SiouxSports.com Forum

Time for the Fire Hakstol thread

Goon

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is bull$hit hockey, you can't score with three guys below the goal line. I think Hak has run out of Blais recruits and now geez he doesn't know what to do, awful powerplay, can't score on 5 on 5. Time to change it up and Hak doesn't change a things especially his expression. They can't pass, can't score and can't play physical not a good combo. I hope Tim H reads this again and blasts me on the radio for it cause this just sucks. No fire in this team what so ever.

We do or else 3 more will spawn and take its place.

I'm thinking about asking Jim to tack this thread to the first page to prevent redundant Fire Hakstol threads.

I revived it to keep three from popping up. :silly: great minds think alike.

This is bull$hit hockey, you can't score with three guys below the goal line. I think Hak has run out of Blais recruits and now geez he doesn't know what to do, awful powerplay, can't score on 5 on 5. Time to change it up and Hak doesn't change a things especially his expression. They can't pass, can't score and can't play physical not a good combo. I hope Tim H reads this again and blasts me on the radio for it cause this just sucks. No fire in this team what so ever.

A coach can get as angry as he wants, if the team doesn't score, the team doesn't win. But I love the judging a coach by his expression thing.

Next thing you know it will be the reason why we didn't win the past frozen fours was because of the tie he wore to the game. :rolleye:

Go cool off. Every team has rough patches or even rough seasons. We don't know how this season will play out yet.

And Hakstol recruited a ton of players under Blais. Many of them great. Unless you can provide a list of which players Blais recruited and which ones Hak recruited while under Blais, that claim is bogus and unsubstantiated.

We lost. Oh well. Next game.

Maybe if the coach would show some fire his players would also. In the five years he has been here he never changes things during the game, same old same old. I know we can't win every game but at least look like your trying to.

And that's all that matters.

You're right. Fire Hakstol. Instead, hire Jack Nicholsen and make him wear his Marine uniform from a Few Good Men to every game. Then you'll get what you want.

:silly:

I'm going to do what every great fan does: Be disappointed at the loss, sure, but have faith in the coach and its players. If the worst happens, and the Sioux have a bad year, they have a bad year. They've had bad years before and they're bound to happen again. They'll bounce back, and I'll find the positive in everything they do. I guess that's what makes me a homer.

Oh well. Better to live in my own little world than to live in one where you're always embittered and pointing fingers.

The biggest difference this year has been

Goaltending. We really miss Lameroux.

If we can get the goaltending straightened

out we should be fine. Normally when

you outshoot the other team every

game you win more than you lose.

Goaltending has nothing to do with it. Eidsness has played great. Definitely better than we could have expected coming from a freshman goalie thrown into the fire of WCHA games.

The trouble this year has been our inability to score (Duncan, VV, Kozek, Trupp, etc) and defensive mistakes at key times. Correct those issues...and then we would be fine. You can't win many games only scoring 1 or 2 goals...

Goaltending has nothing to do with it. Eidsness has played great. Definitely better than we could have expected coming from a freshman goalie thrown into the fire of WCHA games.

The trouble this year has been our inability to score (Duncan, VV, Kozek, Trupp, etc) and defensive mistakes at key times. Correct those issues...and then we would be fine. You can't win many games only scoring 1 or 2 goals...

Agreed.

I think what you just said contradicts itself as you feel the need to make an excuse for him.

Lets look at the stats

J.P. Lamoureux 1.75 GAA .932 save pct

Brad Eidsness 2.95 GAA .898 save pct

Average shots per game faced

Last year 25.5

This year 27

But statistically this year we have

been taking on average one more penalty

per game than last year, which could easily

account for the extra 1.5 shots allowed per game.

Look at the 2 of the goals given up last Saturday

on Shots from the point. Defensively WE HAVE

BEEN sound.

Now lets look at the offense

Average Shots per game

Last year 29.6

This year 34.2

Almost 5 more shots per game we have been taking

Avg Goals per game

Last year 3.0

This year 2.5

Offensively we are getting our chances. Yes we need

to finish but the boys are working hard on both ends

of the ice. Sometimes teams go through stretches

where they can't bury the puck, but mark my words,

things will turn around and pucks will start going in.

Most of these posts are based on just your emotions

look at the facts and the stats and take the emotion

out of it. This IS a good team, and WILL start

winning.

I think what you just said contradicts itself as you feel the need to make an excuse for him.

Lets look at the stats

J.P. Lamoureux 1.75 GAA .932 save pct

Brad Eidsness 2.95 GAA .898 save pct

Average shots per game faced

Last year 25.5

This year 27

But statistically this year we have

been taking on average one more penalty

per game than last year, which could easily

account for the extra 1.5 shots allowed per game.

Look at the 2 of the goals given up last Saturday

on Shots from the point. Defensively WE HAVE

BEEN sound.

Average Shots per game

Last year 29.6

This year 34.2

Avg Goals per game

Last year 3.0

This year 2.5

Offensively we are getting our chances. Yes we need

to finish but the boys are working hard on both ends

of the ice. Sometimes teams go through stretches

where they can't bury the puck, but mark my words,

things will turn around and pucks will start going in.

Most of these posts are based on just your emotions

look at the facts and the stats and take the emotion

out of it. This IS a good team, and WILL start

winning.

