SiouxSports.com Forum

former players

schmidtdoggydog

Oh my gawd!! What a first period!!! The Devils are HOT, HOT, HOT!!

I loved ZPar's smile after his little push and shove with Commodore. Reminds me of Mikie Prpich!! I think ZPar may have picked up that play from Prp.

The big smile that seems to be plastered on Prpich's face is another lasting image with fans. He said that he understands that can make opponents even more upset.

"Guys will see that no matter what they do, I'll still end up smiling," Prpich said. "That will get in some people's heads and make them more angry and make them want to kill me even more."

David Hale had an assist today too. He also had 2 penalties.

Commie had 2 penalties too.

EDIT: Anyone catch the OT winner Pomminville scored on the Sens tonight? It reminded me a TON of BC's player doing us in beating Goehring back in 2001. Only it was done short handed tonight. So, how's dem apples? The Sens get a gift PP and they let the Sabres have the only chance that PP had in it. Sens deserved to lose because they forgot about the #1 rule in a PP situation: NO Short handed chances.

Did anybody else see the hit Parise put on Doug Weight in Saturday's game? They were going for a loose puck near the boards, and Parise absolutely flattened him.

Yeah, it was great to see his physicality! A little something he learned as a Fighting Sioux hockey player. ???

Yeah, it was great to see his physicality! A little something he learned as a Fighting Sioux hockey player. ???

Commi has been all over Parise and Gionta all series. It has been really fun to watch. I am hoping the Canes dispatch the Devils or Debbies as some refer to them tonight.

Commi has been all over Parise and Gionta all series. It has been really fun to watch. I am hoping the Canes dispatch the Devils or Debbies as some refer to them tonight.

Parise gets an assist on the first goal in tonights game. Go Debbies! :D

I wish the Devils won. They lost 4-1. Something just didn't click for this entire series for the Devils.

Too bad for Zach and David. I think they played ok.

Good news for Canes fans though. I hope the Canes go all the way this year. They will have to be smart though. Ottawa was a team of idiots in OT in their last game vs. the Sabres and they paid for it (Gee, I wonder why 4 Sabres were better than 5 Senators? Probably because they weren't paying attention to the fact they were up a man. No excuses whatsoever for losing the game in that fashion. NONE).

I think Buffalo exits in 6 games.

Forgot to mention that Zach Parise got an assist on the only NJ goal.

Hale and Commie each spent 2 minutes in the penalty box.

Low penatly minutes for both, Commie was in and out of the Pentaly Box most of the series and Hale had a few himself.

Low penatly minutes for both, Commie was in and out of the Pentaly Box most of the series and Hale had a few himself.

I don't look at amounts of penalties a defenseman gets as anything really that tell-tale regarding his play other than the fact that the defenseman getting all the penalties is either:

1. Young and inexperienced

2. Plays an exceptionally physical game.

If you hit hard enough, eventually you are going to get called for it simply for the ferocity of the hit itself can sometimes make it look illegal.

Of course, those 2 reasons assume that the defenseman in question isn't 1. just a bad defenseman and 2. Not a cheap, cheating numbskull.

Hale, Commodore, and Greene have one thing in common. They play hard-nosed, in your face, hard core physical hockey. I guess Mullet Melrose (I think?) would call it "smash mouth" hockey. Hence, they spend a lot of time in the box because they're always hitting someone.

I don't look at amounts of penalties a defenseman gets as anything really that tell-tale regarding his play other than the fact that the defenseman getting all the penalties is either:

1. Young and inexperienced

2. Plays an exceptionally physical game.

If you hit hard enough, eventually you are going to get called for it simply for the ferocity of the hit itself can sometimes make it look illegal.

Of course, those 2 reasons assume that the defenseman in question isn't 1. just a bad defenseman and 2. Not a cheap, cheating numbskull.

Hale, Commodore, and Greene have one thing in common. They play hard-nosed, in your face, hard core physical hockey. I guess Mullet Melrose (I think?) would call it "smash mouth" hockey. Hence, they spend a lot of time in the box because they're always hitting someone.

There were a few dumb ones in there for both Greene and Hale. I think each threw a puck or two into the stands.

Greene's last night should never had resulted in a PP for San Jose. Not sure how a dog pile in the crease with the SJ player throwing shots with Greene means only Greene should go.

Matt Greene takes the first penalty for the Oilers last night, and plays ~6 minutes total. At least he's getting some good experience, and hopefully he'll be seeing as much time as Chris Pronger is at this point in the playoffs = 30 minutes.

i just got back home to North Carolina, and holy crap the "Caniacs" are going wild. And not just for the Canes, but for Commodore too. So many fans go for the big red fro and white robe at the games. The announcers really love him too. Its great to see this kinda respect for a former Sioux player in the NHL. Last night i was at a local bar, and they showed highlights from the San Jose-Edmonton game, and I saw Greene on there when Edmonton scored. I was there with a few friends and started telling them about how I got to see him play on MY college team last year, and now on the Oilers. A lot of the guys at the bar began to listen, some asking questions about the school and team, and some had at least heard of us. I went on to talk about Stafford, Zajac, and Smaby, and how i watched these guys play this year, and most likely will see them all next year playing for their respective NHL teams. I also talked about Parise, Hale, Commy, and Blake being ex-Sioux players. It was my first time to get to talk about my college hockey team, and everything it produces in a setting like that down here. It was pretty much a greatly proud moment to know people were so interested (drunk or not haha).

On another note, i bought my little brother (16) one of the t-shirts from the Frozen Four. He wore it to his high school on Monday, and his band teacher told him he was a "brave man" for wearin that shirt, cause of all the controversy. I went to the school to bum around, cause i went there for high school too, and figured I'd drop by his band teacher's office. I talked to him for a while about the controversy going on, and was surprised to find out how much he knew about it all, including about the Sioux nickname.

Its amazing to come down here and see more and more people who know about the school, or the team. It makes me even more proud of my former school.

As Stafford will no longer be competing in Latvia with USA's loss yesterday, does anyone know if he has a shot at playing in the Stanley Cup playoffs?

There is no chance he will play in the playoffs. They are in the conference finals and he has not even practiced with the team let alone prove he is ready to step into the NHL.

Its amazing to come down here and see more and more people who know about the school, or the team. It makes me even more proud of my former school.

Funny..... I've often said the same here in STL.

This past year, my 14 year old had the privledge of playing for Al MacInnis. Even in STL, youth hockey is big and heavily influenced by former pro's such as Al, Federko, Basil McRae, Jeff Brown and Zombo, as well as current Blues players Tkachuk, Jackman, and Mayers. You see them at the rinks with their kids and they also coach several teams (Al coached both of his older sons this past year).

In Al's role with the Blues (post-retirement), he's responsible for checking on draft picks and prospects. Early in the season he made the trip go Grand Forks when the Sioux played the Gophers. He had only good things to say about the experience, especially about the coaching staff, players and facilities. Most of all, he stated how much excitement and energy was in the building during the series.

Kinda cool to see a future hall-of-famer say such kind things about your school, not just in front of you but to NHL exec's :)