :silly:

DaveK, just picked up your dry cleaning along with mine at Leaf Cleaners on the south side. The gal asked me if the dresses and the lingerie were my wife's as she thought they were very nice and elegant. I told her no and that they were just my hockey buddy's. :D Wouldn't have picked you for a floral pattern and chiffon type of guy! :silly:

That's right, it isn't as bad. It was done with gloves and helmet on while the puck was in play. If Jones had retaliated by doing something to Lucia with gloves and helmet on while the puck was in play, I would have respected that.

If you knew anything about hockey you would know that you can do a lot of damage with a stick, jesus. that's breathtaking ignorance

One thing that really stood out all weekend was how many blocked shots we had. They haven't put themselves in front of pucks all season like they did this weekend. I really hope they continue to put that effort into their defense. It will really pay dividends down the stretch.

In the Frozen Four last year, how many of Genoway's blocked shots from the point resulted in odd-man rushes for BC, leading towards more comments against Finley's play. Finley got blamed for Genoway's forced shots. I wish people would watch the whole play. Even the first month and a half of the season Genoway continued to do that. He's since looked for better oppurtunities, resulting in better scoring chances for both him and other teammates.

It's little things like that that really add up. Throw in some hustle and you got yourself a good ol' fashioned Gopher ass-whoopin!

I think Genoway has shown much improvement, even from the beginning of this season. I will be hard pressed to forget the giveaways at last year's Frozen Four, but then again, I don't believe he was at 100%. In hindsight, perhaps he shouldn't have played.

Lucia's spear was bush league, no doubt. But Jones didn't have to go and try to one-up him with conduct that was far more bush league than the spear. I hope that Coach Hakstol has a long talk with Zach and makes it very clear to him that here at the University of North Dakota we expect our student athletes to display better sportsmanship than that. I was extremely disappointed in Zach's ridiculous antics in the 3rd period of Saturday's game. It was the only blemish on an otherwise great weekend for the Sioux.

Loved seeing what Jones did, after seeing one of our smallest players lying on the ice from a cheapo. I was very disappointed that the ref's didn't let Jones tear Lucia's head off, frankly. I've been watching that kid for years, and have developed a distinct distaste for the guy.

I think if you asked Steve Moore he would tell you otherwise. Anybody who says people don't get hurt in fistfights is a liar.

NO BODY SAID THEY WEREN'T.

But you can cut someone wide open with a Carbon Fiber stick. They are made out of metal fiber.

That's right, it isn't as bad. It was done with gloves and helmet on while the puck was in play. If Jones had retaliated by doing something to Lucia with gloves and helmet on while the puck was in play, I would have respected that.

That is possibly the dumbest thing I've ever read. You honestly believe that cheap shots and stick play is a better way to settle things than a man to man fight. I don't condone cheap play or fighting in general, but when something happens you step up and let the best man win, not spear someone and run behind the ref.

There is nothing cheap about putting a vicious hit on a player while the puck is in play. This just in... hockey is a rough game. People need to stop getting their panties in a wad every time a player gets roughed up within the context of the game. The ironic thing is that those people who get their panties in a wad over that kind of stuff are the same ones who advocate the vigilante tactics. So I guess the message is that violence within the context of the game is unacceptable, but fist fights are okay? Makes no sense at all. :silly:

No, the only kind of acceptable violence is the kind that occurs within the context of the game. Two guys dropping their gloves and beating the living snot out of each other on the ice is just as barbaric as two guys beating the living snot out of each other in a parking lot. And guess what happens when you do that kind of garbage in a parking lot? Somebody calls the cops and you go to jail. That is not acceptable behavior for human beings. If you want to hit somebody in a hockey game, the only acceptable way to do it is WITHIN THE CONTEXT OF THE GAME!!! :silly:

End or rant, and off my soapbox. I realize that bloodthirsty people will continue to be bloodthirsty no matter what I say, but just the same whenever a member of my favorite team commits a classless act I feel the need to speak out against it.

I suggest that you go watch figure skating.

That is possibly the dumbest thing I've ever read.

I have faith that he will top that statement with another silly comment.

He can't be serious. Apparently DaveK thinks that when a player leg checks or spears someone they should

just accept it. I wonder if he is drink the Hill Koolaide? Trupp was acting.

There is nothing cheap about putting.....

Sweet you're gonna stay on that ledge of "as long as it's in the context of the game it's legal"

So when McSorley knocked out Brashear(right?) with a stick to the side of the head, that was perfectly fine?

Spearing, Butt-ending, slashing, cross checking, contact to the knee, contact to the head, slew-footing are really just guidelines.

You can injure a guy severely with any of the above infractions.

There is nothing cheap about putting a vicious hit on a player while the puck is in play. This just in... hockey is a rough game. People need to stop getting their panties in a wad every time a player gets roughed up within the context of the game. The ironic thing is that those people who get their panties in a wad over that kind of stuff are the same ones who advocate the vigilante tactics. So I guess the message is that violence within the context of the game is unacceptable, but fist fights are okay? Makes no sense at all. :silly:

No, the only kind of acceptable violence is the kind that occurs within the context of the game. Two guys dropping their gloves and beating the living snot out of each other on the ice is just as barbaric as two guys beating the living snot out of each other in a parking lot. And guess what happens when you do that kind of garbage in a parking lot? Somebody calls the cops and you go to jail. That is not acceptable behavior for human beings. If you want to hit somebody in a hockey game, the only acceptable way to do it is WITHIN THE CONTEXT OF THE GAME!!! :silly:

End or rant, and off my soapbox. I realize that bloodthirsty people will continue to be bloodthirsty no matter what I say, but just the same whenever a member of my favorite team commits a classless act I feel the need to speak out against it.

I don't disagree with this post. I don't go to a game to see a fight. That said, I'd rather have two guys square off than cheap shot someone in "the context of the game." There are unwritten rules to fighting as well.

I don't see taking off the helmets and gloves and squaring off face to face as classless. I see spearing, be it Pprich or Lucia, as classless.

Where did I say spear him? I said get him with a vicious hit. Go back and re-read what was posted next time before you decide to put words in somebody's mouth.

Yeah a vicious crosscheck to the head or try to blow a guy's ACL out, that's so much more sophisticated

you're losing

edit: let me be clear, I (and Im sure every one else) dont LIKE FIGHTING. but I also dont like when players get hurt in other ways on the ice. One person in this thread is minimizing one group of injuries it seems and it's not me. it's you who are minimizing the seriousness of in-game infractions and resultant injuries.

What would I do in that situation? I'm glad you asked. I would wait for an opportunity to lay a vicious hit on that player within the context of the game while the puck is in play. Any player wants to go around punching people in the face is obviously participating in the wrong sport. Those players need to trade in their hockey gloves for boxing gloves. Dropping the gloves and going after an opponent shows a blatant disrespect to the game of hockey.

That's maybe how one would write the script, but unfortunatlely a large majority of the time that vicious hit comes as a crushing checking from behind or boarding with intent to injure (just ask Bina) because the player hasn't had a chance to cool down and will take the next opportunity to deliver redemption at whatever cost. If the refs let two players go at it right away, they are usually over and down with it and nobody is critically wounded. And the rest of the team is not brought into the fracas!

I don't want to see anybody severely injured. I just want to see a hard but clean hit WITHIN THE CONTEXT OF THE GAME.

Deliberately spearing a defenseless opponent is not within the context of the game. Calling out the offending ass is within both the context and "code" of the game! End of story. You don't get too much do you DaveK. There is little doubt by Jones' reaction that Lucia agreed to go at it then pussed out. But again Jones' reaction is the greater transgression than the actual spear?