All I'm going to say to this is wow. Just wow... :lol:

A coach can get as angry as he wants, if the team doesn't score, the team doesn't win. But I love the judging a coach by his expression thing.

Next thing you know it will be the reason why we didn't win the past frozen fours was because of the tie he wore to the game. :rolleye:

Go cool off. Every team has rough patches or even rough seasons. We don't know how this season will play out yet.

And Hakstol recruited a ton of players under Blais. Many of them great. Unless you can provide a list of which players Blais recruited and which ones Hak recruited while under Blais, that claim is bogus and unsubstantiated.

We lost. Oh well. Next game.

Hak may have recruited players under the Blais regime, but I wonder who told Hak where to go, who to look at, and I especially wonder who had final say on signing players. Hmmmmmm, I'll take who is Dean Blais for $500 Alex.

I didn't make an excuse for him at all. I said that he has performed better than what we could have expected him to in the pre-season as a freshman. How is that an excuse if he has exceeded expectations (for me, at least)?

You can throw out all the goalie stats you like, but the fact of the matter is that we aren't going to beat many teams when we only score 3 goals in a series against the (former) 9th place WCHA team.

At least we can look on the bright side...after 10 WCHA games played, we are only 4 points behind 2nd place. :lol:

Now this is a positive way of looking at things! :lol:

Hopefully we can turn things around now and starting scoring more!

GO SIOUX

It is time to take the bull by the horn, everyone should call into the Fighting Sioux coaches show and start asking some tough questions.

This the 5th year in a row we have had to stomach this crap...

Hak may have recruited players under the Blais regime, but I wonder who told Hak where to go, who to look at, and I especially wonder who had final say on signing players. Hmmmmmm, I'll take who is Dean Blais for $500 Alex.

Not only that, but many came here because they wanted to play for Blais. We're out of Blue Chippers and it shows. We had better have a crapload of talent coming in next year or we are in for a long dry spell. This year's sophs and juniors are not the foundation for any kind of championship. We need to pick up the recruiting.

We're out of Blue Chippers and it shows. We had better have a crapload of talent coming in next year or we are in for a long dry spell.

We do. Both Kristo and Cichy would be considered Blue Chippahs in my opinion. Gleason, MacWilliam, and Mattson aren't so bad either. :lol:

We do. Both Kristo and Cichy would be considered Blue Chippahs in my opinion. Gleason, MacWilliam, and Mattson aren't so bad either. :lol:

I think I would agree with you there as well... UND has won championship with less talent than is on this team.

I don't know why people don't think this team isn't talented. By the way C.C. is having trouble scoring goals as well...

What I find most irritating about Hakstol is the constant, mind-numbing coachspeak you get from him. Hak can talk all he wants about "Working extremely hard" and "Accountability up and down the line-up" and whatever else he comes up with, but until this team develops a level of game in and game out consistency, our goals and expectations will have to be dialed back not just for this season but for the foreseeable future as well. I don't expect Hakstol to be a Blais clone or anything like that, he has to be his own man. But there is no reason that we can't get better results than we have been getting with the facilities we have and the reputation of excellence we have built up over the years. If Hak can't get it done with those advantages, I don't know if he is head coaching material at this level.

I think I would agree with you there as well... UND has won championship with less talent than is on this team.

I don't know why people don't think this team isn't talented. By the way C.C. is having trouble scoring goals as well...

Through 12 games -

Frattin 2 goals, Martins - 2, Kozak - 2, Watkins - 1, Zajac - 1, Trupp - 0, Davidson - 1, Malone - 1. In fact, no one has more than 4 goals. They may have talent based on expectations comming in, but there ain't nobody getting better here. I get the fact that everyone has good stats when recruited, but we have a lack of firepower. Who is living up to expectations among upper classmen so far? Anyone having a breakout season? It seem to me that either our talent is way down, or we have an extreme group of underachievers. With Blais, you could count on player development.

Average Shots per game

Last year 29.6

This year 34.2

Avg Goals per game

Last year 3.0

This year 2.5

Interesting stats, but I do think that before we jump to any conclusions we have to consider all variables - one of which is that it could be that the oppositions goaltenders are better than they were last year!

In the spirit of statistics, or perhaps trivia for this stage of the season, I did some comparisons between this year's Sioux team and that of the number one team in the nation. It appears that after 12 games team stats look like this: their team is comprised of 40.0% of upper classman, ours has 41.2% in that category (which means they have approximately 60% underclassman and we have about 59%). From a contributed points perspective they are getting about 62.2% of their points from the upperclassman (or about 38% from their underclassman) while we are getting about 67% from our upperclassman (and about 33% from our underclassman). Not a big difference. If we want to make a big deal about the recruiting class, approximately 41% of the goofs team is freshman and they have contributed about 24% of the points (one player has contributed 17% of the teams total points - Schroeder). In terms of points, Schroeder has talled 17 of the freshman's 25 points. For the Sioux our (non-goaltenders) freshman comprise 25% of the team and they have contributed 20% of the teams points. What is equally interesting is that the goofs have 2 seniors who have contributed a whopping 1 point. We have 7 seniors that have contributed 41% of our total points.

Interesting trivia. While we may not be that for off in terms of percentages, they have 103 points after 12 games and we have 70. We have work to do.