SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX @ COLORADO COLLEGE

AZSIOUX

3699.jpgVS 3682.jpg

The Sioux head to the springs after splitting with UW at home this last weekend. The Sioux are only averaging 2.16 goals per game while giving up 3.83 goals per game..time to start lighting the lamp...will we see both goalies..will big joe be back from his concussion.......CC has a strong team and is coming off a friday 2-2 tie at DU and a 3-2 win on Sunday vs DU. CC hasn't loss this season yet so lets hope the Sioux can reverse that trend. CC is #1 in the nation. Another big series with important WCHA points on the line. A split is my call but of course if they can pull a W off friday then you get greedy :lol: GO SIOUX......

WCHA STANDINGS

WEBCAST INFO

und.gif

Overall Record: 2-4-0 (.333)

WCHA: 2-2-0, 4 points

Home: 1-1-0

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the key to this upcoming series is our D controlling the puck and making good outlet passes. From what I saw this weekend(watching the majority of both CC-DU games on TV) I thought that DU was the better team but CC capitalizes on turnovers and their speed to find the back of the net and also relies heavily on Bachman. We will need to get a lot of traffic in front of Bachman in order to get some by him as he was almost unbeatable this weekend even though I thought he let in one weak one last night. I think the key is for our D as well as our forwards to make sure we get the puck in deep and not have many neutral zone turnovers. If they can do that which is a big IF, I think we will be alright. I was much more impressed with Denver than I was CC.

I think the key to this upcoming series is our D controlling the puck and making good outlet passes. From what I saw this weekend(watching the majority of both CC-DU games on TV) I thought that DU was the better team but CC capitalizes on turnovers and their speed to find the back of the net and also relies heavily on Bachman. We will need to get a lot of traffic in front of Bachman in order to get some by him as he was almost unbeatable this weekend even though I thought he let in one weak one last night. I think the key is for our D as well as our forwards to make sure we get the puck in deep and not have many neutral zone turnovers. If they can do that which is a big IF, I think we will be alright. I was much more impressed with Denver than I was CC.

however the sign of a good team is to pull out a win when even when the other team looks more impressive then you. cc did that.

Is that a prediction or gospel? Just wondering. I think we have the best chance with B.E. in the net and with Finley patroling the blue line.

BE should be in net both nights as I don't blame him for the loss on saturday as he wasn't given much help. that being said Hak said this numerous times over the past few years a teams best penalty killer is it's goaltender and BE still needs to develop into that. I'm much more concerned about the defensive lapses we had on Sat and Friday for that matter. Any chance that when Finley comes back to move Genoway to forward where he would be a much betetr help to this team instead of being a pylon that skaters just go around.

Here are numbers that need to change to become a contender this year

Special Teams

Power Play 5/46 10.9

Penalty Kill 26/33 78.8

http://www.uscho.com/stats/team-details.ph...m/sort,PTS.html

We can't blame our young D for these numbers.

Our best players are on both special team units, obviously playing against the other team's best. Maybe our "best" aren't as good as our opponents?

During our Final 5 run (and before) we have been spoiled with "NHL almost-ready talent" - the 06 and 07 classes did not have that type of player and it is showing now with the early departures gone.

We could still be a contender but we will need to rely on winning ugly this year along with great goaltending.

I think the big ice will help the Sioux a bit this weekend, though having Mr. Finley back on D would be a big plus. I look to the experience of Mr. Duncan, the creative speed of Mr. Genoway (remember last year's coast to coast stuff on Bachman?) and the bonus hands of Kozek, size of Vande Velde, and the busy-bee attitude of Messers Trupp and Gregoire to give the Tigers all they want. and then some.

I have to give the nudge to the Sioux on depth of talent, with four very dangerous lines. If they can stay out of the box, and capitalize on their scoring chances, I like them for at least 3 of 4 points on the weekend.

Go get 'em Sioux! :lol:

i think the sioux have more depth up front than cc, with four solid lines that have the potential to contribute, although we can't seem to put the puck away. special teams needs a kick in the a$$, pp and pk have been horrible so far. i think our blueliners have been wildly inconsistent, and will need to step it up if we have any chance at all this weekend. eidsness will need to be better this weekend. bachman is a beast, plain and simple, and i don't like him :lol: i think he has the potential to carry cc to a national championship... yes i am saying that four weeks into the season, he is that good. 0.960 save % and 1.2 gaa, just stupid good numbers. i don't know how to get to bachman, i hope we figure it out this weekend. i think we can win a dirty one, and think 2 points is a good goal for this weekend, anything more would be a big bonus. lets continue to improve and play a full 60 minutes of hockey each night. GO SIOUX!! anyone for the duncan, vv, gregoire line?

I think it gives UND a prime oppurtunity to prove they can play. It's going to be hard, but picking up 4 points from these guys will be huge in more ways than one.

We are 2-4 right now. BC started 2-12 last year. We need to lose 8 more in a row to get to that level. I'm not too worried yet.

Again - BC did not start 2-12 last year.

I think it is possible.

Hey I'm no pessimist but let's be realistic here. Can we possibly get 4 points? Yes.

Based upon how we've played so far will we get 4 points? No.

I would be ecstatic with a split.

So far we can't score on the power play, we are below average on the penalty kill, our defensemen have played soft and have not taken guys out in the crease, our forwards have had a tough time scoring, and our goaltending has been average at best.

So what do we need:

1. We need to score some stinking goals. We've been outscored 23-13 in the 6 games we've played. That's about an average of getting beat 4-2 every game. Not good. Heck the only team in the WCHA to score fewer goals than us so far is Michigan Tech. We need to score more.

2. We need our defensemen, including Genoway, to play defense first. Heck we were tied last weekend and three straight times Genoway, Marto, and LaPoint are rushing the net and the next thing you know Wisconsin is coming down with an odd man rush.

3. We need to help out our goaltender. Eidsness seems to already have been chosen as the Number 1 tender but he's young. Clear those guys out in front of the net, play the body, and stop giving the dang puck away.

The season has just begun but we need to get back to some basics first and then I think we can turn this ship around.

Right now we are 2-4. If I think optimistically we split at CC, we sweep UAA, we split at Duluth, we sweep Cornell and we split with St Cloud. That puts us at 9-7 going into Christmas break when we play in the GLI. I'd be happy with that.

What do you think?